Connect with us

Published

on

For the first time in more than 30 years, tanks will roll through the capital of the United States.

The 250th anniversary of the United States Army could see hundreds of thousands descend on Washington DC to watch as 60-ton M1 Abrams battle tanks and Paladin self-propelled howitzers rumble along the streets.

But, like almost everything Donald Trump is involved in, it has not come without controversy or criticism.

It wasn’t originally planned as a birthday celebration – the event had been in the works since before Trump was elected – but earlier this year the President announced his intention to add a massive military parade to the event, which would coincide with his own 79th birthday.

Speaking earlier this week, Trump said it is going to be a “big day”, adding: “We want to show off a little bit.”

Officials have estimated around 200,000 people could turn out, including protesters, plus 6,600 soldiers, 150 vehicles and 50 aircraft.

More than 1,500 ‘No Kings’ demonstrations have also been planned across the US, but the group has said it will not be holding events in Washington DC, in part to avoid a direct confrontation.

More on Donald Trump

It comes as the president warned that any protesters who rain on his military parade “will be met with very big force”.

Does the US typical hold military parades?

Unlike other countries, military parades in the United States are fairly rare, but Trump has made no secret of his desire for one.

The last time such a major display took place in the US it was in 1991, when tanks and thousands of troops paraded through Washington to celebrate the ousting of Iraqi president Saddam Hussein’s army from Kuwait.

Troops march over the Memorial Bridge in Washington, D.C., as they head towards the Pentagon during the National Victory Day Parade on Satur
Image:
Troops march over the Memorial Bridge in Washington DC, as they head towards the Pentagon during the National Victory Day Parade in 1991. Pic: PA

During Trump’s first administration, he ordered the Pentagon to look into holding a display after a visit to France in 2017.

He was seemingly inspired after witnessing the country’s Bastille Day parade, and attempted to plan a Veteran’s Day parade for 2018. However, this was cancelled due to “ridiculously high” cost estimates.

Trump ultimately settled for a display of tanks and other armoured vehicles during a fourth of July celebration, named Salute to America, two years later.

Tanks parade past President Donald Trump, Melania Trump, President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte Macron in 2017. Pic: AP
Image:
Tanks parade past President Donald Trump, Melania Trump, President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte Macron in 2017. Pic: AP

What is happening on the day?

Saturday will start with a wreath-laying ceremony in the morning at Arlington National Cemetery, followed by an army birthday festival on the National Mall in DC. The festival will include equipment displays and military demonstrations.

The day will conclude with a military parade throughout the city, overseen by Trump.

After the parade, the US Army Golden Knights team will parachute in and present the president with a flag.

How much will it cost?

All the celebrations will cost the US Army between $25 million (£18.51m) and $45 million (£33.33m), officials told Reuters.

Preparations are underway in Washington DC for the celebrations. Pic: AP
Image:
Preparations are underway in Washington DC for the celebrations. Pic: AP

These estimates include costs that will be born by the city of Washington, include litter clean up. The event will involve 18 miles of fencing and 175 metal detectors being installed in the capital.

The military has also begun taking steps to protect the streets from damage caused by heavy tanks, including laying down metal plates in some areas.

The Army said it will pay for any unexpected repairs if needed and has set aside several million dollars in case of damage.

Why is it controversial?

President Trump’s critics have called the parade an authoritarian display of power, that is particularly wasteful as his administration seeks to slash federal spending.

Military vehicles are being transported to Washington DC ahead of this weekend's parade. Pic: AP
Image:
Military vehicles are being transported to Washington DC ahead of this weekend’s parade. Pic: AP

The cost of the Army’s celebration is several million dollars more than it would have been without a parade, officials said.

Among the critics is California Governor Gavin Newsom, who has been trading barbs with Trump since the outbreak of riots in LA.

“And we all know, this Saturday, he’s ordering our American heroes – the United States military – forcing them to put on a vulgar display to celebrate his birthday, just as other failed dictators have done in the past,” he said.

Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom presents his revised state budget during a news conference in Sacramento, Calif., Wednesday, May 14, 2025. (Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)
Image:
Among the critics is California Governor Gavin Newsom. Pic: AP

“This is his ego and making everything about ‘him’,” Senator Jack Reed, the top democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, has also said.

But other officials have pointed out plans for the Army’s 250th birthday began before Trump won the presidential election, and it is not officially an event to mark his birthday – the dates just happen to be the same.

How will it compare to military parades around the world?

One of the criticisms of the parade is that it is a show of military might more often seen in authoritarian countries, such as North Korea, Russia, Iran and China.

This is because tanks in the streets are symbolically associated with these regimes, where they are designed to inspire nationalism and fear, whilst also promoting obedience – they often take place under the watchful eye of their country’s leader.

Russia holds its annual Victory Day parade on 9 May to commemorate the country’s Soviet victory over Nazi Germany. In recent years, it has been used to protect military strength during the Ukraine war.

