Connect with us

Published

on

Sir Keir Starmer has said the government will debate emergency legislation on Saturday to keep the British Steel plant in Scunthorpe open as “our economic and national security is on the line”.

The prime minister added that “the future of British Steel hangs in the balance” and that legislation will be passed tomorrow to allow the government to “take control of the plant and preserve all viable options” for it.

MPs are being summoned back from Easter recess to Westminster to debate draft legislation on the plans, and will sit from 11am on Saturday.

The government had been actively considering nationalising British Steel after Jingye, its Chinese owner in Scunthorpe, cancelled future orders for the iron ore, coal and other raw materials needed to keep the last blast furnaces in the UK running.

Follow latest: Live politics updates

Jingye also rejected a £500m state rescue package in a move which raised fresh doubts about the 3,500 people employed at the Lincolnshire plant – with it feared the site would be forced to close as early as next week.

The steel from the plant is used in the rail network and the construction and automotive industries. Without the plant, Britain would be reliant on imports at a time of trade wars and geopolitical instability.

More from Politics

In a short statement delivered from Downing Street this evening, Sir Keir said: “I will always act in the national interest to protect British jobs and British workers.

“This afternoon, the future of British Steel hangs in the balance.

“Jobs, investment, growth, our economic and national security are all on the line.”

One of the two blast furnaces at British Steel's Scunthorpe operation
Image:
One of the two blast furnaces at British Steel’s Scunthorpe operation

‘A new era of global instability’

The prime minister added that he has been to the site in Scunthorpe and met the steelworkers there.

He said that he understands how “important steel is” to the “whole country” and continued: “It’s part of our national story, Part of the pride and heritage of this nation.

“And I’ll tell you this, it is essential for our future.

“(The government’s) plan for change means we need more steel, not less. So we will act with urgency… This situation and our response is unique.

“While it is true that we’re facing a new era of global instability, our concerns about this plant and negotiations to protect it have been running for years.”

Sir Keir said parliament will be recalled for a “Saturday sitting” and will “pass emergency legislation” in “one day” to give the business secretary the powers to do “everything possible to stop the closure of these blast furnaces”.

He added: “We will keep all options on the table. Our future is in our hands.”

Chancellor Rachel Reeves posted on X after the statement that the government is “taking action to save British steel production and protect British jobs”.

“We are securing Britain’s future,” she added.

The Lords will also return to parliament for a rare Saturday sitting tomorrow.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Inside the UK’s last blast furnaces

Tory leader criticises Starmer

Business Secretary Jonathan Reynolds said this evening that the Chinese owner of British steel has left the government with “no choice” but to act.

Jingye had confirmed plans to close the blast furnaces at Scunthorpe immediately despite months of talks and the offer of £500m of co-investment from the UK government, Mr Reynolds added in a statement.

It came as Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch said the government has landed itself in a “steel crisis entirely of their own making”.

“As business secretary, I negotiated a modernisation plan with British Steel to limit job losses and keep the plant running, including introducing an electric arc furnace in Teesside, similar to what we did with Tata at Port Talbot steelworks.

“However, the union-led Labour government have bungled the negotiations, insisting on a Scunthorpe-only deal that the company has deemed unviable. Keir Starmer should have seen this coming. But instead of addressing it earlier in the week when parliament was sitting, their incompetence has led to a last-minute recall of parliament.”

She added the government’s attempts to find a solution to the crisis are inevitably “going to cost taxpayers a lot of money”.

A general view shows British Steel's Scunthorpe plant.
Pic Reuters
Image:
British Steel’s Scunthorpe plant.
Pic Reuters

Meanwhile the Unite union welcomed Sir Keir’s announcement by saying it is “absolutely the right things to do to begin the process of nationalisation”.

The government has not confirmed plans to nationalise the company, but like the prime minister this evening, Chancellor Rachel Reeves said earlier this week that “all options” are on the table.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said this evening: “I am pleased that the government has listened to representations by Unite and other steel unions over the future of British Steel.

“Ministers could not have allowed a foundation industry to go under with the loss of more than 3,000 jobs and key skills… Discussions have been positive and whilst a longer-term plan needs to be developed, this gives workers the reprieve we have been asking for.”

‘When it was Wales, they mocked’

The government’s intervention over British Steel comes six months after the last blast furnace was closed at Port Talbot in Wales.

Welsh political party Plaid Cymru has questioned why the government didn’t take similiar action to save that steelworks.

The party’s Westminster leader Liz Saville Roberts MP said: “Parliament is being recalled tomorrow to debate the nationalisation of Scunthorpe steelworks.

“But when global market forces devastated Welsh livelihoods in Port Talbot, Labour dismissed Plaid Cymru’s calls for nationalisation as ‘pipe dreams’.

“In a real emergency, governments step up to defend their strategic interests. Plaid Cymru recognised the importance of Welsh steelmaking. Labour chose to look the other way.

“When it was Wales, they mocked. Now it’s England, they act.

