Connect with us

Published

on

Apple released the latest version of its iPhone operating system, iOS 18, on Monday, including several new security and privacy features. The rollout comes a week after Apple unveiled new versions of the iPhone, AirPods and Apple Watch. Preorders for the new iPhones began Friday and will be widely available on Sept. 20.

Some consumer tech experts say the new iPhone hardware is best judged as incremental, and early data suggests demand could be sluggish, so neither the phone nor new artificial intelligence features will necessarily result in an upgrade supercycle. But for iPhone users, it’s worth familiarizing yourself with the new operating system’s Password Manager app and additional choices on how and where your data is accessed. That includes controls related to your personal and business contacts, and new ways to protect sensitive apps and associated information on devices that may be shared.

Privacy professionals say updates for iOS 18, the public beta version of which has been available since July, should make it easier for consumers to understand and use available privacy protections.

“Apple continues to try to build privacy for its users, and it does typically try to make them easy for people to understand,” said Jodi Daniels, chief executive and privacy consultant at Red Clover Advisors. 

Here’s a rundown of some new security and privacy features and how to access them.

A new Passwords app to improve on iCloud keychain

Apple has created a separate app for storing user passwords. Previously, passwords could be stored in iCloud Keychain, the password management system integrated into Apple devices, but a separate app makes access easier, privacy professionals said. 

The new app has other features to promote good privacy practices. For instance, users are alerted if passwords or account credentials may have been part of data breaches, which can be helpful for fraud protection purposes. In addition, users who have a weak password or one that’s been used before will be alerted so they can update that credential. 

“The broader goal is to have more people using unique passwords and having more general online security,” said Thorin Klosowski, security and privacy activist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit that focuses on privacy matters.

As in the past, Apple can’t access these passwords, but users can on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Vision Pro and on Windows with the iCloud for Windows app. Users of the AutoFill function will have their passwords automatically added to the Passwords app.

Users will also have quick access to categories of credentials including verification codes, passkeys and Wi-Fi passwords. Passwords can also be categorized under shared groups such as work or family.

A way to lock and hide apps

With limited exceptions, apps on the phone can be either locked, or, for additional privacy, hidden if the user chooses. Basic functional apps can’t be hidden, but generally speaking, if it’s on the App Store it can be hidden, an Apple spokesperson said.

This is a useful tool because people sometimes hand their phones to friends to show them photos, messages or emails, for example, or parents may offer their phones temporarily to children to play a game. In all these cases, users may not want others to have unfettered access to their phone. 

When an app is in locked or hidden mode, content like messages or emails inside the app aren’t searchable, and notifications don’t pop up. Apps can be locked and unlocked with Face ID, Touch ID, if available, or the device passcode.

Apple has also taken steps to help ensure young children don’t use these features to thwart parental observation. Accountholders under age 13 can’t lock or hide an app, according to the Apple spokesperson. Users between the ages of 13 and 18 can use these functions, but parents can still see what apps were downloaded and how much they are used in Screen Time. Apple warns children in the older age group when they lock or hide an app that parents retain the ability to see that information.

More control over contact-sharing 

In iOS 18, consumers have the option to determine more precisely how they want their contacts shared with apps. They can choose to share all, none or specific contacts. So, if for example, a person uses an app solely for work, he might decide to share only work-related contacts with the app. Access can be updated as desired.

When they update to iOS 18, users can change their settings for apps they already use. “In practice, it will provide a little bit of a speed bump for people to think whether they really need an app to have access to their contacts,” Klosowski said.

A better view of data apps are accessing 

Apple users can now see, at a glance, how many apps have access to data like location services, tracking, calendars, files and folders, contacts and health information. When they tap on a particular category, users see a list of which apps have what level of access, such as limited or full.

AI privacy protections 

Separately, Apple will soon be launching Apple Intelligence, an artificial intelligence platform developed by Apple. Its features include on-device processing so it’s aware of your personal data, but doesn’t require Apple to collect or store it, and a new complex system designed to draw on larger server-based models to handle more complex requests, while still protecting user privacy.

These privacy protections can be important to users who want to have access to AI, but are concerned about privacy ramifications, including having their private data used to train models, which is a concern, even for many AI enthusiasts. 

“Having it local to the device reduces that risk,” Daniels said.

