Denmark football captain Simon Kjaer has been hailed as a hero for his quick response to teammate Christian Eriksen’s collapse during their Euro 2020 opener against Finland.
The 29-year-old, who had no history of heart problems, was shielded from the television cameras by his distraught Denmark teammates as medical staff tried to resuscitate him on the touchline.
Skipper Kjaer was among the first to rush to Eriksen’s side when he went down and has been credited with playing a potentially life-saving role in the response – as well as for how he led the Danish players in forming the ring and comforted Eriksen’s distraught partner, who went on to the pitch.
“Captain and hero: Simon Kjaer,” said Sky Sports journalist Angelo Mangiante.
“Before the medics got there he secured his neck, cleared the airways and started CPR.
“Could have saved Eriksen’s life. Act of heroism.
“Kjaer trying to keep also Christian’s wife strong, is very emotional. What a man. So proud of you.”
Dr Philip Lee said that Kjaer had “saved his friend’s life”, and tweeted the 32-year-old to say: “Your leadership to the Danish team, your quick thinking, and your actions, are an example to us all.”
Former footballers are also among those to have praised Kjaer, who was said to have been left too overwhelmed to complete the match when it resumed later in the evening.
Finland went on to win the Group B fixture 1-0 via a 59th minute goal from Joel Pohjanpalo, who was restrained in his celebration in light of what had happened.
Speaking afterwards, Denmark coach Kasper Hjulmand: “Simon Kjaer was deeply, deeply touched. He was in doubt whether he could continue and gave it a shot, but ultimately he couldn’t. I completely understand that.”
Hjulmand – visibly drained at his post-match news conference – said UEFA didn’t put the players under any pressure to finish the match.
He added: “I completely understand that you can’t play a soccer match at this level after watching one of your best friends fight for his life.”
Kjaer plays his club football in the same city as Eriksen. The defender is with AC Milan, while Eriksen – who lit up the Premier League during his time with Spurs – is currently at rivals Inter.
Ex-Arsenal player Nico Yennaris said Kjaer “could possibly well have saved Eriksen’s life” on Saturday, but there are doubts over whether the midfielder will be able to play again.
Inter physician Piero Volpi told The Associated Press now was not the time to be making such assessments, adding Eriksen had never contracted COVID-19.
Simon Kjaer could possibly have well saved Erkisens life in the heat of the moment with his acts. Hats off to you 👏🏼 respect!
— Nico Yennaris (@Nico_Yennaris) June 12, 2021
After being shielded from view during his on-field treatment, Eriksen appeared conscious as he was taken away on a stretcher with an oxygen mask on.
He was given a standing ovation from the 16,000 fans in the stadium, who had been stunned into silence when the gravity of the situation became apparent.
As well as Kjaer, Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel – who plays for Leicester – and referee Anthony Taylor have also been singled out for praise.
Taylor, who referees in the Premier League, took seconds to halt play and call for medics.
Among those to highlight Taylor’s response were the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, who tweeted after it emerged that Eriksen was stable in hospital.
“Well done to the medical team and Anthony Taylor for their calm and swift action,” they said.
Encouraging news about Christian Eriksen, we are all thinking about him and his family. Well done to the medical team and Anthony Taylor for their calm and swift action. W
— The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (@KensingtonRoyal) June 12, 2021
The tweet was signed off by Prince William, who is president of the FA.
It’s not known if he’ll be at Wembley later when England begin their Euro 2020 campaign against Croatia. Both sides feature ex-Tottenham teammates of Eriksen, including respective captains Harry Kane and Luka Modric.
Kevin McCarthy: US House Speaker removed from office for first time in history
US House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has been removed from office after a historic challenge to his leadership from his own party.
The Republican faced a motion to vacate, which was triggered by Donald Trump ally Matt Gaetz on Monday, just months after securing the position in 15 rounds of voting.
It is the first time in the country’s history that House representatives have voted the Speaker out.
Behind closed doors early on Tuesday, Mr McCarthy told fellow Republicans: “If I counted how many times someone wanted to knock me out, I would have been gone a long time ago.”
Several Republicans, however, had said they were sticking with Mr McCarthy as they emerged from the meeting, during which they said he received standing ovations.
It follows a decision made by Mr McCarthy over the weekend to cooperate with the Democrats to keep the government running rather than risk a shutdown.
It is a move that angered Mr Gaetz and other far-right Republicans, as Mr McCarthy relied on Democratic votes to pass a temporary funding extension on Saturday that avoided a partial government shutdown.
A band of about 20 Republicans had forced Mr McCarthy’s hand by repeatedly blocking other legislation.
Mr Gaetz and his allies said they were frustrated by the slow pace of spending legislation on Mr McCarthy’s watch.
Republican Representative Tim Burchett, who said he would vote to oust Mr McCarthy, said: “We took a whole month of August off. I think that that’s pretty telling.”
Another day of history in US politics
It’s political pantomime, without the laughs.
To look at the House of Representatives is to see the turbulence of America’s political ecosystem.
The ousting of Kevin McCarthy leaves the lower chamber of Congress in a state of paralysis.
There will be an interim Speaker but his or her role will effectively amount to finding a permanent replacement.
