Douglas Ross has announced he is stepping down as leader of the Scottish Conservatives after the 4 July election.
It comes following criticism over the deselection of David Duguid as a general election candidate as well as amid reports Mr Ross used Westminster expenses to travel in his role as a football linesman.
Mr Ross intends to continue his general election campaign as he seeks to win the Aberdeenshire North and Moray East seat as an MP.
In a statement released on Monday, he announced he will also resign as an MSP if re-elected to Westminster.
Mr Ross said: “I have served as MP, MSP and leader for over three years now and believed I could continue to do so if re-elected to Westminster, but on reflection, that is not feasible.
“I am committed to fighting and winning the Aberdeenshire North and Moray East constituency. Should I be given the honour to represent the people and communities of this new seat, they should know being their MP would receive my complete focus and attention.
“I will therefore stand down as leader following the election on July 4, once a successor is elected. Should I win the seat, I will also stand down as an MSP to make way for another Scottish Conservative representative in Holyrood.
More on Conservatives
Related Topics:
“My party has a chance to beat the SNP in key seats up and down Scotland, including in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. We must now come together and fully focus on doing exactly that.”
Former Tory UK government minister Mr Duguid had wanted to contest the seat, but he is currently unwell in hospital which led to the party’s management board deselecting him as a candidate.
Image: Douglas Ross at a Scottish Premiership match in 2020. Pic: PA
Travel expenses row
Mr Ross’ resignation also comes amid reports by the Sunday Mail that concerns had been raised over 28 parliamentary travel claims which may have been combined with his work as a football linesman.
Under UK parliamentary rules, MPs can only claim travel from their home airport – which was either Inverness or Aberdeen when Mr Ross was MP for Moray.
They can also claim for “diverted” journeys but must supply detailed notes on the diversion.
The newspaper reported that Mr Ross’ aides raised the alarm in November 2021 over expense claims which included a £58 parking fee at Inverness Airport in July 2018 while parliament was in recess.
It also stated a £43 rail travel from Heathrow to central London was claimed the day after Mr Ross was a linesman in a match in Iceland.
Claims also include that he expensed a flight from London to Glasgow and £109 parking.
On 1 November 2020 it is alleged he claimed £48.99 for parking the day he refereed a Celtic game.
Mr Ross said it was “not possible” to go from London to a football game as he would not have had his referee kit with him.
Mr Ross stressed he has only ever claimed expenses related to his role as an MP and the costs of getting to and from Westminster.
He said the expenses claims were approved by the independent parliamentary body IPSA and he would have “no issue with them being scrutinised again”.
Mr Ross was extremely critical of Michael Matheson after the former SNP health minister was found to have breached the code of conduct in regards to his £11,000 iPad data roaming bill.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:36
Why people are talking about 1997
‘These dodgy claims need an urgent explanation’
In the wake of concerns raised over Mr Ross’ own expenses, First Minister John Swinney said he did not want to “jump to conclusions” but stated the “story raises very significant and serious issues of the potential misuse of public funds”.
Scottish Labour deputy leader Jackie Baillie has also called for an “urgent explanation”.
She said: “These dodgy claims need an urgent explanation and Douglas Ross’ weak excuses don’t provide much reassurance.
“After his response to Michael Matheson’s iPad scandal, it would be the height of hypocrisy if Douglas Ross has also been attempting to rip off taxpayers.”
Spreaker
This content is provided by Spreaker, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Spreaker cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Spreaker cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Spreaker cookies for this session only.
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he respected Mr Ross’ decision, adding that he had a record to be “proud of” as Scottish Tory leader.
Mr Sunak said: “You can read Douglas’ statement about his reasons, and I respect his decision.
“It’s been a pleasure to work with him over the time that I’ve been prime minister. He has been a steadfast champion of the union.
“He and I have worked together on two freeports for Scotland, attracting jobs and investment, standing up to the SNP’s misguided gender recognition reforms and also being unashamedly champions of Scotland’s North Sea energy industry, the only party to have consistently done that.
“So, I think that’s a track record that Douglas can be proud of, and I’ve enjoyed working with him, but I respect his decision.”
In common with many parents across the country, here’s a conversation that I have with my young daughter on a semi-regular basis (bear with me, this will take on some political relevance eventually).