“Labour has taken Wales for granted for far too long – and the people of Wales won’t forget it.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Reeves fighting claims she ‘lied’ about deficit – as Starmer set to back her budget

Published

on

By

Reeves fighting claims she 'lied' about deficit - as Starmer set to back her budget

Rachel Reeves is fighting claims that she “lied” to the public about the state of the finances in the run-up to last Wednesday’s budget – in which she raised £26bn in taxes.

It follows a letter published by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the official watchdog which draws up forecasts for the Treasury, published on Friday.

In it, OBR chair Richard Hughes (who is already under fire for the leak of the budget measures) said he’d taken the unusual step of revealing the forecasts it had submitted to Rachel Reeves in the 10 weeks before the budget, and which is normally shrouded in secrecy.

The OBR sent this table revealing its timings and outcomes of the fiscal forecasts reported to the Treasury
Image:
The OBR sent this table revealing its timings and outcomes of the fiscal forecasts reported to the Treasury

Sir Keir Starmer congratulates Rachel Reeves after the budget
Image:
Sir Keir Starmer congratulates Rachel Reeves after the budget

The letter reveals this timeline, which has plunged the chancellor into trouble:

17 September – first forecast

At this point, it was already known that the UK’s growth forecast would be downgraded. The chancellor was told that the “increases in real wages and inflation” would offset the impact of the downgrade. The deficit forecast by the end of the parliament was £2.5bn.

20 October – second forecast

More on Budget 2025

By this point, that deficit had turned into a small surplus of £2.1bn – i.e. the productivity downgrade has been wiped out and “both of the government’s fiscal targets were on course to be met”.

31 October – third forecast

The final one before the Treasury put forward its measures. The finances were now net positive with a £4.2bn surplus.

But the accusation is that Rachel Reeves was presenting an entirely different picture – that she had a significant black hole which needed to be filled.

13 October

Ms Reeves tells Sky’s deputy political editor Sam Coates the productivity downgrade has been challenging but added: “I won’t duck those challenges. Of course we’re looking at tax and spending.”

👉 Click here to listen to Electoral Dysfunction on your podcast app 👈

27 October

With the Treasury now aware the deficit had been wiped out, the Financial Times was briefed about a “£20bn hit to public finances.”

4 November

Ms Reeves gave a dawn news conference in Downing Street, setting the stage for tax rises. She says she wants people “to understand the circumstances we are facing… productivity performance is weaker than previously thought”, adding that “we will all have to contribute”.

10 November

Ms Reeves tells BBC 5Live that sticking to Labour’s promises not to raise taxes would require “things like deep cuts in capital spending”. The stage seemed set for the nuclear option – the first income tax rise in decades.

13 November

After headlines about a plot to oust Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, the Financial Times reported that the chancellor had dropped plans to raise income tax because of improved forecasts [which we now know hadn’t changed since 31 October], putting the black hole closer to £20bn than £30bn.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Budget 2025: ‘It’s sickening’

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘You’ve broken a manifesto pledge, haven’t you?’

The prime minister’s spokesperson has insisted Ms Reeves did not mislead voters and set out her choices, and the reasons for them, at the budget.

But the issue has had enormous cut-through, with newspapers giving it top billing.

The Sun’s Saturday front page headline – “Chancer of the Exchequer – fury at Reeves ‘lies’ over £30bn black hole” – will not have been pleasant reading for ministers.

She now has questions to answer about the chaotic run-up to the budget – of briefing and counter-briefing, which critics say now makes little sense.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch said on Saturday: “We have learned that the chancellor misrepresented the OBR’s forecasts. She sold her ‘Benefits Street’ budget on a lie. Honesty matters… she has to go.”

Economist Paul Johnson, former director of the respected Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), told The Times the chancellor’s 4 November news briefing “probably was misleading. It was clearly intended to have an impact and confirm what independent forecasters like [the National Institute of Economic and Social Research] and the IFS had been saying”.

“It was designed to confirm a narrative that there was a fiscal hole that needed to be filled with significant tax rises. In fact, as she knew at the time, no such hole existed.”

Read more on budget fallout:
Reeves accused over forecasts
Hospitality ‘needs a lifeline’

Ms Reeves is doing a round of morning interviews on Sunday in which she’ll be grilled over which of her budget measures will generate economic growth (which the government claimed was its number one priority), why they have been unable to tackle rising welfare spending and now about why markets and voters were left confused by dire warnings.

She may claim that she never personally said there was a specific £30bn black hole or that the extra headroom generated by the tax rises will ensure she does not have to come back for more next year.

In an interview with The Saturday’s Guardian, Ms Reeves said she had “chosen to protect public spending” on schools and hospitals in the budget.

She confirmed an income tax rise had been looked at, and insisted that OBR forecasts “move around” after the Treasury has submitted its planned measures. There are plenty more questions to come.

Meanwhile, Sir Keir will use a speech on Monday to support Ms Reeves’ budget decisions and set out his long-term growth plans.

