ORLANDO, Fla. — Miami athletics director Dan Radakovich said Sunday the College Football Playoff selection committee might need to revisit whether it releases a ranking the week of conference championship games.
Speaking to ESPN at a Pop-Tarts Bowl media event ahead of the Hurricanes’ matchup against Iowa State, Radakovich noted how difficult it was for his players in the days after the Dec. 3 rankings, which had Miami (10-2) behind Alabama (9-3) at No. 12 and on the outside looking in. The situation was compounded when committee chair Warde Manuel said teams that were not playing in conference title games were “locked in” and would not be reevaluated.
“It was a really, really difficult four or five days for the players, both at Alabama, at our place,” Radakovich said. “SMU loses, what are they in the middle of at that point in time? The NCAA basketball tournament, there’s some parallels to it, but you’re either going to be in or you’re going to be out when it’s all unveiled, right? Sometimes, that’s a better way.”
Lt. Gen. Richard Clark, the CFP executive director, said during a Sports Business Journal Intercollegiate Athletics Forum panel last week in Las Vegas that he did not think six rankings were too many — echoing comments Manuel made after the final rankings release.
“I think it’s good for the game. I think it gives people a sense of how we see teams from that eighth week on,” Manuel said.
Radakovich, who served on the first CFP selection committee in 2014 while AD at Clemson, said he has talked to others about revising the rankings release schedule just for the penultimate week.
“They’ll do a ranking before Thanksgiving. You probably just let that stand, and then you have the championship games, and then the committee gets together that weekend and they make their final rankings,” Radakovich said. “Because if you’re close and you aren’t playing, you can’t do anything and if there are other people that you’ve played along the way that are playing, maybe that changes your strength of schedule, it changes some other things. So I think as you get closer to the end, I think that would just be a good idea to say, ‘Maybe we’ll just leave that one off to the side.'”
Radakovich said it was “unusual” that Manuel said teams were locked in after the penultimate rankings release but, “If that’s what they were looking at, that’s why I come back with, ‘Don’t do a ranking.'”
Miami finished No. 13 in the final ranking, behind Alabama and Big 12 champion Arizona State. The Hurricanes will play Iowa State on Dec. 28 in the Pop-Tarts Bowl in Orlando, Fla., with a chance to get to 11 wins for the first time since 2003.
In addition to potentially revisiting the rankings release schedule, Radakovich said he is in favor of expanding the playoff to 16 teams, and that there needed to be further discussions with ACC commissioner Jim Phillips and others within the league on whether it makes sense to play without divisions.
“It needs to be something that we look at,” Radakovich said. “This is our first year we didn’t have divisions. Is it a really good idea? I don’t know. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t. But I think whether you have divisions or not, brands playing brands is very important. We can’t stay static. Jim and the people associated with the scheduling in the conference are looking to see if there’s other opportunities to make it better.”
Phillips said one key component as it relates to divisions is how the committee will value conference championship games moving forward. SMU (11-2) made it into the playoff ahead of Alabama and Miami despite losing in the ACC championship game to Clemson.
“We have data from one year, but will that be a criteria moving forward?” Phillips said. “Will it not be a criteria? Will the teams that play in a championship game have some kind of protection? I don’t want to read into that. I’d like to hear from the committee after it’s over, about what some of those conversations were, and I think I’m not the only one.”
Though the season ended in disappointment, Radakovich said the Hurricanes feel like they have something left to prove in their final game. That goes for quarterback Cam Ward, who finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting Saturday. Ward has given every indication he will play in the game.
“Our players, we talked about the leadership council, the young men who were on that have said, ‘We want to be able to play and finish this season, there’s still things to play for,” Radakovich said. “That 11th win hasn’t happened in a long time. They’re all disappointed we didn’t get the chance to play for a championship in the ACC so this could be an opportunity to do that.”
In his first start since agreeing to a $170 million, six-year contract, the left-hander pitched a career-best eight innings as the Red Sox shut out the Baltimore Orioles 3-0 on Wednesday night. Crochet also threw 102 pitches, one shy of his career high.
“My first start in college I went eight, and I haven’t sniffed it since,” Crochet said.
Crochet (1-0) gave up four hits and a walk while striking out eight in his first victory since the offseason trade that sent him from the Chicago White Sox to Boston.
