Connect with us

Published

on

The British government would not “hesitate to protect” UK security amid ongoing tensions with Houthi rebels, Rishi Sunak has said.

The British military joined forces with the US on Thursday night as it launched attacks against Houthi bases in Yemen – in retaliation for the targeting of international trade in the Red Sea.

The prime minister said the aim of the action was to “de-escalate tensions in the region and actually restore stability back to the area”.

However, with questions swirling around over whether further action would be taken, he added the UK “will not hesitate to protect our security where required”.

Mr Sunak is due to give a statement in the Commons about the operation at around 3.30pm.

Politics live: Ministers would consider further action against Houthis, says Shapps

The US carried out a further strike in Yemen on Friday, but reports suggest only 25% of the Houthi capability to carry out attacks on cargo ships had been damaged.

More on Grant Shapps

Earlier, Defence Secretary Grant Shapps told Sky News: “We never thought that this would remove all of their facilities. That wasn’t the goal. The goal was to send a very clear message.”

An RAF Typhoon aircraft takes off to join the U.S.-led coalition from RAF Akrotiri to conduct air strikes against military targets in Yemen
Image:
An RAF Typhoon aircraft takes off to join the US-led air strikes in Yemen

Describing Houthi attacks on the key shipping lane as “thuggery”, Mr Shapps also said there was no planned escalation of the action, and the UK’s “intention” was not to go into Yemen.

But he insisted the government would “monitor the situation very carefully”.

A spokesman for the Yemeni armed forces in the Houthi-controlled north of the country said in a televised statement the bombardment would “not go unanswered and unpunished”.

And it linked the strikes with the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas, saying it would not deter their support for the Palestinians.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘UK would consider further action against Houthis if needed.’

On Sunday, Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron denied any link between the Yemen strikes and the war in Gaza to Sky News, saying the action was “completely separate”.

But experts warned those in Arab nations would be unlikely to see it in the same way.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, Mr Sunak said: “We faced an escalating series of attacks from the Houthis on commercial shipping, including an attack on a Royal Navy warship. That’s unacceptable.

“It’s right that we took proportionate, targeted action against military targets to send a strong message that that behaviour is unacceptable.

“It was a last resort, it came after the end of exhaustive diplomatic activity including a UN Security Council.”

The prime minister added: “Now, I think it is incumbent on the Houthis to recognise the international condemnation for what they are doing and desist.

“But we, of course, will not hesitate to protect our security where required.”

Read more:
Reaction to Shapps interview – politics live
UK deploying 20,000 troops in NATO drill
How UK’s tactics in Red Sea echo WWII

Mr Sunak will make a statement on the military action in the Commons later on Monday, four days after the strikes.

He briefed Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer ahead of the strikes on Thursday, as well as the Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, Sir Keir said: “The action that the government took in conjunction with the US is action that we support.

“What we now need to hear from the prime minister is the scope, the basis, the full reasoning behind the decision that he took and of course the question of whether more action may be needed, and what processes will be put in place.”

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Politics Hub with Sophy Ridge

Sky News Monday to Thursday at 7pm.
Watch live on Sky channel 501, Freeview 233, Virgin 602, the Sky News website and app or YouTube.

Tap here for more

However, some MPs are angry ministers did not bring the issue to parliament before joining the US-led operation last week, with the Liberal Democrats demanding a retrospective vote on the issue.

Asked if he would support further strikes in Yemen, Sir Keir said: “If the government is proposing further action, then it should say so and set out the case and we’re going to have to consider that on a case by case basis on the merits.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to explain Trump state dinner boycott

Published

on

By

Ed Davey reveals he has written to King to explain Trump state dinner boycott

Sir Ed Davey has written to King Charles to explain why he believes he has to refuse his invite to a state banquet for Donald Trump.

The Lib Dem leader said on Wednesday he will be boycotting the dinner next month during the US president’s second state visit to the UK because of the situation in Gaza.

He told Sky News on Thursday: “I’ve written to him [the King] personally explaining my thinking.

“And it’s with deep regret that I’ve had to take the decision, but I feel with what is going on in Gaza, it’s the best way I can get my voice heard.”

Politics latest: Asylum hotel injunction appeal decision coming soon

Sir Ed said the “sad truth” is Mr Trump is the “one man” who has the power to stop the “horrible famine in Gaza, could get the hostages released, could bring an end to this horrendous humanitarian crisis”.

He said the US president could do that by phoning up Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and telling him to stop.

More on Donald Trump

The Lib Dem leader said Mr Trump could also call up the Qatari government and other Gulf states to get them to put pressure on Hamas to release the remaining 50 Israeli hostages (20 living, 30 dead) they took on 7 October 2023.

The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The King and Donald Trump during his first state visit in 2019. Pic: Reuters

He emphasised that he has “huge respect” for the King and it was a very difficult decision he “really wrestled with” and involved him talking to his wife and praying about it.

Sir Ed denied it was political posturing and instead is one of the only ways he could get Mr Trump to listen.

“I didn’t want him to come to the UK without being reminded, as best I can, that he has that moral responsibility, frankly,” he added.

“And from what I’m picking up from many people, there are people across the political spectrum who agree with me and the Democrats that it is Donald Trump, it is the United States who has this power over Netanyahu, over Hamas, albeit indirectly, to stop this horrendous situation.”

Publicly refusing the King’s invite is “the best way I can get my voice heard,” Sir Ed said.

Read more:
British journalists demand action from PM over war in Gaza
Has Trump ended seven wars as he claims?

King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA
Image:
King Charles will host a state dinner for Donald Trump. Pic: PA

Tony Blair at White House Gaza meeting

While Sir Ed is choosing to snub Mr Trump to get his voice heard, former Labour prime minister Sir Tony Blair has been asked by the US president for help on Gaza.

Sir Tony joined a White House meeting on Wednesday, chaired by Mr Trump, to discuss the war in Gaza and post-war plans for the Palestinian territory, a senior White House official confirmed.

They were joined by Mr Trump’s former Middle East envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to also discuss the hostage crisis and plans to escalate food aid deliveries.

The official described it as “simply a policy meeting”.

In July, the Financial Times reported the Tony Blair Institute had participated in a project to develop a post-war Gaza plan, with the think tank having “had many calls with different groups on post-war reconstruction of Gaza but none included the idea of forcible relocation of people from Gaza”.

Sir Ed called on Sir Tony to be quizzed in parliament about his discussions with the Trump administration.

“If he has special insight into Trump’s intentions, it’s only right that parliament and the government are made privy to this,” he said.

“We must leverage all the information and resources at our disposal to make Trump do the right thing.”

Continue Reading

Politics

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

Published

on

By

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

US regulator opens pathway for Americans to trade on offshore crypto exchanges

The change is part of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission’s “crypto sprint,” an initiative to overhaul regulations in response to proposals from the Trump administration.

Continue Reading

Politics

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

Published

on

By

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

US Government taps Chainlink, Pyth to publish economic data onchain

The US government announced on Tuesday that it is publishing economic data onchain to boost transparency for government spending.

Continue Reading

Trending