Continue Reading

Technology

Microsoft AI chief Suleyman sees advantage in building models ‘3 or 6 months behind’

Published

on

By

Microsoft AI chief Suleyman sees advantage in building models ‘3 or 6 months behind’

Microsoft owns lots of Nvidia graphics processing units, but it isn’t using them to develop state-of-the-art artificial intelligence models.

There are good reasons for that position, Mustafa Suleyman, the company’s CEO of AI, told CNBC’s Steve Kovach in an interview on Friday. Waiting to build models that are “three or six months behind” offers several advantages, including lower costs and the ability to concentrate on specific use cases, Suleyman said.

It’s “cheaper to give a specific answer once you’ve waited for the first three or six months for the frontier to go first. We call that off-frontier,” he said. “That’s actually our strategy, is to really play a very tight second, given the capital-intensiveness of these models.”

Suleyman made a name for himself as a co-founder of DeepMind, the AI lab that Google bought in 2014, reportedly for $400 million to $650 million. Suleyman arrived at Microsoft last year alongside other employees of the startup Inflection, where he had been CEO.

More than ever, Microsoft counts on relationships with other companies to grow.

It gets AI models from San Francisco startup OpenAI and supplemental computing power from newly public CoreWeave in New Jersey. Microsoft has repeatedly enriched Bing, Windows and other products with OpenAI’s latest systems for writing human-like language and generating images.

Microsoft’s Copilot will gain “memory” to retain key facts about people who repeatedly use the assistant, Suleyman said Friday at an event in Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, headquarters to commemorate the company’s 50th birthday. That feature came first to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, which has 500 million weekly users.

Through ChatGPT, people can access top-flight large language models such as the o1 reasoning model that takes time before spitting out an answer. OpenAI introduced that capability in September — only weeks later did Microsoft bring a similar capability called Think Deeper to Copilot.

Microsoft occasionally releases open-source small-language models that can run on PCs. They don’t require powerful server GPUs, making them different from OpenAI’s o1.

OpenAI and Microsoft have held a tight relationship shortly after the startup launched its ChatGPT chatbot in late 2022, effectively kicking off the generative AI race. In total, Microsoft has invested $13.75 billion in the startup, but more recently, fissures in the relationship between the two companies have begun to show.

Microsoft added OpenAI to its list of competitors in July 2024, and OpenAI in January announced that it was working with rival cloud provider Oracle on the $500 billion Stargate project. That came after years of OpenAI exclusively relying on Microsoft’s Azure cloud. Despite OpenAI partnering with Oracle, Microsoft in a blog post announced that the startup had “recently made a new, large Azure commitment.”

“Look, it’s absolutely mission-critical that long-term, we are able to do AI self-sufficiently at Microsoft,” Suleyman said. “At the same time, I think about these things over five and 10 year periods. You know, until 2030 at least, we are deeply partnered with OpenAI, who have [had an] enormously successful relationship for us.

Microsoft is focused on building its own AI internally, but the company is not pushing itself to build the most cutting-edge models, Suleyman said.

“We have an incredibly strong AI team, huge amounts of compute, and it’s very important to us that, you know, maybe we don’t develop the absolute frontier, the best model in the world first,” he said. “That’s very, very expensive to do and unnecessary to cause that duplication.”

WATCH: Microsoft Copilot beginning of a seismic shift in AI integration, says Microsoft AI CEO Suleyman

Continue Reading

Technology

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, as shareholder, tariffs are ‘not good’

Published

on

By

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer says, as shareholder, tariffs are 'not good'

President Trump’s new tariffs on goods that the U.S. imports from over 100 countries will have an effect on consumers, former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer told CNBC on Friday. Investors will feel the pain, too.

Microsoft’s stock dropped almost 6% in the past two days, as the Nasdaq wrapped up its worst week in five years.

“As a Microsoft shareholder, this kind of thing is not good,” Ballmer said, in an interview with Andrew Ross Sorkin that was tied to Microsoft’s 50th anniversary celebration. “It creates opportunity to be a serious, long-term player.”

Ballmer was sandwiched in between Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates and current CEO Satya Nadella for the interview.

“I took just enough economics in college — that tariffs are actually going to bring some turmoil,” said Ballmer, who was succeeded by Nadella in 2014. Gates, Microsoft’s first CEO, convinced Ballmer to join the company in 1980.

Gates, Ballmer and Nadella attended proceedings at Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, campus on Friday to celebrate its first half-century.

Between the tariffs and weak quarterly revenue guidance announced in January, Microsoft’s stock is on track for its fifth straight month of declines, which would be the worst stretch since 2009. But the company remains a leader in the PC operating system and productivity software markets, and its partnership with startup OpenAI has led to gains in cloud computing.

“I think that disruption is very hard on people, and so the decision to do something for which disruption was inevitable, that needs a lot of popular support, and nobody could game theorize exactly who is going to do what in response,” Ballmer said, regarding the tariffs. “So, I think citizens really like stability a lot. And I hope people — individuals who will feel this, because people are feeling it, not just the stock market, people are going to feel it.”

Ballmer, who owns the Los Angeles Clippers, is among Microsoft’s biggest fans. He said he’s the company’s largest investor. In 2014, shortly after he bought the basketball team for $2 billion, he held over 333 million shares of the stock, according to a regulatory filing.

“I’m not going to probably have 50 more years on the planet,” he said. “But whatever minutes I have, I’m gonna be a large Microsoft shareholder.” He said there’s a bright future for computing, storage and intelligence. Microsoft launched the first Azure services while Ballmer was CEO.

Earlier this week Bloomberg reported that Microsoft, which pledged to spend $80 billion on AI-enabled data center infrastructure in the current fiscal year, has stopped discussions or pushed back the opening of facilities in the U.S. and abroad.

JPMorgan Chase’s chief economist, Bruce Kasman, said in a Thursday note that the chance of a global recession will be 60% if Trump’s tariffs kick in as described. His previous estimate was 40%.

“Fifty years from now, or 25 years from now, what is the one thing you can be guaranteed of, is the world needs more compute,” Nadella said. “So I want to keep those two thoughts and then take one step at a time, and then whatever are the geopolitical or economic shifts, we’ll adjust to it.”

Gates, who along with co-founder Paul Allen, sought to build a software company rather than sell both software and hardware, said he wasn’t sure what the economic effects of the tariffs will be. Today, most of Microsoft’s revenue comes from software. It also sells Surface PCs and Xbox consoles.

“So far, it’s just on goods, but you know, will it eventually be on services? Who knows?” said Gates, who reportedly donated around $50 million to a nonprofit that supported Democratic nominee Kamala Harris’ losing campaign.

— CNBC’s Alex Harring contributed to this report.

WATCH: There will be many LLM winners, says infrastructure investor Morrison

Continue Reading

Technology

AppLovin can offer TikTok ‘much stronger bid than others,’ CEO says

Published

on

By

AppLovin can offer TikTok 'much stronger bid than others,' CEO says

Piotr Swat | Lightrocket | Getty Images

AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi provided more clarity on the ad-tech company’s late-stage effort to acquire TikTok, calling his offer a “much stronger bid than others” on CNBC’s The Exchange Friday afternoon.

Foroughi said the company is proposing a merger between AppLovin and the entire global business of TikTok, characterizing the deal as a “partnership” where the Chinese could participate in the upside while AppLovin would run the app.

“If you pair our algorithm with the TikTok audience, the expansion on that platform for dollars spent will be through the roof,” Foroughi said.

The news comes as President Trump announced he would extend the deadline a second time for TikTok’s Chinese-owned parent company ByteDance to sell the U.S. subsidiary of TikTok to an American buyer or face an effective ban on U.S. app stores. The new deadline is now in June, which, as Foroughi described, “buys more time to put the pieces together” on AppLovin’s bid. 

“The president’s a great dealmaker — we’re proposing, essentially an enhancement to the deal that they’ve been working on, but a bigger version of all the deals contemplated,” he added.

AppLovin faces a crowded field of other interested U.S. backers, including Amazon, Oracle, billionaire Frank McCourt and his Project Liberty consortium, and numerous private equity firms. Some proposals reportedly structure the deal to give a U.S. buyer 50% ownership of the company, rather than a complete acquisition. The Chinese government will still need to approve the deal, and AppLovin’s interest in purchasing TikTok in “all markets outside of China” is “preliminary,” according to an April 3 SEC filing.

Correction: A prior version of this story incorrectly characterized China’s ongoing role in TikTok should AppLovin acquire the app.

WATCH: AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi on its bid to buy TikTok

AppLovin CEO Adam Foroughi on its bid to buy TikTok

Continue Reading

Trending