Connect with us

Published

on

CoreWeave Inc. signage during the company’s initial public offering at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York, US, on Friday, March 28, 2025. 

Michael Nagle | Bloomberg | Getty Images

It wasn’t supposed to go down like this.

The Trump presidency was set to usher in a rush of money to the markets, spurred by a new era of deregulation and lower taxes that would lead high-valued tech companies off the sidelines and onto public exchanges after a four-year lull in initial public offerings.

Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon said in January that he sensed a “more constructive kind of optimism” and that the IPO market is “going to pick up.”

But a little over two months into President Donald Trump’s second White House term, the first test case has been a flop.

After downsizing its IPO late Thursday and pricing below its expected range, CoreWeave was unchanged in its market debut on Friday, closing at $40 and leaving the company with a market cap that’s right around where the company was valued by private investors a year ago.

The debut coincided with a 2.7% drop in the Nasdaq on Friday, a decline that put the tech-heavy index down more than 10% in 2025 and on pace ofr its worst quarterly performance since mid-2022.

Macro concerns are being driven by President Trump’s tariffs on America’s top trading partners and dramatic government cost cuts, moves that are combining to simultaneously raise prices and lift unemployment. The deterioration in consumer sentiment was even worse than anticipated in March as worries over inflation intensified, according to a University of Michigan survey released Friday.

That all created a tough backdrop for CoreWeave to try and crack open the IPO market, particularly given concerns swirling around the company and its valuation. CoreWeave is one of the leading suppliers of Nvidia’s graphics processing units, or GPUs, for artificial intelligence training and workloads. Demand has been so hot that CoreWeave’s revenue soared more than 700% last year to almost $2 billion.

However, CoreWeave counts on Microsoft for over 60% of sales and recorded a net loss of $863 million last year, due to the hefty costs of GPUs and the expenses associated with leasing and operating data centers. As of Dec. 31, the company had $8 billion in debt.

“It’s a bit disappointing that the price was dropped so significantly at the open,” Joe Medved, a partner at Lerer Hippeau, told CNBC’s “Money Movers” on Friday. “This company has some idiosyncrasies around debt levels and revenue concentration that I think make it a little challenged.”

CoreWeave's market debut: Here's what you need to know

The other tech-related companies that have filed to go public this year have very different profiles. Hinge Health is a digital health company that uses software to help patients treat pain and injuries, while Klarna is an online lender and StubHub runs a ticket marketplace.

Those are a few of the names that investors are waiting to see hit the market in the near future, hoping for a rebound after tech IPOs almost ground to a halt in late 2021 and have hardly picked up since. According to CB Insights, there are more than 1,200 startups worldwide worth at least $1 billion in the private market. Over 50 of them have been valued at $10 billion or more.

Despite a dearth of IPOs, the highest-profile startups have been able to raise cash from hedge funds, private equity firms and sovereign wealth funds, which have all jumped into the late-stage venture capital game. Additionally, megacap tech companies including Microsoft, Google, Amazon and Nvidia (one of CoreWeave’s key investors) have poured billions of dollars into private AI companies.

“If you’re the founders or CEOs of these companies, you don’t want to deal with the public markets. There’s plenty of demand from these private buyers,” Medved said. “There’s not as much incentive to go out.”

CoreWeave could be fine. The stock could turn up at any time and the broader market could rebound in the second quarter, lifting investor confidence in IPOs. And CoreWeave has the benefit of roughly $1.5 billion in fresh capital from its share sale, even though that’s well below the $2.7 billion that would’ve been raised at the top end of its range.

But the tepid reception stands in stark contrast to how IPOs looked during the record years of 2020 and 2021, when tech companies would raise the range, price above the top end and still see the stock jump in its debut.

CoreWeave CEO and co-founder Michael Intrator told CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that the pricing of the company’s IPO reflected “a lot of headwinds in the macro.”

“We believe that as the public markets get to know us, get to know how we execute, get to know how we build our infrastructure, get to know how we build our client relationships and the incredible capacity of our solutions, the company will be very successful,” Intrator said.

WATCH: CoreWeave shares begin trading after opening at $39 per share

CoreWeave shares begin trading after opening at $39 per share

Continue Reading

Technology

Microsoft AI chief Suleyman sees advantage in building models ‘3 or 6 months behind’

Published

on

By

Microsoft AI chief Suleyman sees advantage in building models ‘3 or 6 months behind’

Microsoft owns lots of Nvidia graphics processing units, but it isn’t using them to develop state-of-the-art artificial intelligence models.

