There are major fears homeless deaths in Scotland could rocket this winter as the cost of living crisis worsens.
The Simon Community charity, which is supporting record numbers of vulnerable people, has told Sky News the number of Scots suffering homelessness is a “massive concern”.
Recent official figures from the National Records of Scotland (NRS) reveal an estimated 250 homeless people died last year, which is around 50% higher than in 2017.
Lorraine McGrath, the charity’s chief executive, said: “It is a worsening position over the last three to four years, which is a massive concern.
“The vast majority of those people are under 45 years old.
“That is because of the massive health inequalities they face, the stress on their body that leads to premature ageing, that leads to the long-term conditions that may well be easily treatable.
“People experiencing homelessness don’t enjoy the same access to health care, which increases their risk of early death.”
More on Cost Of Living
Related Topics:
Fears pandemic disguised scale of crisis
The NRS data also confirms the number of children living in temporary accommodation in Scotland has risen to the highest level since records began in 2002.
Advertisement
While the number of people rough sleeping in Scotland has dropped in recent years, charities suggest the pandemic disguised the problem.
In Aberdeen, an army of street volunteers paces the pavements most days, issuing basic supplies to those in need.
Olivia McKay, from Street Friends Aberdeen, said: “I started over a year ago, and we were seeing up to 20 people a day giving them blankets, sleeping bags, food, and clothes.
Image: Olivia McKay is a volunteer for Street Friends Aberdeen
‘There were tears in his eyes’
There are other unique initiatives that individuals are doing on a community level to help.
On a housing estate in the Highland city of Inverness is Gillian McCann, who makes foil blankets for the homeless using recycled crisp packets.
The retail worker has converted her spare room in to a workshop where she irons materials together to create larger sheets and told Sky News she has provided more than 600 items to those in need.
“The group that I am part of got feedback from a guy who sleeps on the streets and there were tears in his eyes,” she said. “He was so delighted with this. It was life changing.”
Shona Robison, Scottish government cabinet secretary for social justice, housing and local government, said the deaths of homeless people are a tragedy and “something we want to avoid”.
She continued: “Our approach is about getting people in to accommodation but also the wrap-around support to help address addiction, mental health. We are providing funding through local authorities.
“Nobody should have to sleep rough in Scotland, and that’s why we are working with local authorities to identify further solutions.”
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.