Cheap meals and discounted taxi rides: Firms to offer jab-linked incentives to help boost vaccine uptake
Discounted meals and cheaper cab rides will be offered to customers who get a COVID-19 jab, as part of a government-led attempt to boost the uptake of vaccines.
Uber, Bolt, Deliveroo and Pizza Pilgrims are among the brands that will offer incentives to encourage young people to get vaccinated.
Almost three million under-30s are yet to receive a first COVID vaccine dose.
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said taxi app firm Uber will be sending reminders to all users in August encouraging them to get jabbed.
The company will offer discounted journeys for young adults who receive a vaccine, as well as cheaper meals on its food delivery platform, Uber Eats.
Bolt, another ride-hailing app, will offer “free ride credit” to vaccination centres following a similar scheme earlier this year when it offered £250,000 worth of free rides to London vaccination facilities.
Deliveroo will give vouchers to young people who get jabbed.
A spokesman said: “We want to do our small part to support the NHS during the pandemic, including delivering a million free meals to frontline NHS staff and vaccine centres. This is the next step in helping people get vaccinated and safely back to normal.”
The DHSC said further details on partnerships will be released “in due course” and other incentives “could include vouchers or discount codes for people attending pop-up vaccine sites and booking though the NHS, social media competitions and promotional offers for restaurants”.
The government added: “Companies will not ask for or hold any health data for the incentive scheme.”
This means about 88.5% of adults had at least one jab, and 72.1% had two.
Currently, around 67% of 18 to 29-year-olds have had at least a single injection, according to the DHSC.
Health Secretary Sajid Javid thanked the businesses involved in vouchers scheme for “stepping up”.
Vaccines minister Nadhim Zahawi said there was “strong enthusiasm” among young people so far to get vaccinated, adding: “Please get your jabs as soon as you can and grab a bargain.”
Prince William calls for improved online safety after coroner’s ruling in Molly Russell death
Prince William has called for improved online safety for children after a coroner ruled social media contributed to the death of 14-year-old Molly Russell.
The Prince of Wales said: “No parent should ever have to endure what Ian Russell and his family have been through. They have been so incredibly brave. Online safety for our children and young people needs to be a prerequisite, not an afterthought.”
The schoolgirl from Harrow, northwest London, was found dead in her bedroom after viewing content related to suicide, depression and anxiety online.
Andrew Walker, the coroner, said he did not “think it would be safe” to give suicide as her cause of death, instead opting for self-harm.
Giving his findings on Friday, he said: “Molly was at a transition period in her young life which made certain elements of communication difficult.”
She was “exposed to material that may have influenced her in a negative way and, in addition, what had started as a depression had become a more serious depressive illness”, he told North London Coroners Court.
Man, 40, arrested in connection with murder of Olivia Pratt-Korbel
Detectives have made another arrest in connection with the murder of nine-year-old Olivia Pratt-Korbel in Liverpool.
The 40-year-old man from Dovecot was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender on Friday.
It comes a day after a 34-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of her murder.
The arrest of the 40-year-old is the eleventh arrest in the investigation so far. He remains in custody at a police station for questioning.
The nine other people arrested during the investigation have all been released on bail and no one has been charged.
Olivia was shot dead in Dovecot on 22 August after a gunman entered her home at around 10pm while chasing his intended target.
The girl was struck in the chest after the gunman opened fire, while her mother was injured after being hit in the wrist by the same bullet.
Suspected remains linked to Moors murders being investigated by police
Suspected human remains have been found in the search for the final victim of the Moors murderers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
The remains were found by an author who had been researching the murder of Keith Bennett, a 12-year-old boy who went missing in 1964 and whose body has never been found.
His findings were reported to Greater Manchester Police (GMP), which confirmed it was investigating.
Martin Bottomley, its review officer, said the author had “discovered what he believes are potential human remains in a remote location on the Moors”.
He met with officers on Thursday afternoon to take them to the site of interest, which was assessed that night.
“This morning, specialist officers have begun initial exploration activity,” Mr Bottomley said.
“It is far too early to be certain whether human remains have been discovered and this is expected to take some time.”
Keith’s surviving brother has been told about the investigation, the force said.
It could be a major breakthrough in a case that has been open since the early 1960s.
The final, undiscovered, victim
Brady and his accomplice Hindley sexually assaulted, tortured and murdered five children over two years in the 1960s.
She died in prison in 2002 and he in 2017.
The bodies of four of their victims were found buried on Saddleworth Moor in the south Pennines, but Keith’s remains have never been found.
He was taken on 16 June 1964 after going to visit his grandmother.
Brady and Hindley’s other victims were Pauline Reade, 16, who disappeared on her way to a disco on 12 July 1963; John Kilbride, 12, who was snatched in November the same year; Lesley Ann Downey, 10, who was lured away from a funfair on Boxing Day 1964; and Edward Evans, 17, who was axed to death in October 1965.
Brady confessed to Keith’s murder, but claimed he could not remember where he was buried.
He died at Ashworth High-Security Hospital in Merseyside, where he had been imprisoned since 1985.
48 years fighting for justice
Keith’s mother, Winnie Johnson, spent her life tirelessly fighting for justice and the right to give her son a Christian burial.
The former hospital worker and mother of nine died of bowel cancer in 2012 without knowing what had happened to him.
Mrs Johnson, who was a single mother, made a final plea to Brady in the weeks before her death to tell her where her son’s body was.
Speaking after her death, her friend Pam Ayres said: “She never gave up, I expect to her dying breath she wouldn’t have given up. Certainly, with every bit of her spirit and her will, she wouldn’t rescind that power to those people who took him.”
John Ainley, the lawyer for Keith’s brother, Alan, said he had spoken to him about the development.
“My client is keeping an open mind on the latest report having regard to earlier such reports that have raised expectations but not resulted in finding Keith’s body.
“Naturally, the family are hoping that Keith has been found after all these years and their tireless efforts to find closure.
“I understand Greater Manchester Police are investigating a site of interest but that it will take some weeks to establish whether there is a connection with Keith.”
World3 days ago
Labour MP Rupa Huq suspended and apologises after calling Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng ‘superficially’ black
Environment3 days ago
Watch Eviation’s all-electric Alice aircraft first flight
US3 days ago
‘Take this very seriously’: Florida warned over Hurricane Ian as fuel and food stockpiled
Sports3 days ago
In the heart of Texas, old Southwest Conference rivalries run deep. But for how long?
Environment3 days ago
Weather the storm with Anker’s 1,024Wh solar power station at $1,600 in New Green Deals
Technology3 days ago
A game about sheep is going viral in China even as gaming regulation remains tight
Business3 days ago
Kwasi Kwarteng to hold meeting with bankers as fallout from mini-budget continues
Business10 months ago
Deliveroo picks Goldman as broker despite US bank’s role on IPO flop