The Swiss government is to hold a news conference after reports of UBS agreeing to buy the embattled Credit Suisse for more than $2bn.
The Financial Times reported on Sunday that a deal had been agreed after UBS upped its offer – however, both UBS and Credit Suisse declined to comment on the reports.
The potential emergency rescue comes after authorities raced over the weekend to secure the future of the 167-year-old bank, which is among the world’s largest wealth managers, in a move hoped to contain the industry’s biggest crisis since 2008 and avoid global market turmoil.
It would be the most significant global banking merger since the financial meltdown of 15 years ago.
It follows reports Credit Suisse had been resisting an offer from its bigger rival of up to $1bn, believing it to be too low and that it would hurt shareholders and employees who hold deferred stock.
As one of 30 global banks seen as systemically important, any deal for Credit Suisse could have major repercussions for
As a last resort, Swiss authorities have reportedly considered a full or partial nationalisation of the bank.
As revealed by Sky News, the Bank of England is understood to have given its approval to the rescue deal earlier on Sunday.
Credit Suisse has been brought to the brink of financial collapse despite securing a $54bn (£44bn) credit line from Switzerland’s central bank several days ago.
The move, which was designed to reassure markets and depositors, failed to halt a rush of customer withdrawals, prompting a request from the Swiss government for UBS to explore a takeover.
Although Credit Suisse has a market capitalisation of just $8bn (£6.6bn) – down from close to $100bn (£82bn) at its 2007 peak – fears for its future had sent shockwaves through financial markets across the world.
Its vast investment bank balance sheet was reported to have been a stumbling block in the talks with UBS.
City sources said authorities in the US had pressed the Swiss government to expedite a solution to the crisis during the course of this weekend.
Silicon Valley Bank UK arm hands out £15m in bonuses days after £1 rescue
‘We are not out of the woods’: Markets uncertain after turbulent week
Group of major US banks ride to $30bn rescue of troubled First Republic
Reports suggested UBS wants the Swiss government to provide a multibillion dollar backstop to insure it against losses arising from the takeover of the smaller bank.
The current tumult in the global banking sector was sparked by the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank in the US earlier this month.
Hopes takeover will avert contagion
Its UK branch was rescued by HSBC for £1, but a number of other mid-sized American lenders have also been forced to seek emergency funding.
There are hopes the takeover of Credit Suisse will avert the kind of contagion witnessed during crisis of 2008, when banks including Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers collapsed.
Credit Suisse employs approximately 5,000 people in the UK, making it one of the largest investment banking employers in the City.
Tesco Clubcard changes: Supermarket to cut value of rewards scheme
Tesco is cutting the value of its Clubcard rewards scheme, with customers no longer able to get triple their value when they cash them in with scheme partners.
The Tesco Clubcard reward partner scheme lets customers collect points while shopping and exchange them for vouchers for theme parks, restaurants and day trips.
Points used to be worth triple their value when they were exchanged – but from June will only be worth double.
The change will kick in on 14 June.
In a statement, Tesco said it was making the change “to make sure we can continue to provide a wide range of rewards that meet the needs of all our Tesco Clubcard members, while keeping prices low for everyone”.
But some Tesco customers expressed their outrage online given the context of the cost of living crisis.
One person tweeted: “Absolutely disgraceful from Tesco at a time when people are struggling enough with high prices and costs. More important to think of the profits I guess.”
The shops which could cost you an extra £800 a year
One Tesco customer said this could spell the end of their loyalty: “Main reason I hadn’t switched to Aldi or Lidl was because we use points for family meals out etc…one step closer to ditching Tesco now!”
Another was more measured in their response: “Card benefits used to be much, MUCH better – but still worthwhile.”
Tesco said it was extending the time period when partner rewards would be valid to 12 months, so any points cashed in for triple their value before 13 June can be used for a year.
In November, two million Tesco customers had Clubcard vouchers worth £13m that were due to expire.
If all those customers had cashed them in using the rewards scheme, the total savings would have totalled £39m.
MPs describe Stormont brake aspect of Windsor Framework as ‘practically useless’
A group of Eurosceptic MPs has described the Stormont brake – a key part of Rishi Sunak’s renegotiated Brexit deal – “practically useless”.
Mark Francois, chairman of the European Research Group (ERG), spoke after the group commissioned its “star chamber” of legal experts to pore over the Windsor Framework, the UK’s deal with the EU on post-Brexit arrangements when it comes to Northern Ireland.
Mr Francois said that among its initial findings were that EU law was “supreme” in Northern Ireland and that the rights of its people secured in the 1800 Act of Union had still not been restored.
Boris Johnson’s partygate defence revealed
And in his harshest criticism, he said the Stormont brake – the mechanism that would allow a minority of politicians in Belfast to formally flag concerns about the imposition of new EU laws in Northern Ireland – was “practically useless”.
However, he said the ERG would meet again on Wednesday before deciding its approach to a Commons vote on the brake scheduled to take place on the same day.
The ERG’s criticisms of the Windsor Framework will be a blow to the prime minister, who had been hoping to secure widespread approval for his Brexit deal.
