The King has sent a good luck message to the Lionesses ahead of their historic World Cup final against Spain.
“May you roar to victory,” King Charles said in a social media post ahead of Sunday’s match.
The King and Queen are set to be among the 13 million Britons expected to tune in for the historic game, which kicks off in Sydney at 11am UK time today.
A Buckingham Palace source said: “Both Their Majesties will be following Sunday’s events with the greatest interest.”
Twitter
This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.
England men’s boss Gareth Southgate followed the monarch in offering his best wishes to Sarina Wiegman‘s team, aiming to become England’s first World Cup-winning footballers since 1966.
But he admitted he had “no advice” to offer a team that has accomplished what his has not.
Speaking in a video posted on the Lionesses’ social media, Southgate said: “Hi to you all out there in Australia. You’re doing a brilliant job, so that’s the first thing, and of course there is no advice because you’ve done more than us already, and you know what is needed to win.
“So all that remains is to wish you the very best for the final, and we hope you can bring that trophy back. Good luck everybody.”
His sentiments were echoed by England men’s captain Harry Kane, who during the tournament completed a £100m move to Bayern Munich.
Advertisement
He said: “Hi Lionesses, I just wanted to say best of luck for the World Cup final on Sunday. I’ll be watching.
“Amazing journey so far, you should be really proud of yourselves. We’re all behind you, all supporting you, we know you can do it, so go and get that World Cup win and bring that trophy home. All the best.”
Image: The London Eye lit up on Saturday night in England’s colours ahead of Sunday’s World Cup final
‘You’ve made us all proud’
In other messages of support, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said “you’ve made us all proud”.
“Whatever the result, I want you to know that you have secured a lasting legacy,” he said.
“That every girl in this country will have equal access to all school sport, including football.”
Mr Sunak said from being crowned European champions at Wembley last year, to their dramatic campaign in Australia this summer, the squad had made young girls “feel they belong on the pitch”.
“So, in a way, you’ve already brought football home,” he said, referencing the popular England anthem.
“All that remains is to bring the trophy home too – and the whole nation is rooting for you.”
Twitter
This content is provided by Twitter, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Twitter cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Twitter cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Twitter cookies for this session only.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer echoed similar sentiments in his letter to the Lionesses as he told them that “everyone back in England is with you all the way”.
Sir Keir said: “No matter what happens on Sunday, the whole country will always be grateful to you for ensuring a generation of youngsters walk taller and prouder.
“Just as for previous games we will be tuning in as a family, kicking every ball while trying to keep a lid on our nerves. Millions of households will be doing the same.”
Spreaker
This content is provided by Spreaker, which may be using cookies and other technologies.
To show you this content, we need your permission to use cookies.
You can use the buttons below to amend your preferences to enable Spreaker cookies or to allow those cookies just once.
You can change your settings at any time via the Privacy Options.
Unfortunately we have been unable to verify if you have consented to Spreaker cookies.
To view this content you can use the button below to allow Spreaker cookies for this session only.
Experts are predicting the match could shatter previous viewing records for a women’s football match, which included an average audience of 11 million for the Euros final in 2022 against Germany.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:50
Wiegman: ‘We hope we’ll play our best game ever’
William and Charlotte’s good luck message
Mr Sunak has opted not to travel to the match and will be among those watching from home, with the foreign and culture secretaries to represent the government at Stadium Australia.
None of Britain’s royals will be there, either, with Prince William issuing an apology.
Prince William’s absence from this tournament will not go unnoticed
This is about more than the royals not attending the World Cup final.
Their absence from the entire tournament seems glaring when it has been co-hosted by Australia and New Zealand – both countries where the British monarch is head of state.
Charles, as Prince of Wales, attended the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on the Gold Coast in 2018.
And the absence of the heir to the throne will be particularly pronounced in Sydney on Sunday when England face off with Spain for football’s biggest prize because William is president of the Football Association.
It has already been noted among FIFA’s leadership when games at this World Cup are attended by lower ranking football officials from countries.
And Queen Letizia of Spain will be at Stadium Australia.
The lack of senior English dignitaries will surely linger in minds of FIFA – particularly when there are potential future World Cup bids to be won.
The prince has come in for particular criticism because he is the president of the Football Association (FA).
“Sorry we can’t be there in person,” he said in a video on Saturday, joined by daughter Princess Charlotte.
The young royal said in the clip: “Good luck Lionesses!”
William wished the team “huge good luck” for the match, saying his family are “so proud of everything you have achieved and the millions you have inspired here and around the world”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:13
Royal message: ‘Good luck Lionesses!’
Women and girls around the country celebrate progress
As the Lionesses take to the field, they will be backed by hordes of women and girls rooting for their heroes, with many celebrating the progress that has been made since their parents and grandparents were denied a chance to play the game.
One fan, 70-year-old Gail Newsham, says she can’t wait to see the team take to the pitch, after growing up at a time when women were banned from the sport.
She told the AP news agency: “I’ll be wearing my shirt, I’ll be having a sausage roll and a glass of bubbles. That’s what I’ve done every match, so I’m going to do it again on Sunday and just, you know, cheer the girls on.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:37
How Lionesses inspire young fan
Ava, 10, is just one of the young girls inspired by the Lionesses.
The young footballer, whose favourite player is injured captain Leah Williamson, told Sky News she was “nervous” about the final and there would be “big cheers” if England won.
“I see them as people I want to become,” she said.
“It’s inspirational how women who used to not be able to do a lot of stuff have climbed up the mountain to become the best they can be.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:32
‘Moment of inspiration’ – what football means for Starmer family
England boss Wiegman has said her players are hoping to play their “best game ever”to bring the trophy home.
She said: “We felt the support, we felt the support here, but also from the other side of the world in the UK. That’s something that we dream of.”
A major incident has been declared in Northern Ireland after a wildfire broke out, the latest in a series of blazes seen across the UK over the past week amid soaring temperatures.
More than 100 firefighters and 14 fire appliances were at the scene of the “significant” wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said.
The fire had a front of approximately two miles “including a large area of forestry close to property”, the service said.
Image: The wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown. Pic: Sky Watch NI
“Local residents are requested to avoid the area, a number of roads have been closed, to help support firefighting operations,” the fire service added.
“We ask that all members of the public remain particularly vigilant to the risk of fire at this time. We can reassure members of the public that normal service delivery is being maintained.”
Image: More than 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire. Pic: Sky Watch NI
On Saturday, helicopters were deployed to tackle Scotland’s fourth wildfire this week, with police saying a blaze “which started in the Newton Stewart area has spread northwards and is expected to reach the Loch Doon area of East Ayrshire around 12am on Sunday”.
More on Northern Ireland
Related Topics:
Police Scotland added: “As a precautionary measure members of the public are asked to avoid the Loch Doon area and anyone who may be camping in the area is advised to leave.”
Image: Moors Valley Country Park blackened by fires this week
Elsewhere in England, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were assisting the fire service with temporary road closures on the A30 in the Bolventor area as they tackle “a number of fires” on moorland.
In Dorset, Moors Valley Country Park was forced to close after multiple wildfires broke out there on Wednesday.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:28
Wildfires spread across nature reserve
Separate incidents were then reported at Upton Heath in Poole on Wednesday, and nearby Canford Heath in the early hours of Thursday.
Friday was officially the warmest day of the year so far – with temperatures in the south of England reaching 23C (73.4F) – the highest since 21 September last year, according to the Met Office.
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.