Connect with us

Published

on

French actor Gerard Depardieu has been found guilty of sexually assaulting two women – and handed an 18-month suspended sentence.

Depardieu, 76, was convicted by a court in Paris of groping the women during the filming of the 2021 movie Les Volets Verts (The Green Shutters).

Both victims had been working on the film in behind-the-scenes roles.

Following his convictions, Depardieu was fined €29,040 (about £24,000) and the court requested that he is registered in the national sex offender database.

His lawyer Jeremie Assous said the star, who denied assault and did not attend Tuesday’s hearing, will appeal against the verdict.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Depardieu protected by film industry for decades’

The two victims said they were scared to speak out at the time and were intimidated by Depardieu. “I was petrified”, said one of the women, a set designer named Amelie.

She told the court that Depardieu had trapped her between his legs as she tried to get past him in a corridor, and had then run his hands over her body. “He terrified me – he looked like a madman,” she said.

Plaintiff Amelie K reacts as she speaks to members of the media at the courthouse, as the court convicted French actor Gerard Depardieu of sexual assault of two women, which prosecutors said took place during the filming of "Les Volets Verts," in Paris, France, May 13, 2025. REUTERS/Piroschka van de Wouw
Image:
Amelie, a set designer assaulted by Depardieu, speaks to reporters after the verdict. Pic: Reuters

Depardieu had denied the allegations, and had received support from many actors, directors and even at one point, the French president, Emmanuel Macron, who had previously described the actor as “the pride of France”.

However, his victims said that he attacked them – first using obscene, vulgar and explicit language towards the women before sexually assaulting them.

The court heard that the actor first used vulgar language to abuse them and then grabbed them and ran his hands over their bodies, making crude sexual advances towards them.

Gerard Depardieu arrivesfor his trial.
Pic Reuters
Image:
Gerard Depardieu arriving for his trial in March. Pic: Reuters

‘The end of impunity’

Depardieu, who has appeared in more than 200 movies, claimed that he did not even know what sexual assault was.

But judge Thierry Donard said Depardieu’s explanation of events had been unconvincing and, at times, contradictory.

Carine Durrieu-Diebolt, the lawyer representing victim Amelie, told the court that Depardieu had specifically targeted women who did not enjoy a high profile, saying he would never treat a famous actor the way he behaved towards his two victims.

“He is strong with the weak, and weak with the strong,” she said.

Following the verdict, she told reporters: “It is the victory of two women, but it is the victory of all the women beyond this trial.

“Today we hope to see the end of impunity for an artist in the world of cinema.

“I think that with this decision, we can no longer say that he is not a sexual abuser. And today, as the Cannes Film Festival opens, I’d like the film world to spare a thought for Gerard Depardieu’s victims.”

From left, a plaintiff's lawyer Claude Vincent, lawyer Catherine Le Magueresse, victim Amelie , a plaintiff's lawyer Carine Durrieu Diebolt speak with the media outside a Paris court, after a verdict was delivered on accusations that French actor Gerard Depardieu sexually assaulted two women who were working on a film with him in 2021, in Paris, Tuesday, May 13, 2025. (AP Photo/Thomas Padilla)
Image:
Lawyer Carine Durrieu-Diebolt (right) represented Amelie (centre right). Pic: AP.

‘Women were put in danger’

During cross-examination, Depardieu admitted he had first denied ever touching Amelie, then said he grasped her hips to stop himself from falling over, and then claimed he had grabbed her to get her attention.

Amelie described his account as “obviously completely false” and said she had been mentally scarred by the encounter.

Read more from the trial:
What does the trial mean for #MeToo in France?
Inside the court during the Depardieu trial

Away from the court, Ms Diebolt told Sky News that, after years of being tolerated due to his fame, Depardieu was finally being held accountable for his actions.

“These women were put in danger,” she said. “This is about a line of offences that he committed over many years that were tolerated by the world of cinema because it was Gerard Depardieu.

“Because the financial benefits he brings to the industry are so substantial. He did make some excellent films, but all men are equal before the law.

“Nobody warned Amelie about Depardieu’s behaviour, so his words and actions came as a terrible surprise for her. She still has traumatic flashbacks.”

Rape allegation

Depardieu’s reputation is now in tatters, and there may be more allegations to come.

Ms Diebolt told Sky News that around 20 other women have said that they were attacked by the actor.

And we already know that Depardieu will stand trial again later this year, this time charged with raping the actress Charlotte Arnould.

Ms Arnould has accused Depardieu, a friend of her parents, of raping her at his mansion in Paris.