It is a dysfunction at the heart of power, an extension of the fault lines that fracture the modern-day Republican Party.
Never before has a House Speaker been ejected in this way, another day of history in US politics
The history-makers at the wheel have travelled a distance from the party fringes to positions of influence.
Matt Gaetz is the high-profile House representative who tabled the motion to oust McCarthy.
He’s prominent amongst a hard-line conservative core of House Republicans, Trump-aligned, and bent on reshaping party traditions and reorientating its trajectory to the right.
It is a tail that can wag the dog and this episode is clear evidence of it.
The rules dictate that just one representative – Mr Gaetz in this case – can trigger a vote to oust the Speaker.
That arrangement was a deal Mr McCarthy struck in January to appease his party’s right wing and enable his accession to the position of Speaker.
It didn’t look like clever politics by Mr McCarthy at the time and it looks even less so today.
Today, politics are harder in a party whose politics have changed.
Not all are convinced by Mr Gaetz’s intentions, with some Republicans believing he is angling for a change at a higher office.
“It seems very personal with Matt. It doesn’t look like he’s looking out for the country or the institution,” Mr McCarthy said.
Mr Gaetz has denied he is spurred on by a dislike of Mr McCarthy.
‘Apocalyptic scene’ as coach crashes off overpass near Venice
At least 21 people have died in a coach crash near Venice in northern Italy, according to authorities.
Another 18 people were injured in the crash on Tuesday evening, with Italian police confirming there were tourists of “various nationalities” on board.
There were at least two children among the passengers, police added, while Venice’s mayor, Luigi Brugnaro, said they found Ukrainian passports at the scene.
“Several of the victims were foreigners, we found Ukrainian passports,” he said.
With rescue operations ongoing, the number of deaths could climb higher.
“The bus was rented for its guests by Camping Jolly in Marghera,” police said.
“On board, at the time of the accident, there were tourists of various nationalities. Also with them were at least two minors.”
Mr Brugnaro described the incident as a “terrible tragedy”.
“I immediately ordered the city to go into mourning, in memory of the many victims who were in the crashed bus,” he posted on social media.
“An apocalyptic scene, there are no words.”
The coach fell close to railway lines after veering off a road in the district of Mestre, which is connected to Venice by a bridge, Italian television and news agencies reported.
According to Sky Italia, 18 bodies have so far been dragged from the wreckage after the coach fell 15 metres (49ft) onto electricity lines and caught fire.
The cause of the accident was still unclear, but one of Italy’s national police forces said officers are on the scene to investigate and to “give aid” to those hurt.
The railway is also “currently interrupted”.
Italy’s prime minister, Giorgia Meloni, said her thoughts are with the victims.
“I express my deepest condolences, my personal and that of the entire government, for the serious accident that occurred in Mestre,” she posted on social media.
“My thoughts are with the victims and their families and friends. I am in close contact with the Mayor Luigi Brugnaro and with the Minister (of the interior) Matteo Piantedosi to follow the news on this tragedy.”
Italy has suffered a number of deadly bus crashes in recent years.
In 2013, 40 people died when a bus plunged off a viaduct in southern Italy in one of the country’s worst road accidents.
Four years later, 16 people on a bus carrying Hungarian students died in an accident near the northern city of Verona.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.
Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
Thailand: Boy, 14, arrested as three shot dead in Bangkok’s Siam Paragon Mall
A 14-year-old has been arrested after three people were shot dead in a Bangkok shopping centre.
Footage shows crowds fleeing the Siam Paragon Mall – a luxury complex in the Thai capital – while some hid inside.
Emergency services said three people had been killed and six wounded in the afternoon shooting.
The suspect is just 14 years old, according to police.
Photos show him pinned to the floor and being handcuffed and an officer picking up a gun.
One of the injured is reported to be a foreign national.
The teenager was cornered at nearby Siam Kempinski Hotel at around 5.10pm and surrendered without a struggle, Bangkok Post reported.
The central investigation bureau earlier shared a grainy image of him wearing a cap and khaki cargo trousers.
The local Siam train stop was closed and people prevented from leaving the station as emergency services responded.
Read more from Sky News:
Family wants answers over Briton’s death in Vietnam
First-ever space debris fine issued
Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin posted on X: “I am aware of the shooting event at Siam Paragon and have ordered the police to investigate. I am most worried about public safety,”
Authorities said later that the situation was under control.
In 2020, a disgruntled soldier killed at least 29 people and wounded 57 in a rampage in and around the city of Nakhon Ratchasima.
Sports11 months ago
‘Storybook stuff’: Inside the night Bryce Harper sent the Phillies to the World Series
Environment4 months ago
Japan and South Korea have a lot at stake in a free and open South China Sea
Sports6 months ago
MLB Rank 2023: Ranking baseball’s top 100 players
Sports2 years ago
Team Europe easily wins 4th straight Laver Cup
Technology2 years ago
Game consoles were once banned in China. Now Chinese developers want a slice of the $49 billion pie
Environment7 months ago
Game-changing Lectric XPedition launched as affordable electric cargo bike
Politics2 years ago
Have the last few wobbly weeks seen a turning point for Johnson as PM?
Business1 year ago
Bank of England’s extraordinary response to government policy is almost unthinkable | Ed Conway