Connect with us

Published

on

Belarusian Olympic sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya has arrived at the Polish embassy in Tokyo after refusing to board a flight back to Minsk.

The 24-year-old was seen entering the building after spending the night at an airport hotel.

She said she was seized by officials from her own country on Sunday after she publicly complained about the national coaches and sought police protection.

Olympic officials later said she was “safe and secure”.

Krystsina Tsimanouskaya of Belarus reacts after competing in Heat 6 of the women's 100m at the Tokyo Olympics
Image:
The Olympian says she was seized by officials from her own country

Her arrival at the Polish embassy comes after France’s European affairs minister said it would be an “honour” if Europe were to grant Tsimanouskaya political asylum.

The Olympian said she was seized by officials from her own country on Sunday after she publicly complained about the national coaches.

She spent the night in an airport hotel after seeking the protection of Japanese police at Haneda airport.

More on Tokyo Olympics

Tsimanouskaya said in a filmed message distributed on social media that she was pressured by Belarus team officials so had asked the International Olympic Committee for help.

She said: “I was put under pressure and they are trying to forcibly take me out of the country without my consent.”

Tsimanouskaya had been due to compete in the women’s 200 metres and the 4×400 metres relay at the Tokyo Olympics this week.

But she criticised team officials on her Instagram account, saying she was put in the relay despite never having raced in the event before.

Belarusian athlete Krystsina Tsimanouskaya says she has been taken to Tokyo Airport against her will
Image:
Belarusian athlete Krystsina Tsimanouskaya says she has been taken to Tokyo Airport against her will

She had also claimed some members of her team were judged ineligible to compete because they had not undergone enough doping tests.

Coaching staff went to Tsimanouskaya’s room and told her to pack as a response to what she had said, she claimed.

When she arrived at the airport, she summoned Japanese police and refused to board the flight to Minsk via Istanbul.

An activist group supporting Tsimanouskaya said she believed her life was in danger in Belarus and she would seek asylum with the Austrian Embassy in Tokyo.

A spokesman for the Japanese government, Katsunobu Kato, told reporters that Japan was cooperating with other organisations “to take appropriate measures,” and confirmed the sprinter was safe.

The Belarusian Sport Solidarity Foundation (BSSF) said Tsimanouskaya contacted them for help over fears she would be deported to Minsk after government supporters targeted her.

“The campaign was quite serious and that was a clear signal that her life would be in danger in Belarus,” BSSF spokesman Alexander Opeikin said.

Continue Reading

World

Sir Keir Starmer to pledge ‘biggest ever’ transfer of power as Labour report outlines sweeping reform plans

Published

on

By

Sir Keir Starmer to pledge 'biggest ever' transfer of power as Labour report outlines sweeping reform plans

Sir Keir Starmer will promise the “biggest ever transfer of power from Westminster to the British people”, as the Labour leader launches a report recommending handing new economic, taxation and law-making powers to mayors and devolved governments.

The report on the UK’s future, carried out by former prime minister Gordon Brown, also recommends sweeping constitutional reform in an attempt to “clean up politics”.

It includes replacing the House of Lords with a democratic chamber, banning almost all second jobs for MPs, and moving 50,000 civil servants – 10% of the workforce – out of London.

The decentralisation of power and money away from Westminster will be pitched as a continuation of Tony Blair’s reforms and Labour’s answer to the Tories’ levelling up agenda – as Sir Keir looks to pitch himself as a prime minister-in-waiting with a serious plan for Britain.

But the Labour leader will not accept any of the recommendations on Monday when he launches the report, arguing instead that they will now be consulted on, raising obvious questions as to whether policy proposals will match the rhetoric should Labour win the next election.

However, a source close to the Labour leader insisted that Sir Keir wouldn’t have let recommendations reach the final report if he wasn’t minded on implementing them.

He described the report as a “blueprint” to address these issues and “work out where to go in the next two years”.

“We’re serious about implementation,” said a Labour figure.

“This is methodical, Keir Starmer working through how you pull the levers.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘We have to make Brexit work’

What else is in Starmer’s plan?

Labour’s view is that George Osborne’s Northern Powerhouse or Boris Johnson’s levelling up agenda were the right ambition but failed to grasp that it only works if power is devolved away from Westminster, rather than handing out pots of money from London.

As such, one key recommendation of the commission will be to end the system of distributing funds from Whitehall, with money instead being devolved to local areas to make those decisions.

Within the 40 recommendations in the report are plans to give devolved governments, mayors and local authorities new powers over transport and housing, economic development and job creation.

Sir Keir also wants to develop 300 “economic clusters” around the country – from precision medicine in Glasgow to creative media in Bristol and Bath – with the aim of doubling growth in the UK.

The report, commissioned by Sir Keir two years ago, will also recommend transferring 50,000 civil servants – just over 10% of the current workforce – out of Whitehall in order to devolve decision-making and jobs out of London.

Sir Keir also wants to “clean up” politics and bring in reform.

As such, he’s likely to back proposals to end MPs from having second jobs and introduce new rules to “end the undue influence of wealth and foreign money” in politics.

Read more:
Tories should be extremely worried by swing in Chester by-election
Sir Keir’s dig over private school tax stirs up hornet’s nest that could leave him stung

The Labour leader also wants to “get rid of the indefensible House of Lords” with the report recommending a new, democratically elected second chamber to represent the regions and nations of the UK.

However, the Labour leader has suggested he might not be able to do this until Labour wins a second term, raising questions as to whether such a commitment would appear in the next Labour manifesto.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

‘Government is worn out’

Speaking at the launch of this report in Leeds on Monday, Sir Keir is expected to say that the “centre hasn’t delivered” as he pledges to “rebalance the economy and bring about higher standards in public life”.