There are good reasons for that position, Mustafa Suleyman, the company’s CEO of AI, told CNBC’s Steve Kovach in an interview on Friday. Waiting to build models that are “three or six months behind” offers several advantages, including lower costs and the ability to concentrate on specific use cases, Suleyman said.

It’s “cheaper to give a specific answer once you’ve waited for the first three or six months for the frontier to go first. We call that off-frontier,” he said. “That’s actually our strategy, is to really play a very tight second, given the capital-intensiveness of these models.”

Suleyman made a name for himself as a co-founder of DeepMind, the AI lab that Google bought in 2014, reportedly for $400 million to $650 million. Suleyman arrived at Microsoft last year alongside other employees of the startup Inflection, where he had been CEO.

More than ever, Microsoft counts on relationships with other companies to grow.

It gets AI models from San Francisco startup OpenAI and supplemental computing power from newly public CoreWeave in New Jersey. Microsoft has repeatedly enriched Bing, Windows and other products with OpenAI’s latest systems for writing human-like language and generating images.

Microsoft’s Copilot will gain “memory” to retain key facts about people who repeatedly use the assistant, Suleyman said Friday at an event in Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, headquarters to commemorate the company’s 50th birthday. That feature came first to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, which has 500 million weekly users.

Through ChatGPT, people can access top-flight large language models such as the o1 reasoning model that takes time before spitting out an answer. OpenAI introduced that capability in September — only weeks later did Microsoft bring a similar capability called Think Deeper to Copilot.

Microsoft occasionally releases open-source small-language models that can run on PCs. They don’t require powerful server GPUs, making them different from OpenAI’s o1.

OpenAI and Microsoft have held a tight relationship shortly after the startup launched its ChatGPT chatbot in late 2022, effectively kicking off the generative AI race. In total, Microsoft has invested $13.75 billion in the startup, but more recently, fissures in the relationship between the two companies have begun to show.

Microsoft added OpenAI to its list of competitors in July 2024, and OpenAI in January announced that it was working with rival cloud provider Oracle on the $500 billion Stargate project. That came after years of OpenAI exclusively relying on Microsoft’s Azure cloud. Despite OpenAI partnering with Oracle, Microsoft in a blog post announced that the startup had “recently made a new, large Azure commitment.”

“Look, it’s absolutely mission-critical that long-term, we are able to do AI self-sufficiently at Microsoft,” Suleyman said. “At the same time, I think about these things over five and 10 year periods. You know, until 2030 at least, we are deeply partnered with OpenAI, who have [had an] enormously successful relationship for us.

Microsoft is focused on building its own AI internally, but the company is not pushing itself to build the most cutting-edge models, Suleyman said.

“We have an incredibly strong AI team, huge amounts of compute, and it’s very important to us that, you know, maybe we don’t develop the absolute frontier, the best model in the world first,” he said. “That’s very, very expensive to do and unnecessary to cause that duplication.”

WATCH: Microsoft Copilot beginning of a seismic shift in AI integration, says Microsoft AI CEO Suleyman

Continue Reading

Technology

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, as shareholder, tariffs are ‘not good’

Published

on

By

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, as shareholder, tariffs are 'not good'

President Trump’s new tariffs on goods that the U.S. imports from over 100 countries will have an effect on consumers, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told CNBC on Friday. Investors will feel the pain, too.

Microsoft’s stock dropped almost 6% in the past two days, as the Nasdaq wrapped up its worst week in five years.

“As a Microsoft shareholder, this kind of thing is not good,” Ballmer said, in an interview with Andrew Ross Sorkin that was tied to Microsoft’s 50th anniversary celebration. “It creates opportunity to be a serious, long-term player.”

Ballmer was sandwiched in between Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and current CEO Satya Nadella for the interview.

“I took just enough economics in college — that tariffs are actually going to bring some turmoil,” said Ballmer, who was succeeded by Nadella in 2014. Gates, Microsoft’s first CEO, convinced Ballmer to join the company in 1980.

Gates, Ballmer and Nadella attended proceedings at Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, campus on Friday to celebrate its first half-century.

