Connect with us

Published

on

Michigan has promoted quarterbacks coach Kirk Campbell to offensive coordinator under new coach Sherrone Moore.

Campbell, 37, will replace Moore in the role while continuing to work with the Wolverines quarterbacks, the school said Friday. He was elevated from an analyst role to oversee quarterbacks after Michigan fired co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss in January 2023 amid an investigation into possible computer access crimes at the team’s offices.

Though Campbell’s promotion had been anticipated, it was unclear whether he might follow former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh to the NFL’s Los Angeles Chargers, according to sources.

Last season, Campbell helped quarterback J.J. McCarthy win Big Ten Quarterback of the Year honors and become a first-team all-league selection as Michigan won its first national championship since 1997. Before joining Michigan’s staff in 2022, Campbell served as offensive coordinator at Old Dominion during the 2021 season. The former Mercyhurst player from Pittsburgh also spent three years as an offensive analyst at Penn State.

247 Sports first reported Campbell’s expected promotion.

Michigan also moved tight ends coach Grant Newsome to oversee the offensive line. Moore has coached Michigan’s line since 2021 in addition to serving as a coordinator.

“Kirk and Grant are two bright offensive minds,” Moore said. “They have brought a lot to our offensive staff and will make even larger contributions in their new roles. I am excited to have Kirk and Grant take on greater responsibilities in our offense as they continue working with our players to help further their development on and off the field.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Vogelbach’s slow HR trot draws ire of Yanks’ Cole

Published

on

By

Vogelbach's slow HR trot draws ire of Yanks' Cole

TAMPA — Having Gerrit Cole walk off the mound mid at-bat in the first inning would usually mean disaster for the New York Yankees. But spring training is different.

Cole, making his spring debut Friday night, gave up a two-run home run and a triple before manager Aaron Boone pulled him during a 1-2 count six batters into the Yankees’ 8-4 win over the Toronto Blue Jays.

But the Yankees’ ace reappeared in the second inning — that’s allowed in spring training — to smoothly complete his workday, retiring the side in order and facing two more hitters in the third inning. In all, he allowed two earned runs on four hits across the two-plus innings. He threw 39 pitches.

“I’m executing the way I want to execute there,” Cole said.

The only issue Cole had Friday had nothing to do with his own performance. It was with Blue Jays designated hitter Daniel Vogelbach, who punctuated his two-run blast off Cole in the first inning with a bat flip and trot that bothered the right-hander.

“What’s the day?” Cole said. “Are we still in February? March 1st? Yeah, he enjoyed that homer.”

Asked if he would remember Vogelbach’s enjoyment, Cole replied: “I don’t forget a lot of things.”

Cole, 33, was one of the few bright spots during the Yankees’ disappointing 2023 season. The right-hander went 15-4 with a 2.63 ERA in 209 innings across 33 starts. The performance earned him his first Cy Young Award.

This year, he tops a starting rotation with a few question marks. Friday was a solid start even if he didn’t finish the first inning.

“It was good to be out there again,” Cole said, “and yeah, the stuff was pretty good.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Sources: Giants, 3B Chapman agree on $54M deal

Published

on

By

Sources: Giants, 3B Chapman agree on M deal

Matt Chapman, regarded as one of the best defensive infielders in baseball, agreed to a three-year, $54 million contract with the San Francisco Giants, sources confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

The deal also includes opt-outs after the first and second year of the agreement.

Chapman’s deal is very similar in structure to that of Cody Bellinger, who re-signed with the Chicago Cubs last week, with his highest salaries at the outset of the contract. Like Bellinger, Chapman also has the built-in opportunity to test the market again if he has a better season offensively than in 2023.

Chapman, who turns 31 in April, won his fourth Gold Glove Award in 2023 with the Toronto Blue Jays. Since the start of the 2018 season, he ranks first among all players at that position in defensive runs saved and he is third in outs above average.

As Chapman moved into free agency this fall, however, some talent evaluators privately expressed doubts about their interest in him because of his offensive performance — 71 homers over the past three seasons, but with a .226 batting average and 537 strikeouts in 446 games.

His 2023 season was a microcosm of the good and bad he’s generated at the plate: After starting very well and batting .384 in April, he flatlined, generating a .205/.298/.361 slash line the rest of the way. Evaluators noted his trouble against fastballs.

The Giants have had difficulty signing high-end free agents in recent winters, with their overtures to Aaron Judge and others turned down. The addition of Chapman should complement what is expected to be a good pitching staff — including sinkerballer Logan Webb.

The New York Post first reported Chapman’s deal with the Giants.

Continue Reading

Sports

Rodon allows 4 HRs vs. prospects in sim game

Published

on

By

Rodon allows 4 HRs vs. prospects in sim game

New York Yankees left-hander Carlos Rodon allowed four homers to minor leaguers over three innings during a simulated game with the wind blowing out in Florida on Friday.

“I don’t want to give up homers, but I’m glad I give it up to our guys,” Rodon said. “Makes them feel good about themselves.”

Josh Breaux, Agustin Ramirez, Ben Rice and Jose Rojas went deep. After Rojas’ homer in the final inning, Rodon struck out three of his final four batters, including top prospect Spencer Jones twice.

“I had some sequences there at the end,” Rodon said. “Got some work on curveballs and work on the cutter, so it’s good.”

While the outing wasn’t great, Rodon feels healthy and that’s most important after an injury-marred 2023 where he went 3-8 with a 6.85 ERA in 14 starts.

Rodon, 31, is in the second year of a six-year, $162 million contract he signed with the Yankees last winter.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Continue Reading

Trending