Connect with us

Published

on

Defence Secretary Grant Shapps has accused the Houthis of “thuggery” in the Red Sea, as he suggested the UK was open to carrying out further airstrikes in Yemen.

The British military joined forces with the US on Thursday night as it launched attacks in retaliation for the targeting of international trade in the key shipping lane.

Politics live: Ministers would consider further action against Houthis, says Shapps

Asked by Sky News’ Kay Burley if the government planned an escalation of the action, Mr Shapps said no, but insisted the UK would “monitor the situation very carefully”.

Our intention is not to go into Yemen or anything like that, but simply to send a very clear, unambiguous message to the Iranian-backed Houthis that their behaviour in the Red Sea is completely unacceptable,” he added.

“We cannot have that situation where they are trying to harass [Red Sea vessels] and we’ll keep a very close eye.

“If we have to take further action then that’s something that we would consider.”

More on Grant Shapps

An RAF Typhoon aircraft takes off to join the U.S.-led coalition from RAF Akrotiri to conduct air strikes against military targets in Yemen
Image:
An RAF Typhoon aircraft takes off to join the US-led air strikes in Yemen

The US carried out a further strike in Yemen on Friday, but reports suggest only 25% of the Houthi capability to carry out attacks on cargo ships has been damaged.

“We never thought that this would remove all of their facilities,” said the defence secretary. “That wasn’t the goal. The goal was to send a very clear message.”

Describing the Houthis’ behaviour as “almost like thuggery,” Mr Shapps said: “We are waiting to see now what happens.

“That international waterway in the Red Sea should be open to international shipping. That is the international law.

“We got increasingly concerned that international shipping was having to reroute and adding hugely to the cost of shipping.”

He added: “We took the action that you saw last week and we’ve made it clear that we will wait and see what happens next.

“But we can’t have a situation where freedom of navigation, the ability for ships to move around the world in international waters, effectively impugned by Iranian-backed Houthis harassing that shipping.”

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Sky News Monday to Thursday at 7pm.
Watch live on Sky channel 501, Freeview 233, Virgin 602, the Sky News website and app or YouTube.

Tap here for more

A spokesman for the Yemeni armed forces in the Houthi-controlled north of the country said in a televised statement that the bombardment “will not go unanswered and unpunished”.

And it linked the strikes with the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, saying it would not deter their support for the Palestinians.

On Sunday, Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron denied any link between the Yemen strikes and the war in Gaza, saying the action was “completely separate”.

But experts warned those in Arab nations would be unlikely to see it in the same way.

Read more:
Reaction to Shapps interview – politics live
UK deploying 20,000 troops in NATO drill
How UK’s tactics in Red Sea echo WWII

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is expected to make a statement on the military action in the Commons later on Monday.

He briefed Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer ahead of the strikes on Thursday – who has given the government his support – as well as the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

However, some MPs are angry ministers did not bring the issue to parliament before joining the US-led operation last week, with the Liberal Democrats demanding a retrospective vote on the issue.

Asked by Burley if Labour would support further action without parliamentary approval, shadow minister Sir Chris Bryant said: “Let’s hear what the prime minister has got to say this afternoon.

“Because I think we would – everybody will – want to know what is the limit of this action, what are we trying to achieve by it, have we achieved what we wanted to achieve already, and what happens if there are further incidents in [the Red Sea].

“So I think this is kind of ‘watch this space’. Everybody is very, very careful. I think that nobody wants to escalate the situation to a position where it could get out of control.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Crypto self-custody is a fundamental right, says SEC’s Hester Peirce

Published

on

By

Crypto self-custody is a fundamental right, says SEC's Hester Peirce

Hester Peirce, a commissioner of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and head of the SEC’s Crypto Task Force, reaffirmed the right to crypto self-custody and privacy in financial transactions.

“I’m a freedom maximalist,” Peirce told The Rollup podcast on Friday, while saying that self-custody of assets is a fundamental human right. She added:

“Why should I have to be forced to go through someone else to hold my assets? It baffles me that in this country, which is so premised on freedom, that would even be an issue — of course, people can hold their own assets.”

Privacy, SEC, Freedom, United States, Self Custody, Bitcoin Adoption, ETF
SEC commissioner Hester Peirce discusses the right to self-custody and financial privacy. Source: The Rollup

Peirce added that online financial privacy should be the standard. “It has become the presumption that if you want to keep your transactions private, you’re doing something wrong, but it should be exactly the opposite presumption,” she said.

The comments came as the Digital Asset Market Structure Clarity Act, a crypto market structure bill that includes provisions for self-custody, anti-money laundering(AML) regulations, and asset taxonomy, is delayed until 2026, according to Senator Tim Scott.

Related: SEC to hold privacy and financial surveillance roundtable in December

Exchange-traded funds (ETFs) challenge Bitcoin’s self-custody ethos

Many large Bitcoin (BTC) whales and long-term holders are pivoting from self-custody to ETFs to reap the tax benefits and hassle-free management of owning crypto in an investment vehicle.

“We are witnessing the first decline in self-custodied Bitcoin in 15 years,” Dr. Martin Hiesboeck, the head of research at crypto exchange Uphold, said.