Connect with us

Published

on

A freeze to disability benefits will not go ahead following pressure from Labour backbench MPs, Sky News understands.

The government had been looking at freezing the personal independence payment (PIP) next year so it did not rise with inflation as part of a drive to cut down the ballooning welfare budget.

However, following pressure from Labour backbenchers over the past week, this has now been taken off the table, Sky News understands.

The proposal had been set to save about £5bn as Chancellor Rachel Reeves searches for savings after losing £9.9bn of fiscal headroom (the amount she could increase spending or cut taxes without breaking her fiscal rules) since the October budget due to a poor economy and geopolitical events.

Politics latest: Minister plays down level of rebellion

PIP is a payment of up to £9,000 a year for people with long-term physical and mental health conditions and disabilities to help with extra living costs.

However, the government is expected to make qualifying for PIP more difficult when Work and Pensions Secretary Liz Kendall reveals plans on Tuesday.

More on Benefits

Sky News’ deputy political editor Sam Coates, on the Politics At Sam and Anne’s podcast, said the Treasury is also expected to abolish the Work Capability Assessment, which determines whether someone is fit or not to work and to then receive disability payments.

The government has described the system as “dysfunctional” as those “not fit for work” do not receive employment support or further engagement after the assessment, which could lock them out of future work altogether.

Explainer: Which benefits could be cut?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Will there be a backlash over benefits?

Sir Keir Starmer has made cutting the welfare budget a key project as spending on sickness benefits soared to £65bn last year – a 25% increase since the year before the COVID pandemic – and is expected to rise to £100bn before the next general election in 2029.

The number of people in England and Wales claiming either sickness or disability benefit has soared from 2.8 million to about 4 million since 2019.

However, many Labour MPs are uncomfortable with cutting benefits for disabled people.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Streeting defends wanting to slash welfare benefits

Ms Kendall had been expected to announce welfare cut plans last week but this was delayed by displeasure from backbenchers, with the government taking the unusual step of asking all 404 Labour MPs to attend “welfare roundtables” in Downing Street last week.

Greater Manchester’s Labour mayor, Andy Burnham – a former health secretary – agreed the benefits system “needs a radical overhaul” but wrote in The Times: “I would share concerns about changing support and eligibility to benefits while leaving the current top-down system broadly in place. It would trap too many people in poverty.”

Will government follow through on tough talk despite backbench concerns?


Photo of Mhari Aurora

Mhari Aurora

Political correspondent

@MhariAurora

Tomorrow, the government will publish its plans to cut the welfare budget, but it’s the Labour benches that are likely to cause the most havoc.

This mini u-turn on freezing PIP will placate some Labour MPs nervous about the unintended consequences of the welfare crackdown and how it may affect disabled people.

On Sky News Breakfast today former Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell welcomed the news, and said he understood the pressures the Treasury was facing.

His muted tone could be an indication the government’s efforts to persuade backbenchers of the merits of the plan – by inviting them to Downing Street to speak their minds and be reassured the most vulnerable would be protected – is taking effect.

However, despite a relatively understanding tone from Mr McDonnell, he also warned Reeves’s plans may turn out to create more problems than it will solve in the long run.

Mr McDonnell accused the government of not understanding the world has changed, hinting the chancellor ought to follow Germany’s lead, break her fiscal rules and blame the policy pivot on unprecedented global events.

Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham also attacked the government’s plans to crack down on the benefits bill, but Treasury minister Emma Reynolds launched the fightback on Sky News Breakfast, insisting the government had a duty to reform the welfare system “according to our values”.

Reynolds argued there is dignity in work and that reforms were needed as “something has gone seriously wrong under the Tories”, arguing the cuts chime with Labour ideology.

And Health Secretary Wes Streeting – the self-proclaimed Tory whisperer – has hardened his rhetoric even further, claiming the over-diagnosing of mental health problems is in part to blame for the ballooning benefits bill.

This hardening of the government’s language is a clear attempt to talk tough, but will the government be able to follow through on the action the Treasury is desperate to see while many Labour backbenchers remain unconvinced Starmer has his priorities in the right order?

