Connect with us

Published

on

The Republican Party’s only black senator Tim Scott has launched his bid to become its candidate for the 2024 presidential election.

Mr Scott filed his candidacy for the GOP nomination on Friday but kicked off his campaign officially with a speech to supporters in his hometown of North Charleston, South Carolina on Monday.

The 57-year-old South Carolina senator is the highest profile Republican to officially take on Donald Trump for the 2024 nomination so far.

“Joe Biden and the radical left are attacking every rung of the ladder that helped me climb,” Scott said. “And that is why I am announcing today that I am running for president of the United States of America.”

U.S. Senator Tim Scott (R-SC), the only Black Republican senator, announces his candidacy for the 2024 Republican presidential race in North Charleston, South Carolina, U.S. May 22, 2023. REUTERS/Randall Hill
Tim Scott campaign workers in North Charleston on Monday
Image:
Tim Scott campaign workers in North Charleston on Monday

Only black politician to ever serve in both houses

Mr Scott’s political career has seen him make history on various counts.

Not only is he the sole black Republican in the US Senate, he is also the first black person ever to serve in both chambers of Congress.

More on Us Election 2024

Only 11 black people have ever served in the US Senate. Currently the other two are Democrats Cory Booker (New Jersey) and Raphael Warnock (Georgia).

He started off as a Democrat, however, when volunteering on the congressional campaign trail for Mark Sanford in South Carolina’s 1st district in 1994.

Inspired to run for a seat on Charleston’s County Council, he approached the local party, but was told to “get in line”, he revealed in an interview with Politico.

Instead he ran for the Republicans and in 1995 became the first black Republican to hold any political office in South Carolina since 1902.

He worked in insurance and as a financial adviser before entering politics full-time.

In 2009 he was elected to the South Carolina statehouse, two years before getting a seat in the House of Representatives in 2011.

The following year when South Carolina’s senator Jim DeMint retired, the then state governor Nikki Haley appointed him as his replacement.

Ms Haley is now Mr Scott’s rival for the 2024 nomination.

Tim Scott
Image:
Tim Scott is the first black senator to serve in both chambers of Congress

Campaign ‘never about race’

Mr Scott is presenting himself as an antidote to the traditional rhetoric around race in the US.

He refused an invitation to join the Congressional Black Caucus in 2010, saying: “My campaign was never about race.”

Instead he chose the Women’s Caucus because he is the “product of a powerful single mother”.

In a speech in 2021, he said that while he has “experienced the pain of discrimination… America is not a racist country”.

At a Black History Month event in February, he said: “I’m not here to suggest that things could not get better and I’m going to work every single day to make sure that all Americans play on a level playing field.

“But today is not 1865 … We have made tremendous progress, and it’s time that we as a people celebrate the progress we are making.”

In his recent Politico interview he said he experienced “more racism” at times from his black friends – for not “meeting the expectation of the groupthink” at school.

He also revealed he has been stopped by police officers guarding the Capitol who didn’t know who he was.

Taking on Trump

Mr Scott has joined Ms Haley, the woman who helped him get into the Senate, and Asa Hutchinson, Arkansas’ former governor, in the race to rival Joe Biden for the next election.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is likely to announce his candidacy in the coming days.

Donald Trump

The South Carolina senator has avoided being overly critical of his main rival Donald Trump.

But after Trump’s comments on the deadly 2017 white supremacist rally in Charlottesville – that there were “very fine people on both sides” – he said the the -president had “compromised his moral authority to lead”.

Trump is ahead in the polls, but Mr Scott is popular with donors, including billionaire Oracle founder Larry Ellison, and voters in South Carolina.

Continue Reading

US

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Published

on

By

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.

Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Officers were called on Saturday to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) and district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.

He said the attacker was still at large.

First responders walk through a parking lot near the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California. Pics: AP
Image:
First responders walk through a parking lot near the scene of a mass shooting in Stockton, California. Pics: AP

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.

The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.

Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.

Stockton’s vice mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.

Pics: AP
Image:
Pics: AP

Mayor Christina Fugazzi also said that “families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive”.

California governor Gavin Newsom’s office added that he had been briefed on the “horrific shooting”.

Continue Reading

US

Venezuela accuses Trump of ‘colonial threat’ after US president ‘closes’ its airspace

Published

on

By

Venezuela accuses Trump of 'colonial threat' after US president 'closes' its airspace

Venezuela has accused Donald Trump of a “colonial threat” after he said the airspace “above and surrounding” the country should be considered closed “in its entirety”.

Mr Trump made the declaration amid growing tensions with President Maduro – and as the US continues attacking boats it claims are carrying drugs from Venezuela.

He wrote on Truth Social: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.”

Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24
Image:
Air traffic above Venezuela on Saturday afternoon. Pic: FlightRadar24

Venezuela’s foreign affairs office called it a “colonial threat” and “illegal, and unjustified aggression”.

It accused the president of threatening “the sovereignty of the national airspace… and the full sovereignty of the Venezuelan state”.

President Trump’s words were part of a “permanent policy of aggression against our country” that breached international law and the UN Charter, it added.

The Pentagon and the White House have so far not given any additional detail on the president’s statement.

Mr Trump’s post comes after the American aviation regulator last week warned of a “potentially hazardous situation” over Venezuela due to a “worsening security situation”.

Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters
Image:
Nicolas Maduro is widely considered a dictator by the West. Pic: Reuters

The South American nation revoked operating rights for six major airlines that went on to suspend flights to the country.

Mr Trump warned a few days ago that land operations against suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers would begin “very soon”.

Such a move would be a major escalation in Operation Southern Spear – the US naval deployment in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific that’s so far attacked at least 21 vessels.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Three killed as US strikes another alleged drug boat

Venezuela has said the attacks, which have killed more than 80 people, amount to murder.

The US has released videos of boats being targeted, but hasn’t provided evidence – such as photos of their cargo – to support the smuggling claims.

Read more:
Trump may have another motive in war on drugs
The US-Venezuela crisis explained

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Venezuela claims Trump creating ‘fables’ to justify ‘war’

The Pentagon has sought to justify the strikes by labelling the drug gangs as “foreign terrorist organisations” – putting them on par with the likes of al Qaeda.

It claims the boats targeted are carrying drugs bound for the US, although Sky’s chief correspondent says the final destination is likely to be Europe and West Africa.

President Maduro has denied Mr Trump’s claims he is involved in the drugs trade himself and said his counterpart wants to oust him so he can install a more sympathetic government.

Venezuelan officials have also claimed Mr Trump’s true motivation is access to the country’s plentiful oil reserves.

Mr Maduro is widely considered a dictator who’s cheated elections and has been president since 2013.

Continue Reading

US

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Published

on

By

Children killed in mass shooting at birthday party in Stockton, California

Children are among the fatalities in a mass shooting at a child’s birthday party in California.

Police said four people had died and 10 were wounded in the incident in Stockton, about 60 miles east of San Francisco.

Officers were called to a banquet hall just before 6pm local time (2am UK time) on Saturday and local district attorney Ron Freitas said children were among the dead.

He said the attacker was still at large.

“We can confirm at this time that approximately 14 individuals were struck by gunfire, and four victims have been
confirmed deceased,” San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said on X.

The post said early indications suggest it could be a “targeted incident” but that information remains limited.

Police have so far not disclosed the attacker’s identity and the motive is unclear.

More on California

Stockton’s Vice Mayor Jason Lee confirmed on Facebook that the shooting on Lucile Avenue happened at a child’s birthday party.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the latest version.

You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.

Continue Reading

Trending