Connect with us

Published

on

LAS VEGAS — Vegas Golden Knights captain Mark Stone sat out Game 5 on Wednesday night in the second-round playoff series against the Edmonton Oilers because of an upper-body injury.

Stone was injured in the first period Saturday in a last-second 4-3 victory by the Golden Knights and did not play in the second and third period. He returned, however, to play in Game 4 on Monday, a 3-0 Vegas loss.

Stone had two goals and two assists in the first two games of the series but has not scored a point since then.

The Oilers took a 3-1 series lead into Wednesday’s game.

Continue Reading

Sports

FBI reveals more Pete Rose gambling documents

Published

on

By

FBI reveals more Pete Rose gambling documents

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has released 130 pages of documents relating to Pete Rose, Major League Baseball’s career hits leader who was subsequently banned from the game and the Baseball Hall of Fame until earlier this year for betting on baseball.

The documents focus on Rose’s deceased bookie, Ronald Peters, and a mid-1980s investigation into narcotics and bookmaking operations that Peters ran. Some of the information in the released Rose file appears to have been covered in the 1989 Dowd report, commissioned by Major League Baseball.

Rose was banned from baseball in 1989 following an investigation that showed he bet on baseball. MLB commissioner Rob Manfred removed Rose from the permanently ineligible list in May, allowing him to be eligible for Hall of Fame induction. There is no specific mention of Rose betting on baseball — something he eventually acknowledged having done — in the documents released by the FBI.

Rose died on Sept. 30, 2024, at age 83. After an individual dies, the FBI publicly releases records it maintains on individuals, often with redactions. Many names in the Rose file have been redacted. It is not clear whether there will be further releases of Rose-related files. In this release, 125 additional pages were deleted as duplicates or for reasons such as interagency or intra-agency memos, personnel or medical files, an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy or the revealing of the identity of a confidential source.

Among the documents was a 1987 memo requesting an FBI investigation. The memo cited a cooperating witness who said that “at one time Rose owed Peters $90,000 in sports wagering losses.” In the same memo, police officers in Franklin, Ohio, are said to have seen Rose often enter Peters’ establishment, called Jonathan’s, “through its private entrance.” The same memo alleged Rose was “a silent partner in a bar that Peters operated in Cincinnati before [Peters] moved to Franklin.”

A November 1987 interview with a person whose name was redacted said Rose would bet on 10 football games a weekend in 1986, usually around $1,000 to $2,000 per game, and that at one point Rose owed Peters $80,000. The individual also “believes that Rose bet only on football, basketball, and horse racing; he never saw Rose place a bet on a baseball game.” The report also said the individual believed another person “stole $3,500 of Rose’s money” and that person then left town.

The same person also told the FBI that Rose “sometimes places bets with an individual known to [redacted] only as [redacted] in New York when Peters will not accept Rose’s bets.” In an interview summary with a redacted individual in March 1988, the individual said someone called in bets for Rose but that “if I had called in bets for Pete, or if I knew if [redacted] did, I wouldn’t tell you. I don’t want to implicate a ballplayer.”

A summary of a July 1987 interview with a redacted individual said that person was in a business partnership with Rose until Rose’s “gambling debts created a financial problem for him.” The individual ended the partnership with Rose but remained in touch with both him and Peters, the summary said.

Some of the documents had been released to ESPN in an earlier request for documents relating to Peters, but Rose’s name was redacted at the time.

The vast majority of the file centered around the FBI requesting subpoenas for phone records and surveillance recordings related to Peters. It is unclear whether any of those subpoena requests also tied to Rose or his involvement with Peters.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tong receives ovation, wins debut in Mets’ rout

Published

on

By

Tong receives ovation, wins debut in Mets' rout

NEW YORK — Jonah Tong allowed one earned run in five innings in his major league debut and the New York Mets hit six homers and set a franchise record for runs in a home game in a 19-9 victory over the Miami Marlins on Friday night.

Tong (1-0) received a standing ovation from the sellout crowd of 42,112 when he took the mound for a six-pitch first inning. The 22-year-old Canadian right-hander had a 5-0 lead when he returned for the second, and the Mets made it 12-0 in the bottom of the inning.

With an over-the-top delivery that has drawn comparisons to Tim Lincecum, Tong struck out six without a walk. He threw 63 of 97 pitches for strikes.

In the bottom of the first, Juan Soto hit a two-run homer and Brandon Nimmo had a three-run shot before an out was recorded.

Pete Alonso had a two-run homer in the second. Nimmo added a solo shot in the sixth before Mark Vientos went deep, and Luis Torrens slugged a three-run shot in a six-run eighth off infielder Javier Sanoja.

Tong allowed all four runs in the fifth following fielding errors by Francisco Lindor and Pete Alonso. Lindor dropped a throw from second baseman Brett Baty on a force attempt, and Alonso misplayed a grounder by Jakob Marsee.

After allowing Lopez’s hit, Tong ended his outing by getting a called third strike on a 95 mph fastball against Liam Hicks.

The Mets won for the ninth time in 13 games.

Continue Reading

Sports

Red Sox release Buehler, call up prospect Tolle

Published

on

By

Red Sox release Buehler, call up prospect Tolle

BOSTON — Walker Buehler, who got the final out in the Los Angeles Dodgers‘ World Series victory last season and was expected to be a key member of the Boston rotation this year, was released on Friday after the Red Sox concluded he couldn’t help their playoff push from the bullpen.

Buehler, 31, has struggled since signing a $21.05 million contract with Boston, going 7-7 with a 5.45 ERA. He made 22 starts before he was demoted to the bullpen last week; in his only relief appearance since earning a save in Game 5 of the Series, he allowed two runs in 2⅓ innings of a loss to the New York Yankees on Sunday.

“It’s tough, but this is where we’re at,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said before Friday night’s game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. “I know it didn’t go his way, or our way. He expected more, and we expected more. … I still think he has stuff in the tank.”

A two-time All Star and two-time World Series champion, Buehler is 54-29 in 144 starts over eight major league seasons. He struggled last year coming off a second Tommy John surgery but pitched perfect ninth in the Series clincher two days after pitching five shutout innings as the starter in Game 3.

Because the Red Sox released him rather than designating him for assignment, he is eligible to sign with any other team immediately.

“This is a guy who’s been a really good starting pitcher in this league for a long time,” Chief Baseball Officer Craig Breslow said. “He’s struggled to stay on the field with injuries, but we felt like he could give a boost to our rotation. When it became clear that there would be a better opportunity for him to contribute from the ‘pen, we made that move.”

To fill Buehler’s spot on the roster, the Red Sox called up top pitching prospect Payton Tolle who made his major league debut against Pirates ace Paul Skenes. Tolle had a one-hit shutout through five innings but was lifted after allowing back-to-back singles in the sixth in the Pirates 4-2 win.

“We have to make sure we are thinking about best-positioning this group to win as many games down the stretch here,” Breslow said.

A second-round pick out of TCU in the 2024 draft, Tolle had a 3-5 record and 3.04 ERA in 91⅔ innings at three levels in the minors, most recently at Triple-A Worcester.

Boston also recalled utility player Nick Sogard from Worcester and optioned outfielder Jhostynxon Garcia to Worcester.

Continue Reading

Trending