Connect with us

Published

on

Parents can learn about the terms and language they can expect to hear in children’s films and TV shows in a new guide published by the British Board of Film Classification.

It comes as a survey carried out on behalf of the organisation showed that while most adults feel comfortable swearing or using strong language with friends, they do not in front of children, and do not want to hear more coarse or offensive words on screen.

The BBFC’s guide covers the U, PG and 12A/12 categories, and classifies words including f*** as strong language, and c*** as very strong.

Acronyms that refer to expletives – such as WTF (What the f***) – are classified as if they are the words in full.

BBFC chief executive David Austin said: “Children are watching more content on multiple screens, and their parents want to protect them from strong and very strong language wherever they can and for as long as possible.

“Parents told us they are keen for media industries to share the responsibility – and that’s where we come in.

“Very strong language retains an innate shock value, and for some remains the last taboo.”

More from Ents & Arts

In films categorised 12 or 12A there may be “moderate” bad language, the BBFC says on its website, and “strong language may be permitted, depending on the manner in which it is used, who is using the language, its frequency within the work as a whole and any special contextual justification”.

PG films should have “mild bad language only”, while U films can feature “infrequent use only of very mild bad language”.

Subscribe to the Backstage podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

The BBFC’s survey was commissioned to find out if parents would accept more frequent use of strong and very strong language in films watched by children and young teenagers.

Six in 10 respondents indicated that swearing is part of their daily life, with nearly a third (30%) saying they use strong language more than they did five years ago.

But six in 10 respondents also said that while they are comfortable using strong language with friends, they refrain from doing so if children can hear. Only one in five said they were comfortable swearing in front of children under 16 at home.

The research also suggested a generational divide when it comes to swearing, with nearly half (46%) of Generation Z respondents frequently using strong language daily, compared to only one in 10 (12%) of 55 to 64-year-olds and one in eight (12%) over-65s.

A quarter (25%) of 16 to 24-year-olds said they would never use strong language in public, compared to a majority of over-65s (75%), according to the results.

The research for the BBFC, carried out by Magenta, consisted of 76 participants who watched and reviewed films over 10 days, 17 online focus groups with a total of 66 participants, and an online survey of 1,000 adults aged 18 plus across the UK.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Wayne Lineker thanks friend for taking him to hospital after Ibiza incident

Published

on

By

Wayne Lineker thanks friend for taking him to hospital after Ibiza incident

Wayne Lineker has thanked a friend for taking him to hospital after a “disturbing” incident in Ibiza earlier this week, which left him with “stitches and a swollen lip” after he tried “to protect a girl from being harassed”.

The 62-year-old, who is the younger brother of former England footballer Gary Lineker, shared an Instagram story praising his pal after a video circulated earlier this week, showing him in an altercation outside a bar on the Spanish island in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

He was reported to have been knocked out for several minutes after being punched in the jaw by another man following a confrontation.

Wayne re-shared a photo showing him drinking a couple of raw juices and gave “very special thanks” to his friend, cafe owner Daniel Onions.

Wayne thanked him “for looking after me for many hours after the event took place, taking me [to] hospital, and making sure I got home safe and ok”.

Onions re-shared his post, commenting: “What friends are for”.

The Celebs Go Dating star later shared a short video on Instagram, with two of his resort employees joking with him that “sometimes, you’ve just got to take it on the chin”.

Proving the blow hadn’t knocked his sense of humour, Wayne annotated the video, writing: “Hahaha gotta see the funny side. Take it on the chin.”

Earlier this week, Wayne shared a photo showing him in sunglasses, and with a cut to the right side of his chin, giving a thumbs up, at his friend’s wellness cafe.

Wayne has his own businesses in Ibiza, and owns the beach resort O Beach on the island, and has other resorts on the Spanish mainland and in Majorca.

Read more from Sky News:
Tesla shareholders approve Elon Musk’s pay package
TikTok prankster Mizzy given community order

Wayne wrote: “I wanted to write this post to let everyone know that I’m doing ok… I have a few stitches and a swollen lip.

“It could have been much worse so I count myself very fortunate I wasn’t standing two yards further back, as my head would have impacted the wall.

“Obviously the video is very disturbing to see especially for my family.

“The papers were very accurate and it was a simple case of me just trying to protect a girl from being harassed.

“Thank you everyone for all your messages of concern the support has been really overwhelming.”

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

His nephew, and son of Gary Lineker, commented: “LOL: “Lowest of the low”.

Wayne is understood to be estranged from his brother and has previously said they no longer talk.

It’s not known if anyone has been arrested over the incident.