Read more:
Why Starmer’s backbenchers are deeply uncomfortable?
Streeting denies Labour turning into Tories over disability benefit cuts
UK and global economic forecasts slashed

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Labour faces criticism over welfare reforms

Treasury minister Emma Reynolds played down the level of discontent over plans to freeze PIP, as she told Sky News: “It is absolutely everyday business that we should have discussions with backbenchers, meetings between our MPs and ministers happen all day, every day.

“So this isn’t something that is any different, but we’re determined to strike the right balance here.”

She added there will “always be a safety net for the most vulnerable” and pointed out Labour created the welfare state in 1945, but it needs to be “more sustainable”.

Continue Reading

Politics

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

Published

on

By

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

Update (April 3, 5:43 am UTC): This article has been updated to add information on the STABLE Act and GENIUS Act.

The US House Financial Services Committee has passed a Republican-backed stablecoin framework bill, which will now head to the House floor for a full vote.

The Committee passed the Stablecoin Transparency and Accountability for a Better Ledger Economy, or STABLE Act, with a 32-17 vote on April 2, with six Democrats voting in favor.

The bill was introduced on Feb. 6 by committee Chair French Hill and the chair of its Digital Assets Subcommittee, Bryan Steil — reportedly drafted with the help of the world’s largest stablecoin issue, Tether.

US House committee passes stablecoin-regulating STABLE Act

Source: Financial Services GOP

The bill would provide rules around payment stablecoins, a crypto token tied to a currency such as the US dollar, and aims to ensure issuers give information about their business and how they back their tokens.

During an earlier markup session, the committee’s leading Democrat, Maxine Waters, who later voted against the bill, criticized her Republican peers for “setting an unacceptable and dangerous precedent” with the STABLE Act.

She said President Donald Trump could use the bill to allow his family’s stablecoin to be used in government payments, and argued the bill validates Trump “and his insiders’ efforts to write rules of the road that will enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else.”

In late March, the Trump family’s World Liberty Financial crypto venture launched a stablecoin, World Liberty Financial USD (USD1). Meanwhile, the US Housing Department, which oversees social housing, was reportedly looking to experiment with using stablecoins for some of its functions.

Stablecoin GENIUS Act also weaves through Congress 

Other stablecoin-related bills are also working their way through Congress, including the Republican-led Guiding and Establishing National Innovation for US Stablecoins, or GENIUS Act, which lays out oversight and reserve rules for issuers.

Related: Crypto has a regulatory capture problem in Washington — or does it?

The US Senate Banking Committee voted through the GENIUS Act in an 18-6 vote on March 13, after Senator Bill Hagerty, one of the bill’s co-sponsors, updated it following consultation with the Committee’s Democrats.

Before the vote, Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand said the updated GENIUS Act made “significant improvements to a number of important provisions” in areas such as consumer protections and authorized stablecoin issuers.

Both the STABLE Act and GENIUS Act will now wait until debate time on the floor of the House and Senate, respectively, before they head for a floor vote.

Crypto journalist Eleanor Terrett reported on X that two unnamed crypto lobbyists said there is likely to be “a coordinated push behind the scenes over the next few weeks to get the two bills to mirror each other, as there are still some differences between them.”

Doing so would “avoid having to set up a so-called conference committee which is formed so members from both chambers can negotiate to create a final version of the bill everyone agrees on,” she added.

Magazine: How crypto laws are changing across the world in 2025

Continue Reading

Politics

‘My lawyers are ready’ for questions about corruption claims, ex-minister tells Sky News

Published

on

By

'My lawyers are ready' for questions about corruption claims, ex-minister tells Sky News

Tulip Siddiq has told Sky News her “lawyers are ready” to handle any formal questions about allegations she is involved in corruption in Bangladesh.

Asked whether she regrets apparent links with the Bangladeshi Awami League political party, Ms Siddiq said “why don’t you look at my legal letter and see if I have any questions to answer… [the Bangladeshi authorities] have not once contacted me and I’m waiting to hear from them”.

The London MP resigned as a Treasury minister in January after being named in several corruption inquiries in Bangladesh.

