With 40,000 people packing into Henham Park in Suffolk this weekend, Latitude festival is welcoming the largest crowds since most restrictions were lifted in England.
It is part of the government test scheme so everyone here has had to provide evidence of either a negative lateral flow test or double vaccination in order to gain entry.
And while the event’s famous pink sheep or the sheer amount of glittery outfits might seem strange to some, it’s the pop-up vaccination centre that stands out as unusual on-site.
Never before required, it’s busy as people can turn up for first jabs, or their second dose as long as they’re eight weeks on from their first.
“We’re trying to increase the uptake in the younger age cohort”, said Jawn Jiang, director of GM Graham Pharmacies which has brought the vaccination bus here, in collaboration with Norfolk Community Healthcare Trust and Norfolk and Waveney CCG.
“We’re assuming festival-goers will want to go back to nightclubs when they open – following the government announcement of the double jab requirement from September.”
He admits that while they’re currently getting lots of interest – most of the enquiries are planning to wait a couple of days before they take the plunge.
“People tend to want to get their jab towards the end of the festival as they don’t want to experience side effects or feel unwell while here.”
David from Huddersfield was among those that did take up the jab.
“I’d seen the buses had been at other places so I was hoping they would be here as well,” he said.
“It’s reassuring for work particularly, especially with the relaxation of the rules coming with the test and trace – being able to test daily rather than having to sit out for 10 days.”
COVID is also making its presence known when it comes to the line-up.
Two acts – Fontaines DC and Alfie Templeman – have had to drop out after getting positive test results.
Festival organiser Melvyn Benn says it’s a “shame” those acts won’t perform but that it was an eventuality he was prepared for.
“I think most of (the acts) are existing in a little bubble until they have managed to come and play”, he told Sky News.
“We did lose a couple but there were people standing by waiting to come and play, so we have managed to replace them.”
And the show is indeed going on, with maskless crowds making the most of their first festival in two years.
But it’s not possible to completely forget about the pandemic, with volunteers handing out boxes of lateral flow tests around the site, and hand sanitiser more plentiful than it’s ever been here before.
And with COVID-passports looking like they will become the norm later this year, it might be the first time that there’s been a walk-in vaccine centre at Latitude, but perhaps it won’t be the last.
Endgame: Publisher of book that appeared to name royal as racist ‘called journalist within one hour’ of his writing about it
A journalist who spotted that a new book appeared to name a royal at the centre of a racism row says he was called by the publisher within an hour of writing his article.
Rick Evers, who has been a royal correspondent in the Netherlands for 14 years, told Sky News he published an article with key claims made in Endgame at around midday on Tuesday.
By 1pm, he says the publisher had been in touch to ask him to delete the article over “legal problems” in the book, written by Omid Scobie, who some commentators have said is an ally of Harry and Meghan.
The book appeared to name two royals who the Sussexes claim raised concern over the skin colour of Meghan’s then-unborn son, Archie – but only in the version sold in the Netherlands.
Xander, the publishers of the Dutch translation, have put sales of the book on hold “temporarily” over what it calls an “error”.
“I think it took an hour for the publisher to phone me to ask me to delete the whole article and to get it offline, because there are some legal problems with it,” he said.
“And, of course, I was very curious – what was it? They couldn’t say it, because there were names mentioned.
“The only thing they had to say [was] that all of the books will be destroyed from the Dutch versions. So, there was something wrong.”
Mr Scobie’s book claims that Meghan wrote a letter to King Charles, who at the time was the Prince of Wales, expressing concern about unconscious bias in the Royal Family.
This came after the Duchess of Sussex claimed in her March 2021 interview with Oprah Winfrey that a member of the Royal Family raised “concerns” about Archie’s skin colour.
The version being sold in English-speaking countries does not name anyone, with Mr Scobie stating: “Laws in the United Kingdom prevent me from reporting who they were.”
But early readers in the Netherlands spotted the Dutch version names an individual.
Mr Evers – who says he did not realise the Dutch version was any different until after he had published an article – said he does not believe it is down to a “mistranslation”, as Mr Scobie has suggested.
“If you compare the Dutch version and the English version it is quite clear that there is just a paragraph missing,” he said.
“One of them is replaced by some kind of sentence that Omid is not allowed to say the names because of legal problems to mention them, so it’s very clear that something has been erased.”
He said he suspects the original manuscript was checked by a legal department, who told the publishers the name should “come out”.
“So, I think they sent it to all the translators all over the world, who were translating the manuscript, except for one country – the Netherlands,” he said, adding he does not believe the name was included on purpose.
Mr Evers said he was one of two journalists in the Netherlands to receive an advanced copy of the book – none in the UK did.
Mr Scobie told chat show RTL Boulevard he wrote the English version and “there was no version from me in which names were mentioned”.
Xander, the publishers, said the books are being withdrawn from sale – though Mr Evers says some copies can still be bought in shops.
“[We are] temporarily withdrawing the book by Omid Scobie from sale,” Xander said in a statement. “An error occurred in the Dutch translation and is currently being rectified.”