He will praise the budget for bearing down on the cost of living, ensuring economic stability through greater headroom, lower inflation and a commitment to fiscal rules, and protecting investment and public services.

Sir Keir will say “economic growth is beating the forecasts”, but that the government must go “further and faster” to encourage it.

Continue Reading

Politics

Lammy says justice reforms will reduce victims’ suffering – as right to jury trial set to go in some cases

Published

on

By

Lammy says justice reforms will reduce victims' suffering - as right to jury trial set to go in some cases

Victims will be put “front and centre” in reforms to be announced this week, the justice secretary has said, amid reports jury trials will be scrapped in some cases.

Sky News understands ministers have already been briefed on the changes, which would see a judge decide most cases on their own except for murder, rape or manslaughter – or those in the “public interest”.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said the reforms would speed up justice and save victims from “years of torment and delay”.

Nearly 80,000 cases are currently waiting to be heard in crown courts, but a bid to limit the right to jury trial is likely to be divisive.

Shadow justice secretary Robert Jenrick said Mr Lammy should “pull his finger out” to cut the backlog rather than “depriving British citizens of ancient liberties”.

“The right to be tried by our peers has existed for more than 800 years – it is not to be casually discarded when the spreadsheets turn red,” said Mr Jenrick.

Full details are expected in the coming days, but in a statement today Mr Lammy said he had “inherited a courts emergency; a justice system pushed to the brink”.

More on David Lammy

“We will not allow victims to suffer the way they did under the last government, we must put victims front and centre of the justice system,” he added.

Mr Lammy said thousands of lives were on hold due to the case backlog, a “rape victim being told their case won’t come before a court until 2029. A mother who has lost a child at the hands of a dangerous driver, waiting to see justice done”.

He said he wanted a system that “finally gives brave survivors the justice they deserve”.

The justice secretary will reportedly go further than a review recommended. Pic: PA
Image:
The justice secretary will reportedly go further than a review recommended. Pic: PA

.However, it’s been reported Mr Lammy will go further than a review conducted by Sir Brian Leveson.

The retired judge backed the move for juries only in the most serious cases, but also proposed some lesser offences could go to a new intermediate court where a judge would be joined by two lay magistrates.

The Times said Mr Lammy had suggested in an internal memo he would remove the lay element from many serious offences that carry sentences of up to five years.

There are fears such a move could increase miscarriages of justice and racial discrimination.

Read more from Sky News:
Reeves fighting ‘lie’ claims as Starmer set to back budget
Your Party co-founder refuses to enter conference hall

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Work and pensions secretary speaks to Sky about justice reforms

Speaking to Sky News’ Politics Hub programme this week, work and pensions secretary Pat McFadden did not deny the changes were on the way.

The MoJ has laid the ground for the reforms by saying the court backlog could hit 100,000 by 2028 under the current system.

It said just 3% of cases are currently decided by a jury, with more than 90% already dealt with by magistrates alone.

Continue Reading

Politics

Your Party votes to be led by members rather than single MP – avoiding Corbyn-Sultana battle

Published

on

By

Your Party votes to be led by members rather than single MP - avoiding Corbyn-Sultana battle

Your Party will be led by its members rather than a single MP, avoiding a battle between its two co-founders, Jeremy Corbyn and Zarah Sultana.

Members have voted for a collective leadership model rather than a single leadership model, by a margin of 51.6% to 48.4%.

There was a big cheer as the result was announced to delegates gathered in Liverpool for the new movement’s annual founding conference.

Your Party has been marred by factionalism between the two figureheads and had a single leadership model been picked, a big battle for the top job was expected.

But many members told Sky News at the conference that because of the squabbling, they want Your Party to be led by the people rather than “personality icons”.

Collective leadership will see ordinary members who are not MPs elected to senior positions on a Central Executive Committee (CEC), which will decide on party strategy and organisation.

Three key leadership roles will be the Chair, Vice Chair, and Spokesperson, who will be elected by February.

More from Politics

However MPs could become de-facto leaders, as they will be able to sit in the public office holder section of the executive committee.

They must be elected in a one on one vote, with four positions understood to be available.

A Your Party spokesperson said: “This vote shows that we really are doing politics differently: from the bottom-up, not the top-down.

“In Westminster, we have a professional political class increasingly disconnected from ordinary people, serving corporations and billionaires instead of the communities they are supposed to represent.

“With a truly member-led party, we will offer something different: democratic, grassroots, accountable.”

However one ally of Jeremy Corbyn told Sky News: “People have voted against utilising the biggest asset the party had – Jeremy.”

Your Party members have also voted to allow membership of other parties. Current rules don’t permit dual membership, but this sparked a major row on the eve of conference as it emerged figures from the Socialist Workers Party (SWP) had been expelled.

Ms Sultana, who supports dual membership, branded this a “witch hunt” orchestrated by “nameless bureaucrats” close to Mr Corbyn and refused to enter the conference hall on day one.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending