The Met Office put forward the names of people working to protect the public from severe weather around the UK.
Ciaran, after Ciaran Fearon, who works for the Department of Infrastructure in Northern Ireland sharing information on river levels and coastal flooding, was one of those named by the Met Office.
Advertisement
Debi Garft, who recently retired as a senior policy officer in the Scottish government flooding team, was chosen after helping to form the Scottish Flood Forum and the Scottish Flood Forecasting Service.
Image: The name Minnie, after The Beano character, Minnie the Minx, is on the list. File pic
Regina, named after Regina Simmons, who works for the Natural Resources Wales Warning and Informing team, was also added to the list.
Another person to have inspired an entry on the new list was Stuart Sampson, who has worked for nearly 20 years managing water supplies in times of drought for the Environment Agency.
Mr Sampson said: “Our weather is a great conversation starter. Giving a storm a name means we can all talk about an event with a clear and common understanding.
“Everyone knows what you mean by Hurricane Katrina, for example – you know the magnitude and impacts that had on America.
The full list of storm names for 2023/24
• Agnes
• Babet
• Ciaran
• Debi
• Elin
• Fergus
• Gerrit
• Henk
• Isha
• Jocelyn
• Kathleen
• Lilian
• Minnie
• Nicholas
• Olga
• Piet
• Regina
• Stuart
• Tamiko
• Vincent
• Walid
“But if you said the low-pressure cyclone it would not resonate as much.
“By naming storms, this will help everyone be better prepared and in the conversation.”
Alongside the Met Office’s suggestions, Met Eireann put forward the names of famous scientists, while KNMI’s suggestions were submitted by the Dutch public during visits to the forecaster throughout the year.
Meteorologists from the three organisations name storms when they are expected to have a “medium” or “high” impact on people in the UK, Ireland or the Netherlands.
When the criteria for naming a storm are met, either the Met Office, Met Eireann or KNMI can name a storm.
It is a practice that began in 2015 in the UK and, according to the Met Office, helps to communicate the seriousness of a storm to the public and helps people recognise what steps to take.
More than 20 names were chosen for the last storm season, which had four storms – Otto, Noa, Antoni and Betty.
Otto was named by meteorologists in Denmark, while Noa was named by the French national meteorological service, Meteo France.
If other mereological agencies name storms first, then the names are adopted by the Met Office, Met Eireann and KNMI.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.