Connect with us

Published

on

A proposed reunion of two parts of Rupert Murdoch’s empire has been abandoned by the media tycoon.

The 91-year old and his son Lachlan had floated the idea of bringing together News Corp, the US company behind the Wall Street Journal, Harper Collins and The Times newspaper, and Fox News owner Fox Corp.

The two companies were split in 2013 in a move designed to draw a line between the publishing businesses, which was struggling at the time, and its entertainment division.

The board of News Corp said last year it had formed a committee to independently assess whether the reunification of the two businesses would be in shareholders’ interests.

Several top investors had since spoken out against the idea, suggesting it could have undervalued News Corp.

The Murdoch family controls about 40% of the entities.

The proposed tie-up was perceived, in some quarters, as potential succession planning by Murdoch Sr to consolidate power behind his son, the Fox chief, though that prospect was dismissed as “absurd” by the company last November.

News Corp said: “The company’s board of directors received a letter from K Rupert Murdoch withdrawing the proposal to explore a potential combination of News Corp and Fox Corporation.

“In withdrawing the proposal, Mr Murdoch indicated that he and Lachlan K Murdoch have determined that a combination is not optimal for shareholders of News Corp and Fox at this time.”

According to the Reuters news agency, News Corp is in talks about exploring a sale of its stake in Move, the operator of the realtor.com website, to CoStar Group for a sum of about $3bn.

Continue Reading

Business

Budget 2025: Hospitality pleads for ‘lifeline’ as Rachel Reeves accused of imposing ‘stealth tax’

Published

on

By

Budget 2025: Hospitality pleads for 'lifeline' as Rachel Reeves accused of imposing 'stealth tax'

Rachel Reeves has been accused of failing to “support the great British pub” as she promised in the budget, with owners facing skyrocketing business rates bills.

In her speech in the House of Commons on Wednesday, the chancellor said she was backing small businesses by introducing “permanently lower tax rates for over 750,000 retail, hospitality and leisure properties – the lowest tax rates since 1991”.

But while the government gave itself the powers to discount the business rates bills for high street businesses through legislation earlier this year, the chancellor only implemented a reduction of a quarter of what the government is able to, and she is being accused of imposing a “stealth tax”.

It has left small retail, hospitality, and leisure businesses questioning whether their businesses will be viable beyond April next year.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky’s Ed Conway looks at the aftermath of the budget and explains who the winners and losers are.

A Treasury spokesperson said: “We’re protecting pubs, restaurants and cafes with the budget’s £4.3bn support package – capping bill rises so a typical independent pub will pay around £4,800 less next year than they otherwise would have.

“This comes on top of cutting licensing costs to help more venues offer pavement drinks and al fresco dining, maintaining our cut to alcohol duty on draught pints, and capping corporation tax.”

Business rates, which are a tax on commercial properties in England and Wales, are calculated through a complex formula of the value of the property, assessed by a government agency every three years, combined with a national “multiplier” set by the Treasury, giving a final cash amount.

More on Budget 2025

Chancellor Rachel Reeves has been accused of imposing a "stealth tax" on hospitality businesses. Pic: PA
Image:
Chancellor Rachel Reeves has been accused of imposing a “stealth tax” on hospitality businesses. Pic: PA

Over the last few years, small businesses were given business rates relief of 75% to support them over the COVID pandemic, and Ms Reeves reduced that to 40% at last year’s budget.

The idea was that at the budget this year, the chancellor would remove that remaining relief in favour of reforming the business rates system to compensate for that drop, while shifting the tax burden on to much bigger businesses and companies like Amazon with lots of warehouse space.

However, the chancellor only announced a 5p in the pound discount for small retail, hospitality, and leisure businesses, rather than the assumed 20p drop which the government gave itself the powers to implement, and which trade bodies had been lobbying for.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

How will your personal finances change following the budget announced by the chancellor?

On top of that, small businesses have seen the government-assessed value of their property increase dramatically, which wipes out the discount, and sees their business rates bill shoot far above what they had previously been paying.

