The bomb was inside an electric scooter and was triggered remotely. It had the power equivalent to roughly 300g of TNT, Russian state news agency Tass reported, citing unnamed sources in the emergency services.
Lt Gen Kirillov’s assistant was also killed in the blast.
A source from Ukraine’s security services (SBU) told the Reuters news agency it was responsible for the killing. The source said Kyiv regarded the high-ranking official as a war criminal and an “absolutely legitimate target”.
Sky News has not independently verified these claims.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
4:59
Russian general killed in Moscow
Who was Igor Kirillov?
Lt Gen Kirillov had been the head of Russia’s nuclear protection forces since 2017 – a branch of the Russian army that included radiological, chemical and biological weapons.
The 54-year-old was born on 13 July 1970 in Kostroma.
He went on to attend Kostroma Higher Military Command School of Chemical Defence, graduating in 2007.
During his time there, between 1991 and 1995, he served as a platoon commander in the Western Group of Forces in Germany and the Moscow Military District.
After graduating, he occupied various posts in Russia’s nuclear, biological and chemical defence forces, eventually becoming chief in 2017.
He was married and had two sons.
Link to nuclear weapons
The high-ranking Russian general led Russia’s Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Protection Troops.
According to the Russian defence ministry website, the force’s main tasks involve identifying hazards and protecting units from contamination.
Another listed task of the group is “causing loss to the enemy by using flame-incendiary means”.
Image: The scene of the explosion in Moscow.
Pic: Reuters/Maxim Shemetov
Throughout his military career, Lt Gen Kirillov was known for helping to develop the TOS-2 Tosochka heavy flamethrower system.
Although not a nuclear weapon, the TOS-2 is designed to destroy buildings, bunkers, and field fortifications as well as light-armoured vehicles and motor vehicles of the enemy, according to the Russian defence ministry.
Why was he a target?
Ukraine’s intelligence service said Lt Gen Kirillov was responsible for “the massive use of banned chemical weapons” against the Ukrainian military.
According to the SBU there have been more than 4,800 uses of chemical weapons on the battlefield since February 2022, particularly K-1 combat grenades, “by order of Kirillov”.
Image: The scooter that exploded, killing the Russian general
In May, the US State Department said it had recorded the use of chloropicrin – a chemical weapon first used in the First World War – against Ukrainian troops.
On Monday, Lt Gen Kirillov was sentenced in absentia by the SBU for the use of banned chemical weapons.
The service said more than 2,000 Ukrainian troops had suffered varying degrees of chemical poisoning since the start of the full-scale invasion.
“According to the investigation, the occupiers use dangerous chemicals mainly in the hottest areas of combat, where they try to hide the use of chemical agents under dense artillery fire,” the SBU said.
Russia has always denied using any chemical weapons in Ukraine and, in turn, has accused Kyiv of using toxic agents in combat.
Why was he sanctioned in the UK?
Lt Gen Kirillov was sanctioned by the UK government back in October for using “hazardous chemical weapons on the battlefield”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:28
Are Russian sanctions working?
In a statement at the time, the UK government said Russian forces had openly admitted to the “widespread use of riot control agents and multiple reports of the use of the toxic choking agent chloropicrin”.
It said Kirillov was “responsible for helping deploy these barbaric weapons” and had also been “a significant mouthpiece for Kremlin disinformation, spreading lies to mask Russia’s shameful and dangerous behaviour”.
Moscow has accused Ukraine of a string of high-profile assassinations on its soil, designed to weaken morale and punish those Kyiv says are guilty of war crimes.
Ukraine, which says Russia’s war against it poses an existential threat to the Ukrainian state, has made clear that it regards such targeted killings as a legitimate tool.
On 9 December – just over a week before Lt Gen Kirillov was killed – an explosive device was placed under a car in the Russian-occupied Ukrainian city of Donetsk.
The device killed and was reportedly targeting Sergei Yevsyukov, the head of the Olenivka Prison, where dozens of Ukrainian prisoners of war died in a missile strike in July 2022.
One other person was injured in the blast.
Russia’s Federal Security Service said at the end of last week that a suspect had been arrested and charged with detonating the device.
Other suspected targets include:
Darya Dugina, a Russian TV commentator and the daughter of Kremlin-linked nationalist ideologue Alexander Dugin, died in a 2022 car bombing that investigators suspected was aimed at her father.
Vladlen Tatarsky, a popular military blogger, died in April 2023, when a statuette given to him at a party in St Petersburg exploded.
A Russian woman, who claimed that she presented the figurine on orders of a contact in Ukraine, was convicted in the case and jailed for 27 years.
Illia Kiva, a former pro-Moscow Ukrainian lawmaker who fled to Russia, was shot and killed near Moscow in December 2023.
The Ukrainian military intelligence at the time lauded the killing, warning that other “traitors of Ukraine” would share the same fate.
The IDF has admitted to mistakenly identifying a convoy of aid workers as a threat – following the emergence of a video which proved their ambulances were clearly marked when Israeli troops opened fire on them.
The bodies of 15 aid workers – including eight medics working for the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) – were found in a “mass grave” after the incident, according to the head of the UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Jonathan Whittall.
