Connect with us

Published

on

Sir Keir Starmer and Emmanuel Macron’s migrant deal comes into force today, with detentions set to begin by the end of the week.

The “one in, one out” pilot scheme – which allows the UK to send some people who have crossed the Channel back to France in exchange for asylum seekers with ties to Britain – was signed last week, and has now been approved by the European Commission.

Politics Hub: Follow live updates

It comes as 2025 is on course to be a record year for crossings.

Approximately 25,436 people have already made the journey this year, according to PA news agency analysis of Home Office figures – 49% higher than at the same point in 2024.

The prime minister and the French president hailed the deal as a “good agreement” when it was first announced during the latter’s visit to the UK last month.

The scheme also means that anyone arriving in a small boat can be detained immediately, with space set aside at immigration removal centres in anticipation of their arrival.

Sir Keir said the ratification of the treaty will “send a clear message – if you come here illegally on a small boat you will face being sent back to France”.

Ministers have so far declined to say how many people could be returned under the deal, however, there have been reports that under the scheme only 50 people a week will be returned to France.

Analysis: Deal will need to go much further to work

Sky News political correspondent Rob Powell said while it was a “policy win” for the government, the numbers must eventually “go a lot higher” than 50 per week if it is to work as a deterrent.

“The average crossing rate is about 800 a week, so this will need to go up by a sizeable factor for that message to start seeping through to people trying to make that crossing,” Powell added.

The aim will be to make asylum seekers believe the “risk of going back to France is so big that they shouldn’t bother parting with their cash and paying smugglers” to make the crossing.

Read more:
What is the UK-France migrant returns deal?
Clampdown on social media ads for Channel crossings unveiled

Migrants in Dunkirk, France, preparing to cross the English Channel
Image:
Migrants in Dunkirk, France, preparing to cross the English Channel.

The Conservatives have branded the agreement a “surrender deal” and said it will make “no difference whatsoever”.

Under the terms of the agreement, adults arriving on small boats will face being returned to France if their asylum claim is inadmissible.

In exchange, the same number of people will be able to come to the UK on a new legal route, provided they have not attempted a crossing before and subject to stringent documentation and security checks.

The pilot scheme is set to run until June 2026, pending a longer-term agreement.

Home Secretary Yvette Cooper will face questions on the agreement on Sky News Breakfast this morning.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to explain Trump state dinner boycott

Published

on

By

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to explain Trump state dinner boycott

Sir Ed Davey has written to King Charles to explain why he believes he has to refuse his invite to a state banquet for Donald Trump.

The Lib Dem leader said on Wednesday he will be boycotting the dinner next month during the US president’s second state visit to the UK because of the situation in Gaza.

He told Sky News on Thursday: “I’ve written to him [the King] personally explaining my thinking.

“And it’s with deep regret that I’ve had to take the decision, but I feel with what is going on in Gaza, it’s the best way I can get my voice heard.”

Politics latest: Asylum hotel injunction appeal decision coming soon

Sir Ed said the “sad truth” is Mr Trump is the “one man” who has the power to stop the “horrible famine in Gaza, could get the hostages released, could bring an end to this horrendous humanitarian crisis”.

He said the US president could do that by phoning up Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and telling him to stop.

More on Donald Trump

The Lib Dem leader said Mr Trump could also call up the Qatari government and other Gulf states to get them to put pressure on Hamas to release the remaining 50 Israeli hostages (20 living, 30 dead) they took on 7 October 2023.

The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters

He emphasised that he has “huge respect” for the King and it was a very difficult decision he “really wrestled with” and involved him talking to his wife and praying about it.

Sir Ed denied it was political posturing and instead is one of the only ways he could get Mr Trump to listen.

“I didn’t want him to come to the UK without being reminded, as best I can, that he has that moral responsibility, frankly,” he added.

“And from what I’m picking up from many people, there are people across the political spectrum who agree with me and the Democrats that it is Donald Trump, it is the United States who has this power over Netanyahu, over Hamas, albeit indirectly, to stop this horrendous situation.”

Publicly refusing the King’s invite is “the best way I can get my voice heard,” Sir Ed said.

Read more:
British journalists demand action from PM over war in Gaza
Has Trump ended seven wars as he claims?

King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA
Image:
King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA

Tony Blair at White House Gaza meeting

While Sir Ed is choosing to snub Mr Trump to get his voice heard, former Labour prime minister Sir Tony Blair has been asked by the US president for help on Gaza.

Sir Tony joined a White House meeting on Wednesday, chaired by Mr Trump, to discuss the war in Gaza and post-war plans for the Palestinian territory, a senior White House official confirmed.

They were joined by Mr Trump’s former Middle East envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to also discuss the hostage crisis and plans to escalate food aid deliveries.

The official described it as “simply a policy meeting”.

In July, the Financial Times reported the Tony Blair Institute had participated in a project to develop a post-war Gaza plan, with the think tank having “had many calls with different groups on post-war reconstruction of Gaza but none included the idea of forcible relocation of people from Gaza”.

Sir Ed called on Sir Tony to be quizzed in parliament about his discussions with the Trump administration.

“If he has special insight into Trump’s intentions, it’s only right that parliament and the government are made privy to this,” he said.

“We must leverage all the information and resources at our disposal to make Trump do the right thing.”

Continue Reading

Politics

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

Published

on

By

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

The change is part of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s “crypto sprint,” an initiative to overhaul regulations in response to proposals from the Trump administration.

Continue Reading

Politics

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

Published

on

By

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

The US government announced on Tuesday that it is publishing economic data onchain to boost transparency for government spending.

Continue Reading

Trending