A man who sexually assaulted and murdered his 16-year-old sister has been jailed for at least 22 years.
Connor Gibson, who was 19 at the time of the attack, targeted Amber Gibson in woodland in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, in November 2021.
He removed his sister’s clothes, sexually assaulted her with the intention of raping her, and inflicted blunt force trauma to her head and body and strangled her.
Amber died as a result of compression of the neck, Gibson’s 13-day trial at the High Court in Glasgow found.
Image: Amber Gibson
The 21-year-old was convicted in July. At the High Court in Livingston on Monday, he was jailed for life and ordered to serve at least 22 years in prison before he can apply for parole.
Judge Lord Mulholland told Gibson: “She was looking forward to seeing you the night she was murdered, she even posted a selfie of both of you on her Snapchat.
“The last person she saw alive was you, her brother, having strangled the life out of her after beating her up and trying to rape her.
“What you did was truly evil.
“Science told the world what you had done to Amber.”
Advertisement
Amber was reported missing on the evening of Friday 26 November 2021 and her body was discovered in Cadzow Glen on the morning of 28 November.
Stephen Corrigan, 45, found the teenager’s remains at some point during those two days but instead of alerting emergency services, he intimately touched and concealed her body.
Corrigan, who was not known to Gibson, lodged a special defence of alibi but was found guilty of attempting to defeat the ends of justice and breach of the peace after being unable to explain why his DNA was found on 39 areas of Amber’s body, including her breasts, buttocks and thighs.
He was jailed for nine years.
At the time of Amber’s murder, Gibson was living at the Blue Triangle homeless hostel in Hamilton while Amber was at the town’s Hillhouse children’s home.
Following Gibson’s conviction, the Crown Office released CCTV evidence showing the siblings together on the night of the murder.
Gibson was also captured on camera walking home alone after the fatal attack and attempting to dispose of items once back at his hostel.
Image: Connor and Amber Gibson on the night of the murder. Pic: Crown Office
Image: Gibson walking alone on the night of the murder. Pic: Crown Office
He was arrested on 1 December 2021. The day before, he posted a tribute to his sister on Facebook.
He wrote: “Amber, you will fly high for the rest of time.
“We will all miss you. Especially me. I love you, ginger midget. GBFN (goodbye for now) X.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
1:07
Moments after Gibson murders teenage sister
During the trial, the court heard how Amber’s body was found covered in mud and the cause of death was “compression of the neck”.
Widespread blood staining on Gibson’s jacket was said to be compatible with Amber and his DNA was also found on her shorts, worn as underwear, which had been “forcibly torn” off.
Image: Amber’s body was discovered in Cadzow Glen in November 2021
Jurors heard from the siblings’ former foster father, Craig Niven, who testified the pair could not be left in each other’s company because they were “not a good mix”.
Mr Niven and his wife, Carol, had fostered the siblings since Amber was three and her brother was five. The couple were granted permanent care of the siblings a few years later.
Following the guilty verdicts, Mr and Mrs Niven described Amber as the “most giving, caring, loving, supportive and admirable person”.
The couple said: “She had the most amazing outlook on life considering the suffering she had experienced.”
Five months before her murder, Amber was raped by a man while she was asleep or unconscious at a property in Bothwell, South Lanarkshire.
Jamie Starrs, 20, was last month jailed for 10 years and six months for the attack on Amber and for raping another teenager.
Image: Jamie Starrs. Pic: Police Scotland
Mr and Mrs Niven also commented how they had listened to evidence in court over how the siblings had been “let down” throughout their lives by the care system.
They added: “As a family, we all feel this could have been prevented. We now have one daughter buried in Larkhall Cemetery and another child in prison. We really miss Amber – life will never be the same.”
An independent review into the care Amber received from authorities before she was murdered is set to be concluded in a move to determine whether lessons can be learned from the incident.
Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.
A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.
“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”
Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.
Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.
Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.
He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.
Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.
“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.
“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.
“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.
“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.
“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”
Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.
He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.
Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.
A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.
“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.