Me: “So it’s 15 minutes until your bedtime, you can either have a little bit of TV or do a jigsaw, not both.”
Daughter: “Ummmm, I want to watch TV.”
Me: “That’s fine, but it’s bed after that, you can’t do a jigsaw as well.”
Fast-forward 15 minutes.
Me: “Right, TV off now please, bedtime.”
(Pause)
Daughter: “I want to do a jigsaw.”
Now replace me with the government, the TV and jigsaw options with axing welfare cuts and scrapping the two-child cap, and my daughter with rebellious backbenchers.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
6:36
Rachel Reeves’s fiscal dilemma
That is the tension currently present between Downing Street and Labour MPs. And my initial ultimatum is the messaging being pumped out from the government this weekend.
In essence: you’ve had your welfare U-turn, so there’s no money left for the two-child cap to go as well.
As an aside – and before my inbox fills with angry emails lambasting me for using such a crude metaphor for policies that fundamentally alter the lives of some of the most vulnerable in society – yes, I hear you, and that’s part of my point.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
9:11
Welfare U-turn ‘has come at cost’
For many in Labour, this approach feels like the lives of their constituents are being used in a childish game of horse-trading.
So what can be done?
Well, the government could change the rules.
Altering the fiscal rules is – and will likely remain – an extremely unlikely solution. But as it happens, one of Labour’s proverbial grandparents has just popped round with a different suggestion.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:31
Welfare: ‘Didn’t get process right’ – PM
A wealth tax, Lord Neil Kinnock says, is the necessary outcome of the economic restrictions the party has placed on itself.
Ever the Labour storyteller, Lord Kinnock believes this would allow the government to craft a more compelling narrative about whose side this administration is on.
That could be valuable, given one of the big gripes from many backbench critics is that they still don’t really understand what this prime minister stands for – and by extension, what all these “difficult decisions” are in aid of.
The downside is whether it will actually raise much money.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
16:02
Is Corbyn an existential risk to Labour?
The super-rich may have lots of assets to take a slice from, but they also have expensive lawyers ready to find novel ways to keep their client’s cash away from the prying eyes of the state.
Or, of course, they could just leave – as many are doing already.
In the short term, the future is a bit easier to predict.
If Downing Street is indeed now saying there is no money to scrap the two-child cap (after heavy briefing in the opposite direction just weeks ago), an almighty tantrum from the backbenches is inevitable.
And as every parent knows, the more you give in, the harder it becomes to hold the line.
The UK has re-established diplomatic ties with Syria, David Lammy has said, as he made the first visit to the country by a British minister for 14 years.
The foreign secretary visited Damascus and met with interim president Ahmed al Sharaa, also the leader of the rebel group Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), and foreign minister Asaad al Shaibani.
In a statement, Mr Lammy said a “stable Syria is in the UK’s interests” and added: “I’ve seen first-hand the remarkable progress Syrians have made in rebuilding their lives and their country.
“After over a decade of conflict, there is renewed hope for the Syrian people.
“The UK is re-establishing diplomatic relations because it is in our interests to support the new government to deliver their commitment to build a stable, more secure and prosperous future for all Syrians.”
Image: Foreign Secretary David Lammy with Syria’s interim president Ahmed al Sharaa in Damascus. Pic: X / @DavidLammy
The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office has also announced a £94.5m support package for urgent humanitarian aid and to support the country’s long-term recovery, after a number of British sanctions against the country were lifted in April.
While HTS is still classified as a proscribed terror group, Sir Keir Starmer said last year that it could be removed from the list.
The Syrian president’s office also said on Saturday that the president and Mr Lammy discussed co-operation, as well as the latest developments in the Middle East.
Since Assad fled Syria in December, a transitional government headed by Mr al Sharaa was announced in March and a number of western countries have restored ties.
In May, US President Donald Trump said the United States would lift long-standing sanctions on Syria and normalise relations during a speech at the US-Saudi investment conference.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:12
From May: Trump says US will end sanctions for Syria
He said he wanted to give the country “a chance at peace” and added: “There is a new government that will hopefully succeed.
“I say good luck, Syria. Show us something special.”
Secret Service quietly amasses one of the world’s largest crypto cold wallets with $400 million seized, exposing scams through blockchain sleuthing and VPN missteps.