The Labour leader will also frame this report as a response to both the Brexit and Scottish independence referendums.

“I argued for remain. But I couldn’t disagree with the basic case that many leave voters made to me. They wanted democratic control over their lives,” Sir Keir will say, arguing these frustrations of “a Westminster system that seems remote” was also a drive for the 2014 independence referendum.

“People know Britain needs change. But they are never going to get it from the Tories.

“I am determined that, with Labour, people will get the change they deserve.”

Continue Reading

World

Iran morality police behind detention of Mahsa Amini ‘shut down’, official says

Published

on

By

Iran morality police behind detention of Mahsa Amini 'shut down', official says

Iran’s attorney general has said the morality police, the force which detained Mahsa Amini and enforces the country’s dress code has been “closed”.

Mohammad Jafar Montazeri was cited by the Iranian Labour News Agency saying that the force had been disbanded.

Iran’s Interior Ministry, which is the authority in charge of the morality police, has yet to comment on the status of the force.

Mr Montazeri was quoted saying: “The same authority which has established this police has shut it down”, adding that the morality police was not under the judiciary’s authority, which “continues to monitor behavioural actions at the community level”.

The morality police was sanctioned by the UK following the death of Ms Amini, 22, who died in police custody after she was detained for allegedly not properly covering her hair with a headscarf – known as the hijab – which is mandatory for Iranian women.

The force has also gained criticism for its violent crackdown on the subsequent nationwide protests following Ms Amini’s death.

The activist HRANA news agency said 470 protesters had been killed as of Saturday, including 64 minors. It said 18,210 demonstrators were arrested and 61 members of the security forces were killed.

Protest in Tehran in September. Pic: WANA/Reuters
Image:
Protest in Tehran in September. Pic: WANA/Reuters

Iranian actresses, activists and protesters have posted pictures without wearing the hijab in solidarity with the anti-government demonstrations.

On Sunday, protesters called for a three-day strike this week as they seek to maintain pressure on authorities over Ms Amini’s death.

Protests are planned on the day President Ebrahim Raisi is due to address students at Tehran University on Wednesday.

Nasibe Samsaei, an Iranian woman living in Turkey, cuts her hair during a protest following the death of Mahsa Amini, outside the Iranian consulate in Istanbul, Turkey September 21, 2022. REUTERS/Murad Sezer
Image:
Nasibe Samsaei, an Iranian woman living in Turkey, cuts her hair during a protest in Istanbul

Iran says reviewing mandatory headscarf law

Following the widespread unrest, Mr Montazeri said Iran is reviewing the law that requires women to cover their heads.

Quoted by the ISNA news agency, Mr Montazeri said: “We are working quickly on the issue of hijab and we are doing our best to use a wise solution to deal with this phenomenon that hurts everyone’s heart.”

He added that a meeting has been held with the parliament’s cultural commission and results will be seen “within the next week or two”.

Top Iranian officials have repeatedly said Tehran would not change the Islamic Republic’s mandatory hijab policy, which
requires women to dress modestly and wear headscarves.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Iranian climber ‘forgot’ hijab

Elnaz Rekabi’s family home destroyed

In Iran, the family home of female Iranian rock climber Elnaz Rekabi, who competed abroad without wearing a hijab, has been demolished.

Iran’s official judiciary news agency, Mizan, said on Saturday that the destruction of her brother’s home was due to its ”unauthorised construction and use of land” and took place months before the climber competed at an international rock climbing competition in South Korea.

Read more:
Iran’s full jails mean arrested women are being held in houses
‘Conditions in our country are not right’ Iran player says

However, anti-government activists say the demolition was targeted. Iranian authorities have not publicly confirmed the demolition.

The 33-year-old did not wear a mandatory headscarf required of female athletes from the Islamic Republic at a competition in October. A later Instagram post attributed to the athlete, described her appearance without a hijab as accidental – although it was not clear whether she wrote it.

The Iranian government routinely pressures activists at home and abroad, often airing what rights groups describe as coerced confessions on state television.

Continue Reading

World

World Cup 2022: Olivier Giroud and Kylian Mbappe both break records as France reach quarter-finals

Published

on

By

World Cup 2022: Olivier Giroud and Kylian Mbappe both break records as France reach quarter-finals

France await the winner of England’s World Cup last-16 clash with Senegal after strikers Olivier Giroud and Kylian Mbappe both broke scoring records in a comfortable 3-1 win over Poland.

The reigning World Cup champions claimed victory as Giroud made history by becoming France’s all-time top goalscorer during the match at Al Thumama Stadium in Qatar.

World Cup 2022: Follow live updates from last-16 matches

Giroud entered the record books with 52 goals after hitting the back of the net at the end of the first half.

The 36-year-old previously drew level with fellow ex-Arsenal striker Thierry Henry – who held the record of 51 goals – after netting a double in France’s 4-1 win against Australia in their opening Group D game.

Oliver Giroud sticks his tongue out as France claims a second goal, scored by Kylian Mbappe
Image:
Giroud (right) sticks his tongue out as France claim a second goal, scored by Mbappe

Mbappe scored the other two goals, becoming the first player to score eight – and then nine – World Cup goals before their 24th birthday.

His first of the night came in the second half at 73 minutes, before striking gold again in the 91st.

More on World Cup 2022

Poland’s Robert Lewandowski clawed back a stoppage-time consolation from the penalty spot to end the game 3-1.

Now all eyes are on the Al Bayt Stadium as Group B winners England come face to face with Senegal for their first knockout match on the world stage since the agonising extra-time semi-final defeat to Croatia in 2018.

The game is set to kick off at 7pm GMT.

Continue Reading

Trending