In her first public comments since leaving government, Ms Siddiq said “there’s been allegations for months on end and no one has contacted me”.

Last month, the interim leader of Bangladesh told Sky News the MP had “wealth left behind” in the country “and should be made responsible”.

Lawyers acting for Ms Siddiq wrote to the Bangladeshi Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) several weeks ago saying the allegations were “false and vexatious”.

The letter said the ACC must put questions to Ms Siddiq “by no later than 25 March 2025” or “we shall presume that there are no legitimate questions to answer”.

More on Bangladesh

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Staff from the NCA visited Bangladesh as part of initial work to support the interim government in the country.

In a post online today, the former minister said the deadline had expired and the authorities had not replied.

Sky News has approached the Bangladeshi government for comment.

The allegations against Ms Siddiq are focused on links to her aunt Sheikh Hasina – who served as the prime minister of Bangladesh for 20 years.

Ms Hasina was forced to flee the country in August following weeks of deadly protests.

She is accused of becoming an autocrat, with politically-motivated arrests, extra-judicial killings and other abuses allegedly happening on her watch. Hasina claims it’s all a political witch hunt.

Electrocuted on their genitals and mouths sewn up: Inside Bangladesh’s ‘death squad’ jails

Ms Siddiq was found to have lived in several London properties that had links back to the Awami League political party that her aunt still leads.

She referred herself to the prime minister’s standards adviser Sir Laurie Magnus who said he had “not identified evidence of improprieties” but added it was “regrettable” Ms Siddiq had not been more alert to the “potential reputational risks” of the ties to her aunt.

Ms Siddiq said continuing in her role would be “a distraction” for the government but insisted she had done nothing wrong.

Continue Reading

Politics

Former New York governor advised OKX over $505M federal probe: Report

Published

on

By

Former New York governor advised OKX over 5M federal probe: Report

Former New York governor advised OKX over 5M federal probe: Report

Cryptocurrency exchange OKX reportedly hired former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to advise it over the federal probe that resulted in the firm pleading guilty to several violations and agreeing to pay $505 million in fines and penalties.

Cuomo, a New York-registered attorney, advised OKX on legal issues stemming from the probe sometime after August 2021 when he resigned as New York overnor, Bloomberg reported on April 2, citing people familiar with the matter.

“He spoke with company executives regularly and counseled them on how to respond to the criminal investigation,” Bloomberg said.

The Seychelles-based firm pled guilty to operating an unlicensed money-transmitting business in violation of US Anti-Money Laundering laws on Feb. 24 and agreed to pay $84 million worth of penalties while forfeiting $421 million worth of fees earned from mostly institutional clients.

The breaches occurred from 2018 to 2024 despite OKX having an official policy preventing US persons from transacting on its crypto exchange since 2017, the Department of Justice noted at the time.

A spokesperson for Cuomo, Rich Azzopardi, told Bloomberg that Cuomo has been providing private legal services representing individuals and corporations on a variety of matters since resigning as New York governor.

“He has not represented clients before a New York city or state agency and routinely recommends former colleagues for positions,”  Azzopardi added.

OKX reportedly wasn’t willing to comment on its relationships with outside firms.

Cuomo also influenced OKX to make executive appointments: Bloomberg

Cuomo, who is now running for mayor of New York City, also advised OKX to appoint his friend US Attorney Linda Lacewell to OKX’s board of directors, Bloomberg said.

Lacewell, a former superintendent of the New York Department of Financial Services, was added to the board in 2024 and was named OKX’s new chief legal officer on April 1, according to a recent company statement.

Former New York governor advised OKX over $505M federal probe: Report

Source: Linda Lacewell

Related: New York bill aims to protect crypto investors from memecoin rug pulls

After the investigation concluded, OKX said it would seek out a compliance consultant to remedy the issues stemming from the federal probe and bolster its regulatory compliance program.

“Our vision is to make OKX the gold standard of global compliance at scale across different markets and their respective regulatory bodies,” OKX CEO Star Xu said in a Feb. 24 X post.

Magazine: Financial nihilism in crypto is over — It’s time to dream big again

Continue Reading

Trending