Connect with us

Published

on

Conclave has taken the top prize at this year’s BAFTA film awards, winning best film as well as outstanding British film.

Based on Robert Harris’s 2016 novel of the same name, and centred around the selection of a new pope, the movie also won best adapted screenplay and best editing.

Thanking his ensemble cast as he accepted the award, director Edward Berger said: “What you did to me on set when I watched you was pure magic, it was beyond my grasp or understanding.”

It’s not the first BAFTA success for the German filmmaker, who swept the board two years ago with his remake of All Quiet On The Western Front, taking seven prizes. Conclave is his first English-language film.

Adrien Brody in the press room after winning the Best Actor in a Leading Role award for The Brutalist during the 78th British Academy Film Awards, at the Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre, London. Picture date: Sunday February 16, 2025. PA Photo. See PA story SHOWBIZ Bafta. Photo credit should read: Ian West/PA Wire.
Image:
Adrien Brody . Pic: PA

BAFTA Awards 2025: The full list of winners

Despite being the most nominated movie of the night, Conclave did not take any acting prizes, with its star Ralph Fiennes losing out to The Brutalist lead Adrien Brody in the hotly contested best actor category.

Brody’s portrayal of Hungarian architect Lazlo Toth saw the 51-year-old actor bag his first BAFTA statuette.

More on Bafta

New York-born Brody said the gong was “incredibly meaningful”, adding: “England has felt quite a bit like home lately.”

The three-and-a-half-hour-long epic, which is largely set in America following World War II, also took best director, best original score and best cinematography.

Accepting his director award, Brady Corbet, told the audience that despite being “humbled” and “grateful” for his win, there really was “no such thing” as best director.

Conclave and The Brutalist were joint winners across the night, taking four gongs each.

Ralph Fiennes at the BAFTAs. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Ralph Fiennes. Pic: Reuters

Anora, about a Brooklyn sex worker who marries into money, saw its break-out lead star, Mikey Madison take the top prize, after many had forecast a win for Demi Moore.

Accepting her award, the 25-year-old actress took her moment on the stage to honour the sex worker community, who she said had helped her immeasurably in her preparation for the role, telling them: “I see you. You deserve respect and human decency. I will always be a friend and an ally.”

Anora also took the casting prize.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Timothee Chalamet and Kylie Jenner

Emilia Perez, which has come under fire in recent weeks following resurfaced tweets from its lead star Karla Sofia Gascon, took best film not in the English language. Gascon was not at the event.

An emotional Zoe Saldaña, took best supporting actress for her outstanding performance in the musical – in which she acts, sings and dances – telling the audience her win was “so validating” and “a true honour”.

Zoe Saldana was named best supporting actress for her performance in Emilia Perez. Pic: PA
Image:
Zoe Saldana was named best supporting actress for her performance in Emilia Perez. Pic: PA

As she accepted her prize the 46-year-old star said: “I was told not to cry by my children, so I’m going to try. This is so validating because the very few times I tried to go for roles with a British accent I was told this isn’t going to happen.”

She ended her emotional speech by saying: “Films are supposed to change hearts and challenge minds and I hope Emilia Perez did something like this, because voices need to be heard, just not my English accent.”

Saldana, who won in the same category at the Golden Globes last month will be hoping to follow up her success with an Oscar in March.

An early front-runner in awards season, mostly Spanish language movie Emilia Perez had already been under fire from parts of the trans community for what some considered to be a retrograde step in representation, as well as those who objected to stereotypical depictions of Mexicans, as well as its handling of the sensitive topic of narcotics crime, which has claimed hundreds of thousands of lives.

Going into the night with 11 nominations, it took two overall.

Jesse Eisenberg won the BAFTA for best original screenplay for A Real Pain. Pic: PA
Image:
Jesse Eisenberg won the BAFTA for best original screenplay for A Real Pain. Pic: PA

Kieran Culkin, 42, won best supporting actor for his role in comedy A Real Pain, with his co-star and the film’s writer Jesse Eisenberg accepting the gong on his behalf due to a member of Culkin’s family being unwell, meaning he stayed in New York to be by their side.

The movie, about two cousins revisiting their family history in Poland, also took best original screenplay.

Body horror The Substance took a well-deserved win for best makeup and hair, despite Moore missing out on the best actress win.

Back to host for a second year running, Scottish actor David Tennant opened the show singing The Proclaimers’ I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles), before encouraging members of the starry audience to get involved.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

BAFTA Awards 2025: The big wins and moments of the night

With 42 gongs to hand out, from a host of well-known presenters, the first award of the night went to Dune: Part Two which took special visual effects. It also won best sound.