The Israeli military originally claimed an investigation found the vehicles did not have any headlights or emergency signals and were therefore targeted as they looked “suspicious”.
But video footage obtained by the PRCS, and verified by Sky News, showed the ambulances and a fire vehicle clearly marked with flashing red lights.
In a briefing from the IDF, they said the ambulances arrived in the Tel Sultan neighbourhood in Rafah shortly after a Hamas police vehicle drove through.
Image: Palestinians mourning the medics after their bodies were recovered. Pic: Reuters
An IDF surveillance aircraft was watching the movement of the ambulances and notified troops on the ground. The IDF said it will not be releasing that footage.
When the ambulances arrived, the soldiers opened fire, thinking the medics were a threat, according to the IDF.
The soldiers were surprised by the convoy stopping on the road and several people getting out quickly and running, the IDF claimed, adding the soldiers were unaware the suspects were in fact unarmed medics.
An Israeli military official would not say how far away troops were when they fired on the vehicles.
The IDF acknowledged that its statement claiming that the ambulances had their lights off was incorrect, and was based on the testimony from the soldiers in the incident.
The newly emerged video footage showed that the ambulances were clearly identifiable and had their lights on, the IDF said.
The IDF added that there will be a re-investigation to look into this discrepancy.
Image: The clip is filmed through a vehicle windscreen – with three red light vehicles visible in front
Addressing the fact the aid workers’ bodies were buried in a mass grave, the IDF said in its briefing this is an approved and regular practice to prevent wild dogs and other animals from eating the corpses.
The IDF could not explain why the ambulances were also buried.
The IDF said six of the 15 people killed were linked to Hamas, but revealed no detail to support the claim.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:22
Bodies of aid workers found in Gaza
The newly emerged footage of the incident was discovered on a phone belonging to one of the workers who was killed, PRCS president Dr Younis Al Khatib said.
“His phone was found with his body and he recorded the whole event,” he said. “His last words before being shot, ‘Forgive me, mom. I just wanted to help people. I wanted to save lives’.”
Sky News used an aftermath video and satellite imagery to verify the location and timing of the newly emerged footage of the incident.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
2:43
Aid worker attacks increasing
It was filmed on 23 March north of Rafah and shows a convoy of marked ambulances and a fire-fighting vehicle travelling south along a road towards the city centre. All the vehicles visible in the convoy have their flashing lights on.
The footage was filmed early in the morning, with a satellite image seen by Sky News taken at 9.48am local time on the same day showing a group of vehicles bunched together off the road.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has hit out at the US over its “weak” response to lethal Russian attacks on his hometown on Friday.
President Zelenskyy posted a lengthy and emotional statement on X about Russia’s strikes on Kryvyi Rih, which killed 19 people.
Meanwhile Ukrainian drones hit an explosives factory in Russia’s Samara region in an overnight strike, a member of Ukraine’s SBU security service told Reuters.
In his post, President Zelenskyy accused the United States of being “afraid” to name-check Russia in its comment on the attack.
“Unfortunately, the reaction of the American Embassy is unpleasantly surprising: such a strong country, such a strong people – and such a weak reaction,” he wrote on X.
“They are even afraid to say the word “Russian” when talking about the missile that killed children.”
America’s ambassador to Ukraine Bridget Brink had written on X: “Horrified that tonight a ballistic missile struck near a playground and restaurant in Kryvyi Rih.
“More than 50 people injured and 16 killed, including 6 children. This is why the war must end.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:49
Strike on Zelenskyy’s home city
President Zelenskyy went on in his post to say: “Yes, the war must end. But in order to end it, we must not be afraid to call a spade a spade.
“We must not be afraid to put pressure on the only one who continues this war and ignores all the world’s proposals to end it. We must put pressure on Russia, which chooses to kill children instead of a ceasefire.”
Grandmother ‘burned to death in her home’
Oleksandr Vilkul, head of the city’s defense council, said the missile attack, followed by a drone attack, had killed 19 people, including nine children.
“The Iskander-M missile strike with cluster munitions at the children’s playground in the residential area, to make the shrapnel fly further apart, killed 18 people.
“One grandmother was burnt to death in her house after Shahed’s direct hit.”
Russia’s defence ministry said it had struck a military gathering in a restaurant – an assertion rebutted by the Ukrainian military as misinformation.
“The missile hit right on the street – around ordinary houses, a playground, shops, a restaurant,” President Zelenskyy wrote.
Mr Zelenskyy also detailed the child victims of the attack including “Konstantin, who will be 16 forever” and “Arina, who will also be 7 forever”.
The UK’s chief of the defence staff Sir Tony Radakin said he had met the Ukrainian leader on Friday, along with French armed forces leader General Thierry Burkhard.
“Britain and France are coming together & Europe is stepping up in a way that is real & substantial, with 200 planners from 30 nations working to strengthen Ukraine’s long term security,” Sir Tony wrote.
Global financial markets gave a clear vote of no-confidence in President Trump’s economic policy.
The damage it will do is obvious: costs for companies will rise, hitting their earnings.
The consequences will ripple throughout the global economy, with economists now raising their expectations for a recession, not only in the US, but across the world.