British model Bianca Gascoigne has said she was groomed and sexually assaulted by Mohamed al Fayed when she worked at Harrods as a teenager.
Warning: This article contains details readers may find distressing
The 37-year-old, who is the daughter of England football legend Paul Gascoigne, had visited the luxury department store in Knightsbridge with her parents when she was growing up and said Al Fayed would be “charming” and bring them gifts.
Speaking publicly about it for the first time on The UK Tonight with Sarah-Jane Mee, she said this meant by the time she joined Harrods aged 16 she felt “safe” in his presence.
However, when she started working for the Egyptian businessman she claimed he would grope her and force her to kiss him during their weekly meetings.
She said she felt trapped and frightened and one night he offered her the Harrods Park Lane apartment to stay in before a flight.
Image: Mohamed al Fayed. Pic: AP
In an emotional interview, Gascoigne said: “[Al Fayed] turned up at the apartment to my shock, I was just gobsmacked, I was kind of very shell-shocked.
“I just didn’t really know what to do, he came in and then he sat me down on the sofa… he got his privates out and got my hands and was trying to manoeuvre them on his parts.
“When that didn’t work he was trying to force my head on to his lap.
Advertisement
“And I don’t know how but I managed to wiggle away.
“And I think possibly you know, that him knowing my parents… I don’t know, that might have saved me at that moment. But it was horrific.”
A string of allegations against Al Fayed have emerged since the release of an investigation by the BBC. He died last year aged 94.
The Metropolitan Police said it had recorded 60 allegations against Al Fayed since the BBC documentary, including claims of rape and sexual assault. Those are in addition to the 21 women who went to the police between 2005 and 2023 with sex crime allegations against the businessman.
On Monday Harrods said more than 250 people are part of its process to settle compensation claims over Al Fayed’s alleged sexual misconduct.
Gascoigne had joined Harrods as a shop floor worker but was later promoted to her “dream” job of becoming a fashion buyer.
But she said no one in her life knew what was going on – not even her mum and dad. She said the shame stopped her from telling anyone.
“Obviously, I loved my job because it’s exactly what I wanted to do – that was my dream,” she said.
“And, you know, he’s doing all these things to me. And I was close to people that he knew, and I felt like I couldn’t even tell them either, because I didn’t want to bring embarrassment and shame.”
Gascoigne worried about losing her job if she spoke out
She said while the alleged abuse was being carried out she was “trying to work out what was going on” and was worried about losing her job.
“[Al Fayed] told me that if I would say anything that I would lose my job,” she said. “So I just got really scared, at 16 turning 17, you think you know what’s going on at the time but you really don’t.
“I look back now and just feel very sorry for my 16-year-old self and wish I could protect her.”
Image: Paul Gascoigne in June 2023. Pic: PA
‘He used to tell me [my father] was an embarrassment
Gascoigne also said Al Fayed would make derogatory comments about her father, whose mental health and addiction problems are well documented, when he allegedly started grooming her shortly before she joined Harrods.
She continued: “[Al Fayed] used to tell me how much of a bad father my dad was because he used to come into the store drunk, and he used to tell me [my father] was an embarrassment.”
She said Al Fayed told her she should see himself as a “father figure” instead and she felt a “false sense of security with him early doors”.
‘I feel like I have to do this’
Gascoigne recently had a daughter and decided she wanted to speak out after seeing other alleged victims of Al Fayed come forward.
She said: “I feel like I have to do this, like I want to do this.
“I want to stand for the women and, you know, hopefully make any kind of change so that in the future my daughter won’t have to go through something like this… and these predators won’t be able to get away with what they are getting away with.”
Sky News has contacted Harrods for comment.
The department store has previously said it is “utterly appalled” by similar allegations and said it is a “very different organisation to the one owned and controlled by al Fayed between 1985 and 2010”.
Watch Bianca Gascoigne’s full interview on The UK Tonight With Sarah-Jane Mee from 8pm on Sky News
The Appeal Court judge who ruled in favour of Home Secretary Yvette Cooper in the Epping migrant hotel case is a long-standing Labour supporter.
Lord Justice David Bean, 71, is a former treasurer of the Society of Labour Lawyers and chaired the left-leaning Fabian Society, which is affiliated to the Labour Party, in 1989 and 1990.
He was also – with Sir Tony Blair’s barrister wife Cherie – a founder member in 2000 of the left-wing Matrix Chambers, whose members include the current attorney general, Lord Hermer.
Image: The Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, is at the centre of a legal battle. Pic: PA
On its website, the Society of Labour Lawyers describes itself as “a thinktank and affiliated socialist society which provides legal and policy advice to the Labour Party”.
Founded in 1948 by a future Labour lord chancellor Gerald Gardiner, it declares: “Our objectives are to contribute legal expertise to the Labour Party and uphold the principles of justice, liberty, equality, and the rule of law in the UK and around the world.
“We advise Labour MPs and the House of Lords; develop and scrutinise policy and legislation; contribute to debate within the Labour movement by hosting events and discussions; and mentor future members of the legal profession.
More from Politics
“We are open to Labour Party members who are also practising or retired lawyers, law students or graduates, academics, and members of the judiciary.”
The Fabian Society describes itself as “a democratically governed socialist society, a Labour affiliate and one of the party’s original founders”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:00
Inside the asylum hotel protests
Sir Stephen Eyre, the High Court judge who ruled in favour of Epping Forest Council earlier this month, was a Conservative parliamentary candidate four times.
His most high-profile bid to become an MP came in the 2004 Birmingham Hodge Hill by-election, won by current Labour MP and former minister Liam Byrne.
Image: Sir Stephen Eyre. Pic: Judicial Appointments Commission/Ministry of Justice
Appointed a High Court judge by then Lord Chancellor Dominic Raab in 2021, Sir Stephen was a Tory candidate while working as a barrister.
His first attempt came in 1987, when he stood in Hodge Hill in that year’s general election, coming second behind Labour’s Terry Davis.
Then in 1992, the year of Sir John Major’s 21-seat election victory, he stood for the Northern Ireland Conservatives in the unionist stronghold of Strangford.
Mr Eyre, as he then was, came fourth behind the official Unionists’ John Taylor, with current Democratic Unionist MP for Antrim East Sammy Wilson in second place.
In 2001, he stood in Stourbridge, where he again came second, this time to Labour’s Debra Shipley, when he cut her majority from nearly 6,000 to under 4,000.
And in the 2004 by-election, he came a distant third as Mr Byrne scraped in by just 460 votes ahead of the Liberal Democrats, who benefited from an Iraq war backlash.
“It’s an invasion,” Dinah Bentley tells me, standing next to a cardboard cut-out of Nigel Farage.
The 78-year-old retired teacher says she “doesn’t laud” the Reform MP, whose grinning likeness is a permanent fixture in her West Yorkshire conservatory, but he “says what I believe”.
“Everybody talks about migration, but our country’s ruined,” Dinah adds. “They’ve ruined it.”
The “they” in her mind? People who have crossed into the UK on small boats.
We have seen asylum hotel protests intensify over the summer and wanted to speak to the people who’ve joined them.
Over the coming weeks, we’ll speak with counter-protesters too, but today, we meet Dinah, a grandmother of two who has joined those calling on asylum hotels to close.
Image: Dinah says she fears for her granddaughters’ safety
She was, like many of the protesters we met, initially sceptical to speak to a journalist.
More on Asylum
Related Topics:
Dinah says she “doesn’t watch mainstream news” because of “media lies” over Brexit.
Instead, she says she gets her news from social media.
It was on social media that Dinah learnt about a protest being organised outside a hotel in Wakefield, which has housed asylum seekers for several years.
It was the first migration-related protest she had ever attended.
“We’ve put up with so much for so long and I think ordinary people now, they’ve decided it’s no good sitting, doing nothing,” Dinah says.
After reading about a male asylum seeker being charged with a sexual assault in Epping, she says she is “fearful” for her granddaughters’ safety.
“They’re undocumented,” she says, referring to those who have arrived in the UK on small boats.
“We know nothing about them. We don’t know where they are wandering the streets. It’s not right, is it?”
She’s also angry about the cost of housing asylum seekers in hotels.
Image: Dinah says Nigel Farage ‘says what I believe’
I ask Dinah what she thinks about the government plan to close asylum hotels, stop illegal crossings and deport people who do not have a legal right to remain.
“It’s all talk, all talk”, she says. “I don’t believe them.”
“I would be happy if the Navy went into the Channel, we’re an island for God’s sake, and stopped the boats.
“That would make me over the moon.”
Dinah tells us people used to be “afraid” of saying what they really thought about migration.
No more, she says.
The ‘migrant watch’ group
On the other side of Wakefield, we meet 47-year-old James Crashley.
He’s also been to the local asylum hotel protests.
An army veteran and former policeman, James says he does not think asylum seekers should be housed in hotels or houses of multiple occupancy.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:48
Where are UK’s asylum seekers from?
Image: James has been trying to set up a ‘community watch’
“I’ve served in Kosovo and in Iraq, within the British Army,” he says. “And if I can be housed in a tent for six months, then they can too.”
The prime minister has pledged to end the “costly use of hotels to house asylum seekers in this parliament” – which would be 2029, if not earlier.
James has, by his own admission, become somewhat notorious in his local area for trying to set up what he’s called a “community watch”.
He says the police are “very good at dealing with serious crime” but believes “they seem to forget that day-to-day crime exists”.
Image: James stresses the group ‘isn’t vigilantism’
Called “5 Town Migrant Watch” and advertised by him on social media, James says the volunteer group will support the Wakefield hotel protests and act as a “gentle presence” in public areas to tackle “all anti-social behaviour”.
But it will focus on “illegal migrant men” who James describes as having “conflicting traditions and cultures”.
“They come from cultures that aren’t as civilised as ours,” he says. “They don’t seem to adhere to our laws.
“And because of the cultural differences, as in the sexual assaults on children and women, they believe that’s fine in their cultures. Well, it’s not here.”
I say to James that no culture accepts sexual assaults on women and children are “fine”, a point he says he “accepts”.
But he claims that, by definition, people have already “broken the law” when they arrive on small boats in the first place.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
James’ group has attracted hundreds of supporters online, but also criticism from people who believe the group – and James himself – is not only divisive but dangerous.
James admits he has previously had a police caution for a public order offence, not related to the community watch, but stresses this group “isn’t vigilantism”.
“It’s a peaceful movement,” he says. “But if needs be, we’ll stand our ground and will prevent crime. We’re not allowed to commit crime.”
‘People are angry’
A few days later, we meet Dinah again outside the Cedar Court Hotel in Wakefield.
Protesters line the road, waving Union and St George’s flags. Some are shouting “send them back” and “stop the boats”.
Image: The protesters and counter-protesters
Groups of counter-protesters are there too, chanting “Nazi scum” over the police barricade.
I ask Dinah how that feels.
“I think it’s hilarious,” she says. “I know what I am, I don’t value their opinion, so I couldn’t care less what they call me.”
But standing next to Dinah, also waving a Union flag, is Sharon.
She says she’s “a little bit frightened being here” and feels it’s unfair to be put in that position just “to try and get the government to listen to you”.
She added: “I’m a 60-year-old mum. I work 40 hours a week. And nobody gives me anything free. You just want fairness.”
Image: Sharon says she wants ‘fairness’
In the crowd, we find James.
I ask him what he thinks about the government plan to appeal a court ruling to shut the asylum hotel in Epping.
“Of course they were going to try and block it,” he tells me.
Image: Dinah says she ‘doesn’t value’ the opinion of counter-protesters
“The smiles here and the good attitude and the positivity is masking the anger of what’s happened to the English.
“People are angry. People know that once they’re out of here,” he says, gesturing at the hotel behind us, “they’re going to be put in the community”.
“What happens then, who knows?”
Dinah and James are among thousands of protesters who share a sense of being ignored by the government – leaving an overwhelming sense of pressure and uncertainty about what will happen next.
Foreign Secretary David Lammy confirmed the government had summoned Andrey Kelin in response.
Mr Kelin was seen arriving at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall today.
Image: Russian ambassador to the UK Andrey Kelin arrives at the Foreign Office building in Whitehall
Mr Lammy posted on X: “Putin’s strikes last night killed civilians, destroyed homes and damaged buildings, including the British Council and EU Delegation in Kyiv.
“We have summoned the Russian Ambassador. The killing and destruction must stop.”
X
This content is provided by X, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable X cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to X cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow X cookies for this session only.
The British Council’s chief executive, Scott McDonald, said their guard for the building was injured but “stable”.
“At the insistence of my amazing colleagues, we will continue operations in Ukraine today wherever possible,” he said.
“Their resilience is awe-inspiring, and I am deeply thankful they are all safe.”
Earlier, Sir Keir Starmer said: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv, which have damaged the British Council building.
“Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace. This bloodshed must end.”
The British Council is an arms-length body from the government, and says its mission is to “support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide”.
It facilitates schemes like working, living and learning abroad for British people.
Most of its funding comes from the fees it charges people for its services, but it does also get funding from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).
As well as the attack on the British Council building, Russia also targeted the EU delegation building in the Ukrainian capital overnight.
Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, told reporters two missiles hit within 50 metres of the site in 20 seconds.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:17
Devastation in Kyiv after deadly Russian attack
And Kaja Kallas, the EU’s foreign policy chief, said the bloc was also summoning Russia’s ambassador following the strike.
“No diplomatic mission should ever be a target,” she said.
The attacks came as part of wider strikes on Kyiv, which destroyed homes and buildings and killed at least 15 people and injured 38, according to Ukrainian officials.
Russia has said it targeted military sites and air bases in its large overnight strike on Ukraine – and that it is still interested in negotiations to meet its aims.
“The special military operation continues,” he said, referring to Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which it launched in February 2022.
“You see that strikes on Russian infrastructure facilities are also continuing, and often Russian civilian infrastructure is targeted by the Kyiv regime.”
He added: “At the same time, Russia will maintain its interest in continuing the negotiation process in order to achieve the goals we face through political and diplomatic means.”
Russia’s latest attack on Ukraine has been widely condemned, with Germany’s foreign minister Johann Wadephul saying there must be “consequences”.
“Last night we once again experienced in a terrible way how Russia attacked and bombed Kyiv, civilians died, children died, and the European Union delegation was also attacked,” he told reporters.
Mr Wadephul added that Germany wanted to show it was considering a further response and that any action would be taken jointly by the EU.
A Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office Spokesperson said: “The UK condemns in the strongest terms these outrageous attacks on Ukrainians and the damage done to the British Council and EU Delegation.
“Russia’s increasing attacks on Ukrainian civilians and cities, including Kyiv, are an escalation of the war and deeply irresponsible and are further sabotaging international peace efforts.
“We have made clear to the Russians that such actions will only harden UK and Western resolve to support Ukraine and bring an end to this unjustified war.
“Russia must stop this senseless killing and destruction immediately.”