Harry and Meghan have always refused to reveal who they claim raised concerns about Archie’s skin colour before he was born, but they did clarify it was not Prince Philip or the late Queen.
Jamie Lynn Spears leaves I’m A Celebrity on medical grounds
Jamie Lynn Spears has become the second contestant to leave I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! on medical grounds.
She follows Grace Dent, whose departure was confirmed on Saturday. She told her fellow campmates that her “heart is broken” after leaving the programme early.
“Jamie Lynn Spears has left I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! on medical grounds,” the spokesperson said.
“She’s been a fantastic campmate who has triumphed at trials and bonded well with her fellow celebrities.”
Sky News understands the 32-year-old has now left the camp and her fellow campmates are aware that she won’t be returning.
Her last appearance on the show will be on Wednesday night’s episode.
Spears had threatened to quit last week after just a few days when she became emotional because she was missing her children.
During the episode on 21 November, she told her campmates she was finding it difficult to be so far away from her family.
Her emotions bubbled up further when four celebrities were tasked with a challenge to win the contestants’ luxury items, with hers being a photo of her two daughters.
Spears also appeared to use the camp phone – which normally only rings during challenges – in last night’s episode to try to call her family in the US.
During her time on the show, Spears also discussed her relationship with her sister Britney, who she said she had talked to before entering the jungle.
Spears revealed the pair had a “very complicated upbringing” which lead to them having issues with each other.
However, she added that she felt Britney would be “worried” about her in the jungle and believed she would be “checking in” regularly.
“She’s (Britney) a good big sister, she is,” Spears said. Yeah, I love her… Me and her throw down. The world’s seen that.
“I’ve learned to stop talking about it publicly, but you know what, families fight. Listen, we just do it better than most.”
Spears also discussed the challenges she faced after falling pregnant as a teenager while starring on TV series Zoey 101, and how she became Catholic after her daughter survived a freak accident where she nearly drowned in a family pond.
Other celebrities on this year’s show include former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, First Dates star Fred Sirieix and JLS singer Marvin Humes.
The show has so far attracted a lower audience than last year’s series, which featured former health secretary Matt Hancock.
This year’s launch was watched by seven million people in its first week – down from a consolidated audience of nearly 12 million last year.
Katy Ashworth: Former TV presenter ‘verbally and physically’ abused by former partner, High Court hears
Former children’s television presenter Katy Ashworth has accused her ex-partner of being verbally and physically abusive to her, including when she was pregnant, a court has heard.
A High Court judge concluded Ben Alcott, a television programme director based in Australia, poses an “obvious and continuing risk” to his partners.
Mrs Justice Arbuthnot made her findings after examining evidence at a private hearing in the Family Division of the High Court in London.
The pair had become embroiled in a dispute centred on a child, who lives with Ms Ashworth.
The judge said she had overseen a “fact-finding hearing” after she made a “number of allegations of domestic abuse” against Mr Alcott.
Mr Alcott “denies all the allegations” made by Ms Ashworth, who presented shows on the BBC childrens’ TV channel CBeebies.
Mrs Justice Arbuthnot said her findings were “likely to have a bearing” on future contact between Mr Alcott and the child.
The judge said the litigation began six years ago when Mr Alcott “applied for contact” with the child.
Ms Ashworth accused Mr Alcott of being “controlling, abusive, manipulative and coercive” and said the behaviour “escalated over the years”.
“The mother alleges that the father controlled her work, he would be verbally abusive to her and accused her of being paranoid and crazy,” the judge said in her ruling.
“He is said to have monitored the mother’s movements by installing spy software onto her computer and he was verbally and physically abusive to her at times including when she was pregnant.”
The judge added: “The mother says the father started a campaign within the media and ensured that Fathers For Justice worked to have the mother sacked by the BBC and organised protests outside the BBC against her.
“Another threat the mother alleges is that the father implied he was going to use naked photographs he had of her.”
The judge said she found Ms Ashworth to be “credible” and her evidence “compelling”.
There had been “numerous complaints of abuse” made to Australian police by other partners of Mr Alcott, the judge said.
“There was an abundance of evidence in relation to his abusive approach to women,” the judge added.
“This is not a man who is just assertive, stubborn and plain selfish, this is a man who is an obvious and continuing risk to his partners.”
Sports1 year ago
‘Storybook stuff’: Inside the night Bryce Harper sent the Phillies to the World Series
Sports8 months ago
MLB Rank 2023: Ranking baseball’s top 100 players
Environment6 months ago
Japan and South Korea have a lot at stake in a free and open South China Sea
Sports2 years ago
Team Europe easily wins 4th straight Laver Cup
Environment9 months ago
Game-changing Lectric XPedition launched as affordable electric cargo bike
Technology2 years ago
Game consoles were once banned in China. Now Chinese developers want a slice of the $49 billion pie
Politics2 years ago
Have the last few wobbly weeks seen a turning point for Johnson as PM?
Business1 year ago
Bank of England’s extraordinary response to government policy is almost unthinkable | Ed Conway