While Mr Sunak does not need the votes of the DUP and ERG to get the legislation through parliament, he will not want to rely on Labour’s approval and will be looking to limit the size of any potential Tory rebellion.
The ERG’s preliminary verdict comes as little surprise after the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) confirmed it would vote against the Stormont brake in the Commons vote.
In a statement on Monday, DUP leader Sir Jeffrey Donaldson said while the Windsor Framework represented “significant progress” in addressing concerns with the Northern Ireland Protocol, it did not deal with some of the “fundamental problems at the heart of our current difficulties”.
Sir Jeffrey said the brake “is not designed for, and therefore cannot apply, to the EU law which is already in place and for which no consent has been given for its application”.
“Whilst representing real progress, the ‘brake’ does not deal with the fundamental issue which is the imposition of EU law by the protocol,” he added.
The NI protocol was agreed as part of Boris Johnson’s “oven ready” Brexit deal and was designed to prevent a hard border in the interests of preserving the peace secured in the Good Friday Agreement.
But the protocol has led to unhappiness in the DUP, who say it has created trade barriers between Great Britain and Northern Ireland and undermined its place in the UK.
Last February the DUP pulled out of the arrangement for devolved government in Northern Ireland in protest at the protocol, effectively leaving the region without government.
DUP and Tory MP to vote against key part of Windsor Framework over ‘fundamental problems’
MPs to debate ‘Stormont brake’ as key part of new Brexit deal comes to the Commons
The UK and Brussels agreed the Windsor Framework as a way to incentivise the return of power-sharing in Northern Ireland and to allay some of the key concerns of Unionists.
Under the agreement there will now be a green lane for goods that are destined for Northern Ireland will no longer be subject to time-consuming paperwork, checks and duties.
But Mr Francois said that the green lane “is not really a green lane at all”.
The prime minister’s official spokesperson said on Tuesday that the Windsor Agreement was a “good deal” for the people of Northern Ireland that went “significantly beyond” the previous protocol.
The spokesperson said the Stormont Brake was a “significant step change in what had previously been agreed” and that it had dealt with the “democratic deficit” flagged by the DUP, whereby EU laws apply in Northern Ireland without the influence of politicians in Stormont.
The Stormont Brake remains the “only avenue” to change Northern Ireland’s status as being automatically aligned to EU rules, they added.
“A vote against the brake, in factual terms, would lead to automatic alignment with the EU with no say at all,” the spokesman said.
Just Eat to axe around 1,700 delivery worker jobs
Delivery giant Just Eat has announced it is to axe 1,700 jobs as it ceases to employ its delivery riders and drivers.
Instead it will use gig economy workers to deliver food in the UK, as opposed to the hybrid system of employees and self-employed workers, despite strong comments by the chief executive against the gig economy.
A further 170 people working in Just Eat’s operational department are also impacted.
Delivery employees have been given six weeks’ notice with pay and it is understood office staff will begin a process of redundancy and may be moved to other parts of the business.
While the company could not provide Sky News with the number of delivery riders and drivers it uses in the UK, it did say employees were only a small part of overall delivery operations and only operated in certain parts of six UK cities.
The employment model was rolled out in London in December 2020 and Just Eat became the first food delivery aggregator in the UK to employ delivery people.
Company chief executive Jitse Groen said in February 2021 that the gig economy “has led to precarious working conditions across Europe, the worst seen in a hundred years”.
“The gig economy comes at the expense of society and workers themselves,” he wrote in the Financial Times while listing company plans to employ delivery workers.
Just Eat Takeaway.com said the employee model will continue in Europe.
However, delivery riders and drivers are not employed in all of the company’s European markets. None are employed in Slovakia and Ireland.
The job cuts come after the company saw a 9% slump in customer numbers last year as diners returned to pubs and restaurants.
“Just Eat UK is reorganising and simplifying its delivery operation as part of the ongoing goal of improving efficiency,” a spokesperson said.
“There will be no impact to the service provided to partners and customers.”
Just Eat Takeaway.com is the largest food online ordering and delivery service in Europe. It had been the largest outside China after the purchase of Grubhub in June 2020 but has since sold parts of the business.
Technology2 years ago
Game consoles were once banned in China. Now Chinese developers want a slice of the $49 billion pie
Politics1 year ago
Have the last few wobbly weeks seen a turning point for Johnson as PM?
Sports5 months ago
‘Storybook stuff’: Inside the night Bryce Harper sent the Phillies to the World Series
Sports1 year ago
Team Europe easily wins 4th straight Laver Cup
Politics1 year ago
Yvette Cooper promoted and Lisa Nandy to shadow Gove on levelling up brief in Labour reshuffle
Business6 months ago
Liz Truss’s ‘favourite’ economist says chancellor ‘took his eye off ball’ and ‘overstepped the mark’ with mini-budget
Politics1 year ago
Govt minister says she ‘doesn’t believe’ Stanley Johnson inappropriately touched MP
Videos6 months ago
World leaders come together for Queen Elizabeth’s funeral