A paramedic found dead along with a woman at a house in Staffordshire had appeared in the Channel 4 show 999: On The Frontline.
Police have opened a murder investigation after the bodies of Daniel Duffield, 24, and Lauren Evans, 22, were discovered in a property in Hednesford, Cannock, at around 12.30pm on Tuesday afternoon.
Mr Duffield worked for West Midlands Ambulance Service and featured in an episode of 999: On The Frontline which was broadcast in March. The documentary series follows ambulance crews as they attend to callouts.
Ellie, his crewmate on the show, has said she spoke to Mr Duffield over the phone around an hour before he was found dead.
She wrote in a tribute on Instagram: “Never in a million years did I think I’d have to sit and write this and yet I’m still trying to come to terms with it, but I just want to express how special you was to me, not only my best friend at work and the best crewmate but one of my best friends who had a massive impact on day to day life.”
Image: Pic: Daniel Duffield/Facebook
Ellie added that Mr Duffield was the “most kind-hearted person who always had time to help others”.
She continued: “Dan I can’t believe your (sic) actually gone and I’ll forever cherish the dinner you made me the other week, (surprised how nice you made fajitas tbh).
“We were meant to go out together this week and I was looking forward to seeing you, even the phone call we had this morning an hour before you was gone I’ll never forget, love you forever Dan.”
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News
Mr Duffield’s sister Chels Louise wrote in a tribute on Facebook: “Never ever thought I’d have to write this post, my beautiful brother has left us today I’m so distraught you’ve gone.
“I will never come to terms with it that your (sic) no longer here. You was such a bright soul always helping other people making them smile, laugh (and) saving lives but unfortunately you couldn’t help yourself.
“I will forever cherish you and us growing up together you will always be in my heart was the best brother I could of ever asked for forever 24 RIP Daniel Duffield I’ll always miss you and love you forever untill (sic) we meet again rip brother.”
Image: Daniel Duffield, 24, was found dead on Tuesday afternoon. Pic: Daniel Duffield/Facebook
Richard Barratt, a senior operations manager at the West Midlands Ambulance Service, said: “Daniel Duffield was a well-known member of staff and always keen to help and support his colleagues. His death, at such a young age, is a great tragedy.
“I hope Daniel’s family can take some comfort from the hundreds of patients he helped through his time as a paramedic. Our thoughts go out to the families of both of those found at the scene.”
Staffordshire Police have named Mr Duffield, from Cannock, and Ms Evans, from Bridgend in South Wales, but said they have not been formally identified.
The officer has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) due to “recent police contact” prior to the deaths.
The force said on Wednesday that officers had been carrying out enquiries in the area to “understand more about what happened”.
Detective Superintendent Nicki Addison said: “My thoughts are very much with the families at this time.
“I know this news has understandably shaken the local community. I’d like to reassure everyone that we’ve got a specialist team of officers working extensive hours to fully investigate what happened and support the families of those affected.
“We completely understand that lots of people want to know more about what happened, but we’d like to reiterate that speculation isn’t helpful to families at this distressing time.
“I would like to thank everyone who has already come forward with information and ask that people continue to get in touch if they’ve got any information that can help us.”
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.