A general view shows Red Square during a military parade on Victory Day, marking the 80th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany in World War Two, in central Moscow, Russia, May 9, 2025. Ivan Sekretarev/Host agency RIA Novosti/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY.
Image:
Red Square during a military parade on Victory Day in 2025. Pic: Reuters

China holds a National Day parade on 1 October every ten years, or on key anniversaries, to celebrate the founding of the People’s Republic in 1949.

Read more:
Why is the president giving babies $1,000?
Elon Musk says he ‘regrets’ Trump posts

Riot police enforce LA curfew

In Iran, an Army Day Parade takes place in April, a month after the country’s Revolution Day celebrations.

North Korea's 2023 military parade. Pic: AP
Image:
North Korea’s 2023 military parade. Pic: AP

North Korea holds parades on key dates like Kim Il-sung’s birthday, or the ruling party’s foundation day. Taking place in the country’s capital of Pyongyang, the display will often feature new weapons, closely watched by leader Kim Jong-un.

But not every country that holds a military parade is necessarily authoritarian.

Pic: MoD
Image:
Pic: MoD

The UK holds its annual Trooping of the Colour every summer to celebrate the birthday of the British Monarch.

Continue Reading

US

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations’ annual meeting in New York

Published

on

By

US blocks Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials from United Nations' annual meeting in New York

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and 80 other officials have been blocked from attending September’s annual meeting of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

US secretary of state Marco Rubio has revoked the US visas of delegates from the Palestinian Authority (PA) and Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO), and denied others from applying for one.

It is the latest step by Donald Trump’s administration to target Palestinians with visa restrictions, and follows the suspension of a programme to allow injured children from Gaza to receive treatment in the US.

Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month's meeting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Mahmoud Abbas addressed the general assembly in 2024, but is barred from next month’s meeting. Pic: Reuters

“It is in our national security interests to hold the PLO and PA accountable for not complying with their commitments, and for undermining the prospects for peace,” a statement from the US State Department said.

It added that, to be considered partners for peace, both groups “must consistently repudiate terrorism, and end incitement to terrorism in education, as required by US law and as promised by the PLO”.

Offensive will cause ‘intolerable deaths’

Several US allies, including France, Malta, and Australia have announced plans to recognise Palestine as a state at September’s United Nations General Assembly. Canada and the UK will too, unless Israel meets certain conditions.

More on Mahmoud Abbas

Israel declared Gaza’s largest city a dangerous combat zone on Friday.

The army launched a planned offensive that has drawn international condemnation.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Thick smoke rises from Gaza City after Israeli strikes

Foreign ministers from Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Norway, Slovenia and Spain released a joint statement saying the military operations in Gaza City will cause “intolerable deaths of innocent Palestinian civilians”.

Gaza latest: Israel’s Gaza City offensive condemned

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are sheltering in Gaza City while enduring famine.

An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP
Image:
An Israeli armoured vehicle in northern Gaza on Friday. Pic: AP

Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP
Image:
Palestinians ride a truck carrying humanitarian aid in Gaza City. Pic: AP

The Palestinian ambassador to the United Nations (UN), Riyad Mansour, said Mr Abbas had planned to lead the delegation to the UN meetings and was expected to address the general assembly at the general debate, which begins on 23 September.

He was also expected to attend a high-level meeting co-chaired by France and Saudi Arabia on 22 September about a two-state solution, a broad idea involving Israel coexisting with an independent Palestinian state.

The State of Palestine is an observer member of the UN, meaning it can speak at meetings but not vote on resolutions.

The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP
Image:
The State of Palestine cannot vote on UN resolutions. Pic: AP

US decision ‘contravenes international law’

The Palestinian Authority “expressed its deep regret and astonishment” at the visa decision, calling it “a violation of US commitments” as the host of the UN, and claiming it “contravenes international law”.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said the world body would be seeking clarification in the “hope that this will be resolved”.

Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Hundreds of diplomats left when Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu began speaking at the general assembly in 2024. Pic: Reuters

The State Department said that the Palestinian Authority’s mission to the UN, comprising officials who are permanently based there, would not be included in the restrictions.

Under a 1947 UN agreement, the US is generally required to allow access for foreign diplomats to the UN in New York.

But Washington has said it can deny visas for security, extremism and foreign policy reasons.

Read more from Sky News:
Analysis: Israel is killing a lot of journalists
Hospitals ‘overwhelmed’ by malnutrition cases
Tony Blair meets Trump over Gaza

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

The death toll in Gaza has now risen to 63,025, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants.

It also reported five more malnutrition-related deaths in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number during the war to 322, with 121 of them children.

Continue Reading

US

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

Published

on

By

Donald Trump revokes Secret Service protection for former vice president Kamala Harris

US President Donald Trump has revoked Secret Service protection for former vice president and 2024 Democratic rival Kamala Harris.

