Around 3,000 Wales football fans are arriving in Qatar to support their home nation as they prepare to play in their first World Cup for 64 years.
Sky News has joined two families from South Wales as they jet off to the Middle East.
Welsh Flags, bucket hats and scarves are all being carefully folded and packed into a suitcase by Marcus Panayi and his 13-year-old son Theo at their home in Cardiff.
“I’m buzzing! I can’t believe it really that we’re going out there!” says Theo.
His excitement is echoed by his dad.
“It’s amazing, isn’t it?” says Marcus. “For me, I’ve been supporting Wales for 42 years, I’ve seen all the disappointment over the years, all the near misses, so really this is once in a lifetime.
“I think every Wales fan who’s going is just going to be on cloud nine when we get there – obviously a lot of the other big countries are used to qualifying, so I think it means a bit more for us.”
More on World Cup 2022
Related Topics:
The pair will join other fans at a special party in the capital Doha over the weekend to welcome the Welsh contingent.
“We’ve been told the alcohol prices are really extortionate, so we are prepared for that, but I think we’ve just got embrace it. The fact we’ve qualified, we’ll focus on the positives and try to have a party as much as we can,” adds Marcus.
Advertisement
Image: Marcus (left) says Wales fans will be on ‘cloud nine’ when they get to Qatar
Twenty-five miles down the M4, near the English border, Huw Hudson and his daughters Amelie and Isabella usually watch Wales in action in their garden games room.
Inside, Wales football and rugby shirts adorn the walls, as do photos of Huw with Gareth Bale and Swansea City players.
“I’m a die-hard Wales and Swansea City fan,” Huw says.
The family will be staying in Dubai and catching internal flights to Qatar for each game – a cheaper option than staying in Qatar and one chosen by many Welsh fans.
Image: Huw Hudson and his family are staying in Dubai and flying to Qatar for each game
We chat to Huw as he cracks open an aptly named bottle of Bale Ale.
“It’s something I’ve been dreaming of since I was a child,” he says.
“All I’ve wanted to do is to see Wales at the World Cup. There’s plenty of times where I never thought it would happen – but to be actually going, it’s a dream come true, once in a lifetime probably.”
Like all fans heading to Qatar, they’ve been told to be aware of cultural sensitivities.
Image: Huw says he’s a die-hard Wales and Swansea fan
Huw says: “There’s a chap who lives in Qatar who’s set up a Red Wall Facebook group which has been really useful so we can get all the local lowdown… just rules, cultures, things to expect and adhere to; so yeah it’s going to be interesting.”
While most fans travelling have paid for themselves, it’s reported a number of Wales and England supporters have had their trips funded by Qatari authorities as part of the Fan Leader Network.
It’s understood flights and accommodation are included, with authorities saying the scheme “contributes to tournament planning through fan insight, research, content creation and message amplification”.
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.