Between the tariffs and weak quarterly revenue guidance announced in January, Microsoft’s stock is on track for its fifth straight month of declines, which would be the worst stretch since 2009. But the company remains a leader in the PC operating system and productivity software markets, and its partnership with startup OpenAI has led to gains in cloud computing.

“I think that disruption is very hard on people, and so the decision to do something for which disruption was inevitable, that needs a lot of popular support, and nobody could game theorize exactly who is going to do what in response,” Ballmer said, regarding the tariffs. “So, I think citizens really like stability a lot. And I hope people — individuals who will feel this, because people are feeling it, not just the stock market, people are going to feel it.”

Ballmer, who owns the Los Angeles Clippers, is among Microsoft’s biggest fans. He said he’s the company’s largest investor. In 2014, shortly after he bought the basketball team for $2 billion, he held over 333 million shares of the stock, according to a regulatory filing.

“I’m not going to probably have 50 more years on the planet,” he said. “But whatever minutes I have, I’m gonna be a large Microsoft shareholder.” He said there’s a bright future for computing, storage and intelligence. Microsoft launched the first Azure services while Ballmer was CEO.

Earlier this week Bloomberg reported that Microsoft, which pledged to spend $80 billion on AI-enabled data center infrastructure in the current fiscal year, has stopped discussions or pushed back the opening of facilities in the U.S. and abroad.

JPMorgan Chase’s chief economist, Bruce Kasman, said in a Thursday note that the chance of a global recession will be 60% if Trump’s tariffs kick in as described. His previous estimate was 40%.

“Fifty years from now, or 25 years from now, what is the one thing you can be guaranteed of, is the world needs more compute,” Nadella said. “So I want to keep those two thoughts and then take one step at a time, and then whatever are the geopolitical or economic shifts, we’ll adjust to it.”

Gates, who along with co-founder Paul Allen, sought to build a software company rather than sell both software and hardware, said he wasn’t sure what the economic effects of the tariffs will be. Today, most of Microsoft’s revenue comes from software. It also sells Surface PCs and Xbox consoles.

“So far, it’s just on goods, but you know, will it eventually be on services? Who knows?” said Gates, who reportedly donated around $50 million to a nonprofit that supported Democratic nominee Kamala Harris’ losing campaign.

— CNBC’s Alex Harring contributed to this report.

WATCH: There will be many LLM winners, says infrastructure investor Morrison

Continue Reading

Technology

AppLovin can offer TikTok ‘much stronger bid than others,’ CEO says

Published

on

By

AppLovin can offer TikTok 'much stronger bid than others,' CEO says

Piotr Swat | Lightrocket | Getty Images

AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi provided more clarity on the ad-tech company’s late-stage effort to acquire TikTok, calling his offer a “much stronger bid than others” on CNBC’s The Exchange Friday afternoon.

Foroughi said the company is proposing a merger between AppLovin and the entire global business of TikTok, characterizing the deal as a “partnership” where the Chinese could participate in the upside while AppLovin would run the app.

“If you pair our algorithm with the TikTok audience, the expansion on that platform for dollars spent will be through the roof,” Foroughi said.

The news comes as President Trump announced he would extend the deadline a second time for TikTok’s Chinese-owned parent company ByteDance to sell the U.S. subsidiary of TikTok to an American buyer or face an effective ban on U.S. app stores. The new deadline is now in June, which, as Foroughi described, “buys more time to put the pieces together” on AppLovin’s bid. 

“The president’s a great dealmaker — we’re proposing, essentially an enhancement to the deal that they’ve been working on, but a bigger version of all the deals contemplated,” he added.

AppLovin faces a crowded field of other interested U.S. backers, including Amazon, Oracle, billionaire Frank McCourt and his Project Liberty consortium, and numerous private equity firms. Some proposals reportedly structure the deal to give a U.S. buyer 50% ownership of the company, rather than a complete acquisition. The Chinese government will still need to approve the deal, and AppLovin’s interest in purchasing TikTok in “all markets outside of China” is “preliminary,” according to an April 3 SEC filing.

Correction: A prior version of this story incorrectly characterized China’s ongoing role in TikTok should AppLovin acquire the app.

WATCH: AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi on its bid to buy TikTok

AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi on its bid to buy TikTok

Continue Reading

Trending