A senior adviser to Harris, Kirsten Allen, confirmed the decision. “The vice president is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said the adviser.

Typically, vice presidents receive a six-month security detail from the Secret Service after they leave office, although it had been extended to 18 months for Harris, according to officials.

Initially, then-president Joe Biden extended her security arrangements to one year, or January 2026, according to reports.

However, a Secret Service official told Sky News’ US partner, NBC, that Biden subsequently signed an executive memorandum in January increasing the then vice-president’s protection period even further, to 18 months.

Former US presidents receive Secret Service protection for life.

Read more from Sky News:
Ed Davey has written to King to explain Trump dinner boycott
Thai prime minister sacked for ethics violation

More from US

Harris, who lost the 2024 presidential election to Mr Trump, is due to start a book tour for her memoir, “107 Days”, shortly.

She was the Democratic nominee for 107 days after Biden exited the race in the weeks following a challenging debate against Trump.

Mr Trump has also ended federal security protection for others, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Last week, FBI agents raided Bolton’s Maryland home.

In March, the president ended protection for Joe Biden’s children – Hunter and Ashley Biden.

Harris has not ruled out a possible presidential run in 2028. She announced in July that she would not run for governor of California in 2026.

Continue Reading

US

Boy, 8, and girl, 10, killed in US Catholic school shooting named – as father brands attacker ‘a coward’

Published

on

By

Boy, 8, and girl, 10, killed in US Catholic school shooting named - as father brands attacker 'a coward'

The families of two children killed in the US Catholic school shooting have said their “hearts are broken” and branded the attacker a “coward”.

Fletcher Merkel who was eight and 10-year-old Harper Moyski were killed during mass at Annunciation Catholic School in Minneapolis on Wednesday.

Eighteen other people were injured, including children aged between six and 15 and three adults in their 80s.

Police said Robin Westman, a male born as Robert Westman, opened fire with a rifle through the windows of the school’s church as children sat in pews.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

New details released of US school shooting

‘Our hearts are broken’

Harper’s parents, Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin, remembered her as “a bright, joyful, and deeply loved 10-year-old whose laughter, kindness, and spirit touched everyone who knew her”.

“Our hearts are broken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot capture the depth of our pain,” their statement said.

They urged leaders and communities to “take meaningful steps to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in this country.”

“Change is possible, and it is necessary – so that Harper’s story does not become yet another in a long line of tragedies,” the statement added.

The family of Fletcher Merkel said there was a 'hole in our hearts'. Pic: Family handout/AP
Image:
The family of Fletcher Merkel said there was a ‘hole in our hearts’. Pic: Family handout/AP

‘Fletcher loved his family’

In a statement reported by Sky’s US partner network NBC News, Fletcher’s father Jesse Merkel blamed the “coward” killer for why the boy’s family can’t “hold him, talk to him, play with him, and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming”.

He said: “Fletcher loved his family, friends, fishing, cooking, and any sports that he was allowed to play.

“While the hole in our hearts and lives will never be filled, I hope that in time, our family can find healing.”

Mr Merkel also praised “the swift and heroic actions of children and adults alike from inside the church”.

“Without these people and their selfless actions, this could have been a tragedy of many magnitudes more. For these people, I am thankful,” he added.

Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Families and loved ones reunite at the scene after the shooting. Pic: Reuters

Mayor calls for assault weapon ban

It comes after Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey called for a statewide and federal ban on assault weapons, a day after the deadly school shooting.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Minneapolis mayor urges assault weapons ban

“Thoughts and prayers are not going to cut it. It’s on all of us to see this through,” the mayor said at a news conference. “We need a statewide and a federal ban on assault weapons.

“We need a statewide and a federal ban on high-capacity magazines. There is no reason that someone should be able to reel off 30 shots before they even have to reload.

“We’re not talking about your father’s hunting rifle gear. We’re talking about guns that are built to pierce armour and kill people.”

Meanwhile, Minneapolis police chief Brian O’Hara gave an update on the investigation, saying the suspect had fired 116 rifle rounds into the church.

“It is very clear that this shooter had the intention to terrorise those innocent children,” he added, before saying the killer “fantasised” about the plans of other mass shooting attackers and wanted to “obtain notoriety”.

Read more from Sky News:
Man ‘who impersonated Michael Jackson’ was ‘unfairly dismissed’
Concern as British couple detained in Iran ‘whisked’ to courtroom

Follow The World
Follow The World

Listen to The World with Richard Engel and Yalda Hakim every Wednesday

Tap to follow

Thomas Klemond, interim CEO of Minneapolis’s main trauma hospital Hennepin Healthcare, said at an earlier news conference that the hospital was treating nine patients injured in the shooting.

One child at the hospital was in a critical condition, he added.

Children’s Minnesota Hospital also said that three children remain in its care as of Thursday morning.

Continue Reading

Trending