Elsewhere, Wallace And Gromit: Vengeance Most Fowl bagged best children’s and family film as well a best animated feature.

Accepting his second prize, Aardman director Nick Park joked: “I didn’t actually write a second speech.”

Republican Irish-language band Kneecap lived up to their promise, giving it plenty of attitude on the red carpet, and with the film’s director Rich Peppiatt taking outstanding debut.

The music biopic about Mo Chara, Moglai Bap and DJ Provai (who wore his trademark balaclava in the colours of the Irish flag) had been up for six BAFTAs, despite failing to make it onto the Oscars shortlist last month.

Kneecap on the BAFTA Film Awards 2025 red carpet. Pic: PA
Image:
Kneecap on the red carpet. Pic: PA

While it was up for seven awards, BAFTA voters didn’t seem to be feeling too much of the Wicked magic, with the Wizard Of Oz prequel taking just two prizes – best production design and best costume design.

Despite being up for six awards, A Complete Unknown, went home empty-handed.

Lack of gongs aside, the movie’s star Timothée Chalamet still managed to cause plenty of buzz on the night, thanks to the fact he was accompanied to the ceremony with his girlfriend Kylie Jenner – part of the ubiquitous Kardashian clan.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Meet the stars on the BAFTAs red carpet

In a pre-announced win, British star Warwick Davis, best known for fantasy film Willow and the Harry Potter movies, was awarded the prestigious BAFTA film fellowship for both his performing and advocacy work.

The In Memoriam section of the night was led by Wicked star Jeff Goldblum playing As Time Goes By on the piano as late stars including Dame Maggie Smith, David Lynch and Dame Joan Plowright were honoured.

MediCinema was awarded the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award, and Alien Romulus actor David Jonsson won the only publicly voted award of the night, the rising star, which celebrates up-and-coming talent.

And in a balloon-filled performance, Take That’s current line up of Gary Barlow, Howard Donald and Mark Owen performed their 2008 hit Greatest Day, a track which has been given a new lease of life thanks to its prominence in Anora.

Continue Reading

UK

‘Major incident’ declared in Northern Ireland as wildfire breaks out amid higher-than-normal temperatures

Published

on

By

'Major incident' declared in Northern Ireland as wildfire breaks out amid higher-than-normal temperatures

A major incident has been declared in Northern Ireland after a wildfire broke out, the latest in a series of blazes seen across the UK over the past week amid soaring temperatures.

More than 100 firefighters and 14 fire appliances were at the scene of the “significant” wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire had a front of approximately two miles “including a large area of forestry close to property”, the service said.

A wildfire broke out in Northern Ireland. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image:
The wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown. Pic: Sky Watch NI

“Local residents are requested to avoid the area, a number of roads have been closed, to help support firefighting operations,” the fire service added.

“We ask that all members of the public remain particularly vigilant to the risk of fire at this time. We can reassure members of the public that normal service delivery is being maintained.”

A wildfire broke out in Northern Ireland. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image:
More than 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire. Pic: Sky Watch NI

Various fires erupted across England this week amid uncharacteristically warm and dry conditions for the time of year.

On Saturday, helicopters were deployed to tackle Scotland’s fourth wildfire this week, with police saying a blaze “which started in the Newton Stewart area has spread northwards and is expected to reach the Loch Doon area of East Ayrshire around 12am on Sunday”.

More on Northern Ireland

Police Scotland added: “As a precautionary measure members of the public are asked to avoid the Loch Doon area and anyone who may be camping in the area is advised to leave.”

Dorset wildfires
Image:
Moors Valley Country Park blackened by fires this week

Elsewhere in England, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were assisting the fire service with temporary road closures on the A30 in the Bolventor area as they tackle “a number of fires” on moorland.

In Dorset, Moors Valley Country Park was forced to close after multiple wildfires broke out there on Wednesday.

Read more from Sky News:
Zelenskyy makes dig at US over its response to Russian attack
What hopes are there for the future of Prince Harry’s charity?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Wildfires spread across nature reserve

Separate incidents were then reported at Upton Heath in Poole on Wednesday, and nearby Canford Heath in the early hours of Thursday.

Friday was officially the warmest day of the year so far – with temperatures in the south of England reaching 23C (73.4F) – the highest since 21 September last year, according to the Met Office.

The weather conditions triggered a “severe” wildfire rating for parts of the UK on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

Trending