Actor Charlotte Arnould walks at the courthouse, as the trial of French actor Gerard Depardieu over accusations of sexual assault on two women, which prosecutors say took place during the filming of "Les Volets Verts", continues in Paris, France, March 27, 2025. REUTERS/Abdul Saboor
Image:
Charlotte Arnould has accused Depardieu of rape. File pic: Reuters

When she returned to the house to confront him, she alleges that he raped her once again. Depardieu denies both allegations. If he were to be found guilty, he would face a substantial prison sentence.

Depardieu’s sexual assault conviction is being seen as an important step forward for France’s growing MeToo movement, which he described as “a terror” during the proceedings.

Women demonstrate outside the palace of justice where actor Gerard Depardieu faces trial for the alleged sexual assaults of two women on a film set in 2021, Monday, March 24, 2025 in Paris. (AP Photo/Aurelien Morissard)
Image:
Women demonstrated outside the court in March. Pic: Aurelien Morissard/AP

Gerard Depardieu reacts, as he appears at the courthouse, as his trial for two sexual assaults allegedly committed on the set of the film "Les Volets Verts" continues, in Paris, France, March 25, 2025. REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq
Image:
Gerard Depardieu reacted as he appeared at the courthouse in March. Pic: Stephanie Lecocq/Reuters

After a letter of support Depardieu received prior to the trial from prominent actors and directors, a separate group of around 600 artists wrote their own, condemning the culture of “impunity” and calling for the actor to be fully investigated.

‘Wall of silence’

Emmanuelle Dancourt, president of MeToo Media, told me: “Depardieu is a man with a lot of money around him.

“Everybody could see Depardieu talking badly to women, putting his hand in the wrong place on a woman’s body and saying things that are wrong.

“But Gerard Depardieu’s best friend is silence. In France, you have a wall of silence, and this means impunity. If you are a man with a lot of power and a lot of money, you can do whatever you want.”

In Cannes in 1997. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The star pictured in Cannes in 1997, arguably at the height of his career. Pic: Reuters

Former French President Jacques Chirac awards Depardieu the Chevallier de la Legion d'Honneur at the Elysee Palace in 1996. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Former French President Jacques Chirac awards Depardieu the Legion d’honneur at the Elysee Palace in 1996. Pic: Reuters

Depardieu’s popularity has declined as more and more claims emerged about his conduct.

A recent documentary about him featured footage, filmed in North Korea, of the actor making lewd comments as a young girl rode past on a horse.

When Mr Macron offered his support to Depardieu, denouncing what he called “a manhunt” against the star, another French actor, James Bond star Lea Seydoux, said the president’s words had given a “bad image” of France.

Depardieu was given Russian citizenship as a gift by Vladimir Putin.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jessie J cancels tour dates ahead of second breast cancer surgery

Published

on

By

Jessie J cancels tour dates ahead of second breast cancer surgery

Jessie J has been forced to rearrange or cancel all upcoming tour dates as she will be having a second operation as part of her treatment for breast cancer.

The 37-year-old announced in June that she had been diagnosed with early breast cancer. She had her first operation later in the same month.

The singer, whose real name is Jessica Cornish, was due to tour the UK and Europe in October, before gigs in the US in November.

In a video posted on Instagram, she’s now told fans: “Unfortunately, I have to have a second surgery, nothing too serious, but it has to be done before the end of the year and unfortunately, that falls right in the middle of a tour that I had booked.”

The UK and Europe dates have been postponed until April next year while the US tour has been cancelled.

“So that is what it is, and I’m sorry,” the performer said. “I feel frustrated and sad, but also it is what it is, and I need to be better.

“I need to be healed, and I know this is the right decision to make. So I’m postponing the tour till next year.”

The star has asked fans to “please bear with us for the US tour”, adding that it’s “something that I want to do, but when the time is right”.

“You guys know how much I want to do all of it, but I just can’t,” she said. “And I have to be realistic.”

Read more:
Top Boy actor in court
Banksy artwork put in protective storage

Jessie J has battled numerous health issues, including being diagnosed with a heart condition when she was eight years old and suffering a minor stroke aged 18.

The singer-songwriter has had three number one songs in the UK singles chart, with Price Tag and Domino – both released in 2011 – and 2014’s Bang Bang, a collaboration with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

She won the Critics’ Choice prize at the 2011 BRITs and bagged four Mobo awards in the same year.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘I’m shocked at how fragile I am still’: Cumberbatch and Colman on protecting their sanity from perils of social media

Published

on

By

'I'm shocked at how fragile I am still': Cumberbatch and Colman on protecting their sanity from perils of social media

Actor Benedict Cumberbatch says he’s shocked at how “fragile” he still is – despite years in the spotlight and success in the industry.