Sky News has contacted Wayne for further comment.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Taylor Swift travel warning issued for Cardiff ahead of Eras Tour performance

Published

on

By

Taylor Swift travel warning issued for Cardiff ahead of Eras Tour performance

Members of the public have been warned to plan their travel as Taylor Swift descends on Cardiff next week.

Thousands of her fans – known as Swifties – are expected to gather in the Welsh capital on Tuesday for the American singer’s Eras Tour.

Last week, the 34-year-old superstar took Edinburgh by storm.

Swift then performed in Liverpool on Thursday and will do two more concerts in the city on Friday and Saturday before arriving in Wales.

The UK leg of the tour will come to an end next week with performances at Wembley Stadium in London.

She will then go on to Ireland followed by a string of gigs in mainland Europe before further shows at Wembley in August.

Principality Stadium, best known as the home of Welsh rugby, will be transformed for the Cardiff event.

More on Cardiff

The council said it expects the M4 to be “very busy” due to the concert and has said the public should “plan ahead”.

The gates to the stadium are set to open at 4pm, but there will be a full road closure in the city centre from 12pm until midnight.

Cowbridge Road East, Castle Street and Duke Street will stay open until 3pm, the council confirmed.

A park and ride facility at Cardiff City Football Club will be in operation for those hoping to avoid congestion.

Read more:
Dancing Taylor Swift fans set off earthquake monitors
How Taylor Swift effect left mark on Edinburgh

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Transport for Wales are set to provide extra capacity on routes in and out of Cardiff on Tuesday.

But trains are also expected to be very busy with passengers urged to allow plenty of time for their journey.

After the event, there will be separate queues on Central Square for all lines, while the queues for the South Wales Valleys services will be at the rear of the station.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Latitude Festival cuts ties with sponsor Barclays after acts pull out

Published

on

By

Latitude Festival cuts ties with sponsor Barclays after acts pull out

Latitude Festival has dropped its sponsor, Barclays, after a number of musicians and comedians dropped out in protest over the bank’s ties to the Israel-Hamas war.

Latitude Festival told Sky News: “Following discussion with artists, we have agreed with Barclays that they will step back from sponsorship of Latitude Festival”.

Comedians Joanne McNally, Sophie Duker, Grace Campbell, and Alexandra Haddow all announced they would be boycotting the event last week.

Musicians including CMAT, Pillow Queens, Mui Zyu, and Georgia Ruth had also pulled out of the event.

Palestine Action, a group whose members attacked 20 of the bank branches across England and Scotland last week, has accused Barclays of having financial interests in both Israel’s weapons trade and fossil fuels.

Barclays says while it provides financial services to “public companies that supply defence products to NATO and its allies” it does not directly invest in the firms.

Pic: Palestine Action/X
Image:
Pic: Palestine Action/X

Taskmaster star McNally, who had been set to close the festival wrote in an Instagram story last week: “I’m getting messages today about me performing at Latitude when it’s being sponsored by Barclays.

“I’m not longer doing Latitude. I was due to close the comedy tent on the Sunday night, but I pulled out last week.

“I’m on the old artwork but I haven’t been listed on the site since I pulled out a week ago.”

Duker had shared a photo of her at a previous Latitude Festival, and confirmed she would be boycotting the event.

She wrote: “I am committed to minimising my complicity in what I consider to be a pattern of abhorrent, unlawful violence”.

The 34-year-old comedian also said her pro-Palestinian stance “has gained me violent abuse, targeted pile-ons and death threats”.

Fellow comedian Grace Campbell, who is the daughter of Sir Tony Blair’s former spokesman Alastair Campbell, shared Duker’s post in an Instagram story, announcing she was also pulling out of the festival.

Meanwhile, comedian Alexandra Haddow said she too would no longer appear, writing on Instagram: “I can’t in good conscience take the fee.”

In a post shared on her Instagram account last week, Irish singer-songwriter CMAT said: “I will not allow my precious work, my music, which I love so much, to get into bed with violence.”

Barclays has been approached for a comment.

In response to the exodus of acts, Barclays previously defended its position, saying it recognised “the profound human suffering” caused by the Israel-Hamas war.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

“We provide vital financial services to US, UK, and European public companies that supply defence products to NATO and its allies,” it said in a statement.

“Barclays does not directly invest in these companies. The defence sector is fundamental to our national security and the UK government has been clear that supporting defence companies is compatible with ESG considerations.

“Decisions on the implementation of arms embargos to other nations are the job of respective elected governments.”

Tens of thousands of people are expected to attend Latitude Festival at Henham Park in Suffolk, held from the 25-29 July.

Continue Reading

Trending