Connect with us

Published

on

Nigel Farage has said he would scrap the UK’s human rights law to enable the mass deportation of illegal migrants, as the government reportedly prepares to send more than 100 small boat arrivals back to France.

Writing in The Daily Telegraph ahead of a speech later today, the Reform leader said the Human Rights Act would be ripped up should he become prime minister.

Politics Hub: Follow live updates

He would also take the country out of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and other international treaties, describing them as “malign influences” which had been “allowed to frustrate deportations”.

Pulling Britain out of the ECHR would make it one of only three European countries not signed up – the others being Russia and Belarus.

The UK’s Human Rights Act, Reform say, would be replaced by a British Bill of Rights. This would only apply to British citizens and those with a legal right to live in the UK.

Small boat arrivals would have no right to claim asylum. They would be housed at old military bases before being deported to their country of origin, or third countries like Rwanda.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Will Starmer’s migration tough talk deliver?

One in, one out

Sir Keir Starmer, meanwhile, is said to be ready to implement one of his major policies to tackle the small boats crisis within weeks.

According to The Times, the one in, one out migrant deal he signed with France’s Emmanuel Macron earlier this summer will soon see more than 100 people sent back.

The newspaper reported there are dozens of migrants currently in detention, including some arrested over the bank holiday weekend, who could be among the first sent back to France.

In exchange, the UK would be expected to take an equal number of asylum seekers in France with ties to Britain.

Read more: How will the one in, one out deal work?

Sir Keir Starmer hopes his deal with Emmanuel Macron will help. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Sir Keir Starmer hopes his deal with Emmanuel Macron will help. Pic: Reuters

A record 28,288 people have crossed the Channel in small boats this year. The total is 46% higher than at the same stage last year.

More boats were seen crossing on Monday, though the figures won’t be published by the Home Office until later.

Sir Keir is under mounting pressure within his own party to grip the issue, with Sir Tony Blair’s former home secretary Lord Blunkett warning the public “will turn on” him.

But they may already have – a YouGov poll over the weekend found 71% of people think the prime minister is dealing with the small boats crisis badly.

Protests have taken place outside hotels used to house asylum seekers over the weekend, and the government is braced for more legal challenges from councils over their use.

Labour have taken a battering in the opinion polls throughout 2025, with Reform consistently in the lead.

Continue Reading

Politics

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

Published

on

By

Appeals court overturns injunction that blocked asylum seekers from Epping hotel

A temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Essex has been overturned at the Court of Appeal.

The Home Office and Somani Hotels, which owns the Bell Hotel in Epping, have successfully challenged a High Court ruling. Today’s hearing saw both parties win the right to appeal, before also winning the appeals themselves.

Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, quashed an earlier injunction granted to Epping Forest District Council, saying: “We allow the appeals and we set aside the injunction imposed on 19 August 2025.”

This means asylum seekers will stay in the accommodation in Essex past 12 September. There are currently 138 asylum seekers being housed at the hotel.

Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA
Image:
Lord Justice Bean delivering the ruling. Pic: PA

Last week, the initial court ruling centred on the change in use of the premises without consent from the local authority.

But after the Home Office argued its case – which involved stating it had the right to appeal – judges have backed the government’s side.

The decision avoids a precedent for other councils to appeal against asylum hotels in their areas.

Council ‘will continue the fight’

A councillor for Epping said the “battle is not over” after the Court of Appeal ruling and vowed the council would “continue the fight”.

Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA
Image:
Councillor Ken Williamson. Pic: PA

Speaking outside the London court, Ken Williamson, said: “We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s hearing.

“The concern and motivation of Epping Forest District Council throughout has been the wellbeing of our local residents, where we had clarity and resolution, we now have doubt and confusion.”

The council could still be granted an injunction following a full hearing of the legal claim, which is due to be heard in October.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Reform UK’s deputy leader Richard Tice: Epping residents should feel ‘angry and frustrated’

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage also criticised the ruling, claiming that “illegal migrants have more rights than the British people under (Keir) Starmer”.

Tory leader Kemi Badenoch echoed this in her own statement, saying: “Keir Starmer has shown that he puts the rights of illegal immigrants above the rights of British people who just want to feel safe in their towns and communities.”

She also urged Conservative councillors seeking similar injunctions against asylum hotels to “keep going” despite the ruling.

Focal point of protests

Epping Forest District Council had asked for the injunction after the Bell Hotel became the focal point of several protests and counter-protests. It claimed its owner, Somani Hotels, had breached planning rules.

Lord Justice Stephen Eyre, who gave the original High Court decision, had said that while the council had not “definitively established” that the company had breached planning rules, “the strength of the claimant’s case is such that it weighs in favour” of granting the injunction.

Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July
Image:
Anti-migration protesters in Epping in July

Regular protests have been held outside the Bell Hotel since an asylum seeker housed there was accused of sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl in July.

Hadush Gerberslasie Kebatu, 38, denies two counts of sexual assault, one count of attempted sexual assault, one count of inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity, and one count of harassment without violence.

His trial has been taking place this week and verdicts are expected at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on 4 September.

A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A
Image:
A view of an England flag outside the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, after a temporary injunction that would have blocked asylum seekers from being housed at the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex, was overturned at the Court of Appeal. Picture date: Friday A

After the Court of Appeal ruling, a small number of protesters gathered outside the Bell Hotel carrying England and Union flags, with police officers guarding the entrance to the hotel, which is gated off with metal fencing.

An England flag has been attached to a drainpipe outside the hotel, while England flags have also been painted onto signs and a speed camera outside the hotel.

Continue Reading

Politics

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Published

on

By

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche leads blockchain transaction growth amid US gov’t implementation

Avalanche transaction growth topped all blockchain networks with 66%, as the smart-contract network saw more government implementation and renewed ETF applications.

Continue Reading

Politics

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in $100M fraud case

Published

on

By

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin says SEC distorted its filings in 0M fraud case

Unicoin urged a New York judge to toss the SEC’s $100 million fraud case, arguing the regulator misquoted filings and relied on “snippets” taken out of context.

Continue Reading

Trending