A woman who used a kettle to beat a man to death during a violent attack has been jailed for at least 18 years.
Elizabeth Sweeney, 36, had denied murdering Neil Jolly, 49, at his flat in Aberdeen’s Marischal Court in June 2023.
Prosecutors said dad-of-three Mr Jolly had been repeatedly punched on the head and body, kicked on the head, and struck with a kettle, or unknown implement.
Judge Andrew Miller said the “prolonged and sustained assault” resulted in the victim suffering more than 70 blunt force injuries, including to his head, neck, torso, arms and hands.
Image: Neil Jolly. Pic: Police Scotland
The judge told Sweeney: “You inflicted a severe and fatal brain injury and other head injuries which, according to the medical evidence given at your trial, were of a kind which might be expected to result from a high-impact road traffic collision or a fall from height, along with fractures to a rib and to a structure in his throat.”
The murder is believed to have occurred at the high-rise block of flats between the evening of Thursday 22 June 2023 and the early hours of the following morning.
Mr Jolly’s body was eventually discovered by officers on Monday 26 June 2023 after Sweeney herself raised the alarm.
Image: The murder occurred within a flat in Marischal Court, Aberdeen
During the trial, jurors were shown CCTV of the killer out and about after the murder had reportedly taken place.
Judge Miller noted Sweeney had soaked Mr Jolly’s body with water and had attempted to clean blood from the bathroom and kettle.
The judge said: “During the intervening weekend you did nothing to seek help for Neil Jolly or to allow his body to be recovered.
“Instead, you appear to have spent that weekend in much the same way as you might have spent any other weekend, apparently giving little, if any, thought to Neil Jolly’s fate or your part in it.”
Sweeney lodged a special defence of self-defence but was last month found guilty of murder following a trial at the High Court in Aberdeen.
Judge Miller noted the jurors rejected her claim that Mr Jolly had provoked her violent behaviour by allegedly sexually assaulting her while she was asleep.
Instead, jurors were said to be satisfied Sweeney showed prior malice and ill-will towards Mr Jolly by assaulting him on at least two occasions in the space of two weeks or so before his death.
The murder was also said to be aggravated by domestic abuse as the pair were said to be partners or ex-partners at the time of the incident.
Sweeney returned to the dock for sentencing on Monday, where she was handed a mandatory life sentence with at least 18 years behind bars.
The court heard of her lengthy past criminal record, which included convictions for crimes of disorder, dishonesty, assault, and being in possession of an offensive weapon.
Judge Miller noted the criminal justice social work report which highlighted Sweeney’s “difficult personal background” and longstanding drug addiction.
The judge added: “Although you maintain your general description, which the jury rejected, of how this incident began, the report states that you take full responsibility for Neil Jolly’s death and that you feel remorse for your actions.”
Statements written by Mr Jolly’s mother, son and sister were said to “powerfully express” how the family had suffered an “enormous loss”.
Following the court case, Detective Inspector William Murdoch said: “We acknowledge this sentence today and hope that this brings some comfort to the family and friends of Neil Jolly.”
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.