One pub owner near Hull, Sam Caroll, has seen the assessed value of one of his two properties increase from £67,000 to £110,000 in just three years – a 64% increase.

He told Sky News that there is a “continual question” of business viability, and while he thinks they can “adapt” in the short term, “there will be a tipping point at some point”. Even at the moment, packing out their pubs seven nights a week, “it’s difficult for us to break even”, he said.

There will be a discount for small businesses to transition to the higher business rates level, but by year three, almost the full amount is expected to be payable, and Mr Carroll described it as “getting f***** slowly, instead of getting f***** overnight”.

👉 Listen to Sky News Daily on your podcast app 👈

Sean Hughes, who owns multiple hospitality venues in St Albans, has also seen vast increases in the assessed value of his properties, and was sharply critical of the transitional arrangements the government is implementing.

He told Sky News: “Fundamental business rate reform was promised and we have total chaos. If [the system] was fair, why would they need transitional relief periods?”

A spokesperson of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), which assesses the value of commercial properties for business rates purposes, told Sky News: “At the last revaluation, some sectors including hospitality were significantly affected by the pandemic, which resulted in much lower rateable values than they would have seen otherwise. Businesses that have now seen a recovery in trade are also likely to see an increase in their rateable value.”

Read more:
Reeves accused of deliberately making UK finances look worse
Budget is a big risk for Labour’s election plans

However, Sky News has seen evidence of businesses whose assessed value did not decrease when assessed during the pandemic, but actually rose, and has risen dramatically this year.

Data compiled by the Pubs Advisory Service, shows that the number of pubs in the UK has decreased by nearly 5% in three years, but the average value of the properties has risen by an average of 36.82% per pub.

And analysis by UK Hospitality, the trade body that represents hospitality businesses, has found that over the next three years, the average pub will pay an extra £12,900 in business rates, even with the transitional arrangements, while an average hotel will see its bill soar by £205,200.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The prime minister has defended the budget after he and the chancellor were accused of breaking their promise to voters.

The body adds that by 2028/29, an average pub’s business rates will have increased by 76% and an average hotel’s by 115%, compared to 16% for a distribution warehouse like the ones the web giants use.

It’s not just the business rates rise that is worrying owners – it is the increase in employers’ national insurance implemented at the last budget, the increase in energy bills over the last few years, and the rise in the minimum wage, particularly for young people.

With the budget set to squeeze disposal income, there is little room for price increases to make up the shortfall either.

In a letter to the chancellor on Friday, Liberal Democrat deputy leader Daisy Cooper said small business owners “have been pushed to tears as they’re hit with the bombshell of higher business rates bills”, noting that “the government has chosen not to use the full powers it gave itself to throw high streets a lifeline”.

She added that businesses had been promised “permanently lower business rates”, but it appears the government has “broken yet another promise, by imposing a stealth tax not just on people, but on treasured high street businesses too”, and called on ministers to “throw our high streets and Britain’s hospitality sector a lifeline”.

Conservative shadow business secretary Andrew Griffith published his own analysis of the government’s budget measures on Friday morning, that found they will “hammer British pubs”.

Of the chancellor, he said: “She pretended in her budget speech to be supportive, whilst the true detail is that a combination of rate revaluations and scrapping reliefs will leave most pubs paying thousands of pounds more than they cannot afford.”

Kate Nicholls, Chair of UKHospitality, said in a statement: “The government promised in its manifesto that it would level the playing field between the high street and online giants. The plan in the budget to achieve this is quickly unravelling, and will deliver the exact opposite.”

She said they “repeatedly warned the Treasury” of the impending impacted of the value reassessment, but nonetheless, hospitality businesses are now facing “eye-watering increases”.

She added: “We agree with its reforms to deliver permanently lower business rates for hospitality and we appreciate the package of transitional relief, but its current proposal is not delivering lower bills. A 20p discount for hospitality would. We urge the chancellor to revisit.”

Continue Reading

Business

JPMorgan Chase unveils plans to build new £10bn ‘landmark tower’ in London – double the size of The Shard

Published

on

By

JPMorgan Chase unveils plans to build new £10bn 'landmark tower' in London - double the size of The Shard

Plans have been announced for a new “landmark tower” in London with double the floor space of Britain’s tallest building, The Shard.

JPMorgan Chase unveiled details of the proposed office block after banks escaped having their taxes raised in the budget earlier this week.

The US multinational bank said the new building in Canary Wharf, in the east of the capital, would have a floor space of three million square feet. The Shard, in London Bridge, covers 1.3 million square feet.

However, the final design of the tower, including its height, is still being finalised.

A spokesperson for the firm told Sky News that they hoped to have clarity “soon” on how tall the building would be and the number of storeys. But it is expected to be one of the biggest office blocks in Europe.

Money latest: Not paying your student loan back yet? That could change sooner than you think

JPMorgan Chase boss Jamie Dimon reportedly signed off on the plans late last week.

It came after Sir Keir Starmer’s business envoy Varun Chandra flew out to New York to personally “offer assurances about the government’s business-friendly policies,” the Financial Times reported on Friday.

The Shard is the tallest building in western Europe. Pic: Reuters
Image:
The Shard is the tallest building in western Europe. Pic: Reuters

The company also warned in a press release that its plans were “subject to a continuing positive business environment in the UK”, as well as planning permission from local authorities.

JPMorgan Chase said the project could contribute up to £9.9bn to the UK economy over six years, including by generating 7,800 jobs, many of them in the construction industry.

Read more from Sky News:
TGI Fridays’ UK chain up for sale

‘Sticking to Labour manifesto pledge costs workers’
HSBC chair candidates to pitch to board next week

The tower would house up to 12,000 people and serve as JPMorgan Chase’s main UK headquarters and its most significant presence in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.

The firm, which employs 23,000 people in the UK, said the tower would be “one of the largest and most sophisticated in Europe”.

The building is being designed by British architects Foster and Partners, known for landmarks projects including the new Wembley Stadium and London’s Millennium Bridge.

Mr Dimon said: “London has been a trading and financial hub for more than a thousand years, and maintaining it as a vibrant place for finance and business is critical to the health of the UK economy.

“This building will represent our lasting commitment to the city, the UK, our clients and our people.”

Mr Dimon added: “The UK government’s priority of economic growth has been a critical factor in helping us make this decision.”

Chancellor Rachel Reeves said she was “thrilled” about the announcement, while Mayor of London Sir Sadiq Khan said it represented a “huge vote of confidence in the capital’s future”.

Continue Reading

Business

Miner Anglo American faces bloody nose over executive payouts

Published

on

By

Miner Anglo American faces bloody nose over executive payouts

An influential City group is urging investors to oppose plans that would guarantee a multimillion pound share bonanza to executives at Anglo American as it finalises a $33bn merger with Canada’s Teck Resources.

Sky News understands that the Investment Association’s IVIS voting advisory service has issued next month’s vote on amendments to Anglo’s long-term incentive awards with a ‘red-top’ alert – its strongest possible warning against the resolution.

The development comes days after rival miner BHP approached Anglo for a second time about a potential takeover, before abruptly withdrawing.

Anglo, the mining group which owns De Beers, wants to amend its share awards to guarantee that they would pay out at least 62.5% of their value if the merger completes.

Institutional Shareholder Services, which has recommended that shareholders vote in favour of the merger itself, has also recommended opposition to the bonus scheme amendments.

“The amending of awards to reflect M&A factors not envisioned when the awards were first granted is not considered inappropriate in the UK market per se,” ISS said in a report to clients.

“However, in this case, the amending of in-flight LTIP awards in order to ensure a minimum payout linked to the completion of the merger transaction is.

“Indeed, the linking of variable incentives to the completion of transactions is not considered good practice, which is itself recognised by the company.”

Read more from Sky News:
TGI Fridays’ UK chain up for sale

‘Sticking to Labour manifesto pledge costs workers’
HSBC chair candidates to pitch to board next week

The IA declined to comment further on the red-top alert.

A spokesman for Anglo American said the proposed changes would drive “even greater alignment with shareholders’ interests”.

Continue Reading

Trending