Connect with us

Published

on

The war in Ukraine is “the frontline for all of us” in Europe, a minister has said after Sir Keir Starmer said he is prepared to put British troops on the ground.

Health Secretary Wes Streeting told Wilfred Frost on Sky News Breakfast the government stands firmly behind Ukraine – not just for Ukrainians, but because Vladimir Putin’s “imperialist expansionist agenda” threatens the UK and Europe’s national security.

Politics latest: PM jets off to Paris for emergency meeting

He said: “There is no greater priority for any government or any government worthy of the name than the security of the nation.

“The prime minister feels this very strongly that the war in Ukraine isn’t just the frontline for the Ukrainians, it’s the front line for all of us on our continent and across our continent.”

His comments come as Sir Keir travels to Paris for an “emergency meeting” of European leaders on Monday after Donald Trump pushed for Europe to provide more support for Kyiv, and the US to spend less.

The new US defence secretary has also told Ukraine that Russia will be able to keep some of the land they have taken by force as Mr Trump held a call with Mr Putin about Ukraine, without Kyiv on the call. The US president is pushing for a deal with Mr Putin to end the war rapidly.

More from Politics

In Paris, Sir Keir is expected to say: “Peace comes through strength. But the reverse is also true. Weakness leads to war.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Is the US turning on Europe?

Mr Trump and his team appeared to undermine US policy since Russia invaded Ukraine that the West would not negotiate unless Ukraine was involved.

Ahead of the meeting of European leaders on Monday, Sir Keir said he was “ready and willing” to put British troops into a peacekeeping force in Ukraine.

Writing in The Daily Telegraph, the prime minister also said the UK was “ready to play a leading role” in Ukraine’s defence and security, by committing £3bn a year until 2030.

The PM last month told Sky News’ political editor Beth Rigby, during a surprise visit to Ukraine, the UK would play its “full part” in peacekeeping efforts in Ukraine.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We’ll play our full part’ in Ukraine, PM tells Sky’s Beth Rigby

Sir Keir is set to travel to Washington DC next week for his first in-person meeting with Mr Trump since he won the election. Another meeting of European leaders, including Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy, is expected to take place after that.

As Mr Trump’s administration essentially ripped up the rules-based post-world war order, his vice president, JD Vance, yet again called for other NATO members to spend more on defence.

The UK currently spends 2.3% of GDP on defence but is aiming for 2.5%, however, Mr Trump has demanded each NATO member spends 5%.

Mr Streeting said it would be a struggle to reach 2.5% due to the “dire finances” Labour inherited from the Conservative government, but said there was no higher priority than the UK and Europe’s security.

“We don’t treat our manifesto lightly,” he said.

“We made all of those commitments in good faith, and we are determined to carry them out and to deliver every single one of them in the same good faith.

“That’s the work all of us are committed to doing. You know, we don’t pretend that the choices we face are easy, but we didn’t ask to come into government for an easy ride.”

Starmer and Macron meeting at Chequers last month. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Emmanuel Macron, seen here with Sir Keir Starmer at the PM’s country residence last month, has called the emergency meeting. Pic: Reuters

Defence sources told Sky News an increase to 2.5% of GDP – which would amount to about an extra £5bn annually – is still far short of what is required to rebuild and transform the armed forces, stressing that an ultimate hike to at least 3% of national income would be necessary.

But the sources said a rapid rise in investment to the government’s promised target of 2.5% of GDP, from 2.3% at present, should prevent new swingeing reductions in capabilities

US officials, including US Secretary of State Mark Rubio, and Russian counterparts are expected to meet in Saudi Arabia for talks this week, however, Ukrainian officials are not expected to be at the table.

Continue Reading

Politics

Bakkt investors file class-action lawsuit after loss of Webull, BoA contracts

Published

on

By

Bakkt investors file class-action lawsuit after loss of Webull, BoA contracts

Bakkt investors file class-action lawsuit after loss of Webull, BoA contracts

A group of investors with cryptocurrency custody and trading firm Bakkt Holdings filed a class-action lawsuit alleging false or misleading statements and a failure to disclose certain information.

Lead plaintiff Guy Serge A. Franklin called for a jury trial as part of a complaint against Bakkt, senior adviser and former CEO Gavin Michael, CEO and president Andrew Main, and interim chief financial officer Karen Alexander, according to an April 2 filing in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York.

The group of investors allege damages as the result of violations of US securites laws and a lack of transparency surrounding its agreement with clients: Webull and Bank of America (BoA).

Law, Investments, United States, Bakkt

April 2 complaint against Bakkt and its executives. Source: PACER

The loss of Bank of America and Webull will result “in a 73% loss in top line revenue” due to the two firms making up a significant percentage of its services revenue, the investor group alleges in the lawsuit. The filing stated Webull made up 74% of Bakkt’s crypto services revenue through most of 2023 and 2024, and Bank of America made up 17% of its loyalty services revenue from January to September 2024.

Related: Bakkt names new co-CEO amid re-focus on crypto offerings

Bakkt disclosed on March 17 that Bank of America and Webull did not intend to renew their agreements with the firm ending in 2025. The announcement likely contributed to the company’s share price falling more than 27% in the following 24 hours. The investors allege Bakkt “misrepresented the stability and/or diversity of its crypto services revenue” and failed to disclose that this revenue was “substantially dependent” on Webull’s contract.

“As a result of Defendants’ wrongful acts and omissions, and the precipitous decline in the market value of the Company’s securities, Plaintiff and other Class members have suffered significant losses and damages,” said the suit.

