Connect with us

Published

on

Migrants arriving illegally in the UK in small boats or stowed away in lorries will be refused British citizenship, new Home Office guidance states.

The “Good Character” guidance for immigration staff has been changed to say people who have arrived in the UK illegally “having made a dangerous journey… will normally be refused citizenship” from 10 February, regardless of when they arrived.

It says a dangerous journey includes “but is not limited to, travelling by small boat or concealed in a vehicle or other conveyance”.

Politics latest: Justice secretary announces reforms to probation service

The guidance clarifies this does not include arriving as a passenger on a commercial airline.

Previously, refugees who arrived by irregular routes had to wait 10 years before being considered for citizenship.

The Home Office said the change “further strengthens” measures to make it clear anyone entering the UK illegally will be refused British citizenship.

More from Politics

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Migrant weekend crossings explained

People arriving in small boats have risen by almost a third since Labour took office, with nearly 25,000 people arriving between 4 July 2024 and 6 February 2025 – 28% higher than the same dates a year before.

It is also the second highest figure since records began in 2018.

Some Labour MPs and the Refugee Council have condemned the latest guidance as they say it will mean refugees can live in the UK but will not be allowed to have a place in society.

Labour MP Stella Creasy said on X the guidance “should be changed asap”.

“If we give someone refugee status, it can’t be right to then refuse them route to become a British citizen,” she wrote.

“To say they can have a home in our country, but never a place in our society and be forever second class.”

Read more:
Palestinian family allowed to remain in UK after applying through Ukrainian refugee scheme
Labour suspends 11 councillors over WhatsApp scandal

A group of people thought to be migrants are brought in to Dover, Kent, from a Border Force vessel following a small boat incident in the Channel. Picture date: Wednesday February 5, 2025.
Image:
The new guidance says small boats arrivals will not get citizenship

The Refugee Council said the change “flies in the face of reason” and said the British public want refugees in the UK “to integrate and contribute to their new communities, so it makes no sense for the government to erect more barriers”.

“We urge ministers to urgently reconsider,” Enver Solomon, CEO of the NGO said.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “There are already rules that can prevent those arriving illegally from gaining citizenship.

“This policy guidance further strengthens measures to make it clear that anyone who enters the UK illegally, including small boat arrivals, faces having a British citizenship application refused.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Migrant crisis: Are Labour doing enough?

Labour’s manifesto promised to “smash the gangs”, with the government creating a Border Security Command and introducing new powers for authorities to prevent people smugglers from travelling, stop mobile phone use and shut down bank accounts.

On Monday, the second reading of the government’s Border, Security, Asylum and Immigration Bill was passed with an overwhelming majority.

The bill officially scraps the Conservatives’ plan to send illegal immigrants to Rwanda and provides the legal backing to boost police powers against people smugglers.

The Conservatives have not yet responded to the new guidance but leader Kemi Badenoch last week said she would toughen up citizenship rules to make it more difficult for new immigrants to be able to permanently settle in the UK.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending