The first named storm of the season is expected to wreak havoc on Britain this weekend, with forecasters warning “unseasonably” strong winds could pose a danger to life.
Storm Antoni is expected to batter the coastlines with gusts of up to 65mph, while winds could reach 55mph inland in parts of South Wales and southwest England, the Met Office said.
The storm will hit the UK from late Friday night and into Saturday, with strong winds and heavy rain forecast. Two yellow weather warnings have been issued by the Met Office for Northern Ireland and parts of southwest Britain.
Twitter
This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.
“Injuries and danger to life from flying debris are possible,” the Met Office said, as it warned of “large waves and beach material being thrown on to sea fronts, coastal roads and properties”.
Persistent downpours could also spark flooding and travel disruption.
Met Office chief meteorologist Steve Willington said the storm will bring “potentially disruptive” weather as it moves from west to east.
“Northern Ireland is likely to see some of the highest rainfall totals, with 40-60mm falling in some spots, but 20-30mm more widely,” he said.
“Away from the warning area, many will still see a very wet day, especially in North Wales and north England.
Advertisement
“The strongest winds will affect parts of southwest England and southwest Wales, where exposed coasts and high ground could see gusts in excess of 60mph.
“In these areas, gusts inland could reach 50-55mph for a time. These windy conditions will likely coincide with high tides, which will present an additional challenge for coastal areas.”
Image: Two yellow weather warnings for wind and rain have been issued by the Met Office
The RAC’s Rod Dennis warned that Saturday is expected to be the worst day on the roads of the summer so far.
He said: “Conditions will be atrocious with a wholly unpleasant mix of very strong winds and locally intense rainfall.
“The best advice is to slow down significantly to stay safe and avoid exposed moorland and coastal routes until the storm passes.”
After a month of largely unsettled weather for the UK, there are some tentative signs of a change, albeit perhaps only briefly.
Mr Willington said: “For the latter half of next week, there are some signals of a shift in the jet stream which may allow for high pressure to build in for southern areas of the UK, increasing the likelihood of some drier weather for a time.
“However, at this range, the details are quite uncertain and there’s still a chance of some rain for areas further north.”
Sky News weather presenter Jo Wheeler said of Storm Antoni: “Obviously such wind speeds present challenges, if not dangers, to holidaymakers and day-trippers.
“Trees in full leaf, and already weakened by the storm earlier this week, will be at risk of uprooting. Power lines will be vulnerable to being blown down. Not to mention, the obvious problems for campers, drivers towing caravans and those using small craft in coastal waters.
“On the roads, surface water, spray and potential flash floods may pose problems.”
She added: “On the plus side, the storm will pass fairly quickly, with the worst of the weather clearing eastern coasts on Saturday evening. But the fact remains, Storm Antoni will be hitting the country on one of the biggest crossover Saturdays of the year.”
On Tuesday, official figures revealed that last month was the UK’s sixth-wettest July since records began in 1836 – and the wettest ever seen in Northern Ireland.
The UK had an average rainfall of 140.1mm last month. The wettest ever was in July 1988 when the average was 150.5mm.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.