It might seem like the Doctor Strange star and The Crown actress Olivia Colman have it all when it comes to money and success – but they are also human like the rest of us.

The pair lead the cast of new satirical black comedy The Roses, which sees picture-perfect couple Ivy and Theo Rose – a rising star chef and ambitious architect – raise their two children in California, while chasing their own dreams.

‘I am shocked at how fragile I am’

But behind its dark humour and comic language, the film also looks at the realities of power imbalance, insecurity and wounded pride – in even the strongest of relationships.

And 49-year-old Cumberbatch – whose character faces a major setback in his career – tells Sky News that in real life the glare of social media only intensifies those type of situations.

“I am shocked at how fragile I am still.

More on Benedict Cumberbatch

“I don’t go anywhere near it [social media] because of that.

“It’s like walking into a place where people want to marry you or kill you. Those extremes.

“I think we will get to a stage, a corporate culture that’s now manifested around it where people are obliged to do that in order to sell their lives, and therefore their brand and what they do for a living.”

Co-star Colman – who’s long-shunned the online world – agrees.

Cumberbatch and Colman in The Roses. Pic: Jaap Buitendijk/ Searchlight Pictures
Image:
Cumberbatch and Colman in The Roses. Pic: Jaap Buitendijk/ Searchlight Pictures

Read more from Sky News:
Taylor Swift announces engagement to Travis Kelce – and reveals huge ring
Bridgerton creator on ‘bizarre’ criticism – Watch

“I’m afraid I am very thin-skinned.

“I don’t look at any of it. My husband will look at a review and if it’s nice he’ll show me – but if it’s anything mean he knows to just go ‘don’t look – don’t look.’

“You just have to learn to be thicker-skinned.

“But actually, I think we need people who are sensitive and kind.”

‘Don’t do it… delete it all’

Colman – now 51, and whose leading role in The Favourite bagged her an Academy Award in 2019 – says no amount of experience and success can shield her from criticism.

“My advice to a young’un – sort of dipping their toe into the world of social media for the first time is absolutely don’t do it.

“Delete it all. If you want a happy life, don’t have any of it. I’ve never had it.”

The movie – directed by Meet The Parents’ Jay Roach with The Favourite screenwriter Tony McNamara – also calls into question the notion of success – asking, is it really possible to have it all?

Or is sacrifice inevitable when it comes to spinning the plates of a high-flying career, marriage and parenthood?

Cumberbatch admits “you can’t do it all without there being a cost”.

“You just have to weigh up what those balances are,” he adds.

Colman says “there are I suppose little sacrifices along the way” – from both sides of a relationship.

The comedy drama offers a fresh take on Warren Adler’s novel The War Of The Roses – and the 1989 hit film adaptation- starring Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner.

Colman and Cumberbatch – both producers on the film – insist they weren’t daunted by that though.

“We wanted to find a project to do together, and we have utter respect for the iconic status of the film and book,” explains Cumberbatch.

“Hopefully this will have its own place in the culture – it’s very different, it’s not a remake – it’s a reimagined jumping-on point.”

“But beyond that, it’s very different,” adds Colman.

Former Doctor Who Ncuti Gatwa and Barbie’s Kate McKinnon also form the cast.

The Roses is out in UK cinemas now.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Top Boy and Eddington actor Micheal Ward granted bail as he appears in court on rape charges

Published

on

By

Top Boy and Eddington actor Micheal Ward granted bail as he appears in court on rape charges

BAFTA-winning actor Micheal Ward has been granted bail after appearing in court charged with two counts of rape.

The 27-year-old, who appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning, is also accused of two counts of assault by penetration, and one count of sexual assault.

The offences relate to one woman and are reported to have taken place in January 2023.

Ward, who starred in the popular British series Top Boy and was awarded BAFTA‘s rising star honour in 2020, spoke to confirm his name, address and date of birth during a short court hearing.

He did not enter any pleas and was granted conditional bail until a further hearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on 25 September.

In a statement issued after the charges were announced last month, Ward denied them “entirely” and said he had co-operated with police throughout their investigation.

The actor’s film credits include Blue Story, The Old Guard and Empire of Light, as well as the current Hollywood Western Eddington.

He was also twice nominated for BAFTA’s best supporting actor prize.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending