Connect with us

Published

on

Thousands of prison cells could be left empty because they are not fit for inmates to stay in.

It comes at a time when the prison estate is under extreme pressure, with the government already having to extend the prisoner early release scheme to try to free up space – with certain offenders allowed out after having served 40% of their sentence, rather than previous 50%..

Dozens of prisons across England and Wales are set to lose the use of cells while safety issues are fixed, and remedial works take place.

Capacity for thousands of prisoners in 28 different facilities could be taken out of circulation due to issues ranging from fire safety at jails like HMP Durham, Risley, and Swaleside, to broken windows threatening security at HMP Manchester.

In some prisons, Sky News understands makeshift fire standard practices are temporarily in place – including the use of domestic smoke detectors and additional staff on fire safety watch.

HMP Dartmoor, which housed around 650 inmates, remains closed after being mothballed in the summer as high levels of radon gas were detected.

A Prison service spokesperson told Sky News: “We have a rolling programme of maintenance works across the prison estate, to ensure cells are safe and secure.

More on Prisons

Read more from Sky News:
Prisoners ‘harmed’ as food prices outstrip stagnant inmate wages

Fathers in jail allowed to play with their children as part of new scheme

“The safety of staff and prisoners is our top priority and we will always take steps to ensure the risk of fire is managed appropriately.”

It comes as the government is pledging £2.3bn to create 14,000 new prison places by 2031 as part of their 10-year Prison Capacity Strategy.

Around 6,400 of the new prison spaces will be at new sites in Lancashire, Yorkshire, Buckinghamshire and Leicestershire.

A further 6,400 spaces will be part of new wings added to existing prison sites, plus 1,000 temporary accommodation “rapid deployment” cells and the refurbishment of a further 1,000.

The government says it is adjusting planning rules to prevent building delays by making prisons infrastructure sites of national importance to reflect their significance for public protection.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Why have governments struggled with prisons crisis?

Andrea Coomber, from the Howard League for Penal Reform, said: “We cannot build our way out of this crisis.

“The billions of pounds earmarked for opening new jails would be better invested in securing an effective and responsive probation service, working to cut crime in the community.”

The Conservatives promised 20,000 new spaces by the mid-2020s.

By the time they left office, around 6,000 had been built.

Last week the National Audit Office, Whitehall’s spending watchdog, said the promised spaces would not be ready until 2031.

It warned expansion plans were “insufficient to meet projected future demand” and would leave an estimated shortage of more than 12,000 spaces by 2027, despite being billions of pounds over budget.

The Ministry of Justice’s own projections forecast the prison population could rise as high as 105,000 by March 2029.

There are currently just over 86,000 in jail in England and Wales.

Officials are relying on the upcoming sentencing review aimed at exploring the use of non-custodial sentences and alternatives to prison, in the hope of reducing demand on prison capacity.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending