Connect with us

Published

on

Police investigating the attempted murder of an officer in Northern Ireland have released CCTV footage of a car used in the shooting – as a charity offered a £150,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell was shot multiple times by two gunmen just before 8pm on 22 February after a football training session at a sports centre in Omagh, County Tyrone.

The attack took place in front of his young son and other children who had attended the coaching session.

The police officer remains in a critical but stable condition.

Days after the shooting, police released footage of a blue Ford Fiesta with the registration number MGZ 6242 which was then fitted with false plates, FRZ 8414, prior to the attack.

Police have now released more footage of this vehicle while also saying they believe a second blue Ford Fiesta was used in the shooting.

File photo dated 17/11/20 of Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell, who has been named as the off-duty police officer injured in a shooting at a sports complex in the Killyclogher Road area of Omagh, Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland. Issue date: Thursday February 23, 2023.
Read less
Picture by: David Young/PA Wire/PA Images
Image:
Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell

Detective Chief Superintendent Eamonn Corrigan said: “I am now in a position to say that I believe a second Ford Fiesta was used in the attempted murder of DCI Caldwell.

“It is also a blue Ford Fiesta of a similar model.

“This second car had the registration number RLZ 9805 and was bought in Glengormley towards the end of January. I believe this car travelled to Belfast around this date.”

DCS Corrigan said the vehicle was then driven from Belfast at around 1pm on the day of the shooting and travelled along the M1 in the direction of Coalisland and Omagh.

It was found burned out in the Ardboe Industrial Estate in Dungannon the following day, Thursday 23 February.

DCS Corrigan added he would like to know where the vehicle was stored and its movements between the afternoon of the 22nd and when it was found destroyed the following day.

A forensic investigator from Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) inspects the ground at the sports complex in the Killyclogher Road area of Omagh, Co Tyrone, where off-duty PSNI Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell was shot a number of times by masked men in front of young people he had been coaching. Mr Caldwell remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital following the attack on Wednesday evening. Picture date: Thursday February 23, 2023.
Image:
A forensic officer at the scene after the shooting

Meanwhile, police released new CCTV footage of the first blue Ford Fiesta as it travelled into Coalisland at around 10pm on the night before the attack.

“Previous CCTV footage issued shows this blue Ford Fiesta leaving the sports complex and turning left onto the Killyclogher Road immediately after the shooting. We then know it travelled past Glendale Service Station to the Racolpa Road where it was abandoned and set on fire,” DCS Corrigan said.

He added that this first Ford Fiesta was purchased in Ballyclare on Wednesday 8 February and was seen travelling towards Belfast on the M2 Motorway that night.

It is known to have left Belfast at around 9.30pm on Tuesday 21 February, the night before the shooting, before travelling along the M1 Motorway into Coalisland at around 10pm.

DCS Corrigan has appealed to anyone who knows where either of these two cars were kept prior to the shooting or has knowledge of their movements on the day of the attack to come forward.

Officers have so far arrested eight men aged between 22 and 71 in the investigation and all have been released after questioning.

The police are treating the attack as terror-related and their main line of inquiry is that it was carried out by the New IRA republican dissident group.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The initial CCTV footage released by police which shows the gunmen fleeing the scene

Meanwhile, the Crimestoppers Trust has increased its reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction to £150,000.

Crimestoppers director of operations Mark Duthrie announced the increase at PSNI headquarters.

He said: “We want those responsible for the shooting to be brought to justice.

“Today I want to announce that through the generosity of anonymous donors from Northern Ireland we are now increasing our reward for information leading to arrest and conviction up to a total of £150,000.

“This is one of the highest rewards the charity has ever offered.”

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

Trending