Other law offices said they were investigating Bakkt for securities law violations, suggesting additional class-action lawsuits may be in the works. Cointelegraph contacted Bakkt for a comment on the lawsuit but did not receive a response at the time of publication.

Prices affected by Trump Media reports

Bakkt’s share price surged roughly 162% in November 2024 after reports suggested that then-US President-elect Donald Trump’s media company was considering acquiring the firm. As of April 2025, neither company has officially announced a deal.

Shares in Bakkt (BKKT) were $8.15 at the time of publication, having fallen more than 36% in the previous 30 days.

Magazine: Meet lawyer Max Burwick — ‘The ambulance chaser of crypto’

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump tariffs squeeze already struggling Bitcoin miners — Braiins exec

Published

on

By

Trump tariffs squeeze already struggling Bitcoin miners — Braiins exec

Trump tariffs squeeze already struggling Bitcoin miners — Braiins exec

The new trade tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump may place added pressure on the Bitcoin mining ecosystem both domestically and globally, according to one industry executive.

While the US is home to Bitcoin (BTC) mining manufacturing firms such as Auradine, it’s still “not possible to make the whole supply chain, including materials, US-based,” Kristian Csepcsar, chief marketing officer at BTC mining tech provider Braiins, told Cointelegraph.

On April 2, Trump announced sweeping tariffs, imposing a 10% tariff on all countries that export to the US and introducing “reciprocal” levies targeting America’s key trading partners.

Community members have debated the potential effects of the tariffs on Bitcoin, with some saying their impact has been overstated, while others see them as a significant threat.

Tariffs compound existing mining challenges

Csepcsar said the mining industry is already experiencing tough times, pointing to key indicators like the BTC hashprice.

Hashprice — a measure of a miner’s daily revenue per unit of hash power spent to mine BTC blocks — has been on the decline since 2022 and dropped to all-time lows of $50 for the first time in 2024.

According to data from Bitbo, the BTC hashprice was still hovering around all-time low levels of $53 on March 30.

Trump tariffs squeeze already struggling Bitcoin miners — Braiins exec

Bitcoin hashprice since late 2013. Source: Bitbo

“Hashprice is the key metric miners follow to understand their bottom line. It is how many dollars one terahash makes a day. A key profitability metric, and it is at all-time lows, ever,” Csepcsar said.

He added that mining equipment tariffs were already increasing under the Biden administration in 2024, and cited comments from Summer Meng, general manager at Chinese crypto mining supplier Bitmars.

Trump tariffs squeeze already struggling Bitcoin miners — Braiins exec

Source: Summer Meng

“But they keep getting stricter under Trump,” Csepcsar added, referring to companies such as the China-based Bitmain — the world’s largest ASIC manufacturer — which is subject to the new tariffs.

Trump’s latest measures include a 34% additional tariff on top of an existing 20% levy for Chinese mining imports. In response, China reportedly imposed its own retaliatory tariffs on April 4.

BTC mining firms to “lose in the short term”

Csepcsar also noted that cutting-edge chips for crypto mining are currently massively produced in countries like Taiwan and South Korea, which were hit by new 32% and 25% tariffs, respectively.

“It will take a decade for the US to catch up with cutting-edge chip manufacturing. So again, companies, including American ones, lose in the short term,” he said.

Trump tariffs squeeze already struggling Bitcoin miners — Braiins exec

Source: jmhorp

Csepcsar also observed that some countries in the Commonwealth of Independent States region, including Russia and Kazakhstan, have been beefing up mining efforts and could potentially overtake the US in hashrate dominance.

Related: Bitcoin mining using coal energy down 43% since 2011 — Report

“If we continue to see trade war, these regions with low tariffs and more favorable mining conditions can see a major boom,” Csepcsar warned.

As the newly announced tariffs potentially hurt Bitcoin mining both globally and in the US, it may become more difficult for Trump to keep his promise of making the US the global mining leader.

Trump’s stance on crypto has shifted multiple times over the years. As his administration embraces a more pro-crypto agenda, it remains to be seen how the latest economic policies will impact his long-term strategy for digital assets.

Magazine: Bitcoin ATH sooner than expected? XRP may drop 40%, and more: Hodler’s Digest, March 23 – 29

Continue Reading

Politics

Malta regulator fines OKX crypto exchange $1.2M for past AML breaches

Published

on

By

Malta regulator fines OKX crypto exchange .2M for past AML breaches

Malta regulator fines OKX crypto exchange .2M for past AML breaches

Cryptocurrency exchange OKX is under renewed regulatory scrutiny in Europe after Maltese authorities issued a major fine for violations of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) laws.

Malta’s Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit (FIAU) fined Okcoin Europe — OKX’s Europe-based subsidiary — 1.1 million euros ($1.2 million) after detecting multiple AML failures on the platform in the past, the authority announced on April 3.

While admitting that OKX has significantly improved its AML policies in the past 18 months, the authority “could not ignore” its past compliance failures from 2023, “some of which were deemed to be serious and systematic,” the FIAU notice said.

OKX was among the first crypto exchanges to receive a license under Europe’s new Markets in Crypto-Assets (MiCA) regulation via its Malta hub in January 2025.

The news of the $1.2 million penalty in Malta came after Bloomberg in March reported that European Union regulators were probing OKX for laundering $100 million in funds from the Bybit hack.

Bybit CEO Ben Zhou previously claimed that OKX’s Web3 proxy allowed hackers to launder about $100 million, or 40,233 Ether (ETH), from the $1.5 billion hack that occurred in February.

This is a developing story, and further information will be added as it becomes available.

Magazine: Stablecoin for cyber-scammers launches, Sony L2 drama: Asia Express

Continue Reading

Trending