“That’s the reason he’s here,” manager Alex Cora said after the game. “That’s the reason we committed to him.”
Crochet went 6-12 with a 3.58 ERA last season, a bright spot on a Chicago team that lost 121 games. He threw 146 innings, which was double his previous career total since his debut in 2020.
Then Crochet was dealt to the Red Sox, and they made their long-term commitment to the 25-year-old earlier this week.
“Going back to when the trade went through, we knew Boston was a place where we would love to be long term,” Crochet said. “Credit to the front office for staying diligent, and my agency as well.”
Now the question is less about where he’ll pitch and more about how well. He’s off to a nice start in that regard.
“I can’t think of the last time I played baseball for pride. In college, you’re playing to get drafted, and once you’re in the big leagues, you’re playing to stay in the big leagues,” Crochet said. “So to have this security and feel like I’m playing to truly just win ballgames, it takes a lot of the riff-raff out of it.”
The news all around was good for Boston on Wednesday.
It reached a $60 million, eight-year deal with young infielder Kristian Campbell, and he went out and doubled twice against the Orioles.
And Rafael Devers ended a 21-at-bat hitless streak to start the season with an RBI double in the fifth inning. He finished with two hits and no strikeouts.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
ESPN baseball reporter. Covered the L.A. Rams for ESPN from 2016 to 2018 and the L.A. Angels for MLB.com from 2012 to 2016.
LOS ANGELES — Aside from his ability to pitch and hit and stretch the boundaries of imagination, Shohei Ohtani has displayed another singular trait in his time in the major leagues: an ability to meet the moment. Or, perhaps, for the moment to meet him.
And so on Wednesday night, with his Los Angeles Dodgers looking to stay unbeaten, the score tied in the bottom of the ninth, and more than 50,000 fans standing and clenching the Ohtani bobbleheads they lined up hours in advance for, Ohtani approached the batter’s box — and his teammates expected greatness.
“He’s going to end this right here,” Dodgers third baseman Max Muncy said he thought to himself.
“We knew,” starting pitcher Blake Snell said. “It’s just what he does.”
Validation came instantly. Ohtani stayed back on a first-pitch changeup from Raisel Iglesias near the outside corner and shot it toward straightaway center field, 399 feet away, for a walk-off home run, sending the Dodgers to a 6-5, come-from-behind victory over the reeling Atlanta Braves.
“I don’t think anybody didn’t expect him to hit a walk-off home run there,” Dodgers utility man Tommy Edman said. “It’s just a question of where he’d hit it.”
The Dodgers are now 8-0, topping the 1933 New York Yankees of Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth for the longest winning streak to begin a season for a reigning champion. The Braves, meanwhile, are 0-7, the type of record no team has ever recovered from to make the playoffs. And Ohtani, with three home runs and a 1.126 OPS this season, just keeps meeting moments.
“He’s pretty good, huh?” Dodgers outfielder Teoscar Hernandez said. “It’s Shohei. He’s going to do that. He’s going to do things better than that.”
On Aug. 23 last year, Ohtani reached the 40/40 club with a walk-off grand slam. Five days later, the Dodgers staged a second giveaway of his bobblehead — one that saw his now-famous dog, Decoy, handle the ceremonial first pitch — and Ohtani led off with a home run. On Sept. 19, Ohtani clinched his first postseason berth and ascended into the unprecedented 50/50 club with one of the greatest single-game performances in baseball history — six hits, three homers, two steals and 10 RBIs. Barely two weeks later, he homered in his first playoff game.
When Ohtani came up on Wednesday, he had what he described as a simple approach.
“I was looking for a really good pitch to hit,” Ohtani said through an interpreter. “If I didn’t get a good pitch to hit, I was willing to walk.”
Of course, though, he got a good pitch.
And, of course, he sent it out.
“You just feel that he’s going to do something special,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “And I just like the way he’s not pressing. He’s in the strike zone, and when he does that, there’s just no one better.”
The Dodgers began their much-anticipated season with a couple of breezy wins over the Chicago Cubs from Japan, even though Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman did not play in them. They returned home, brought iconic rapper Ice Cube out to present the World Series trophy on one afternoon, received their rings on another and swept a three-game series against the Detroit Tigers. Then came the Braves, and the Dodgers swept them, too — even though Freeman, nursing an ankle injury caused from slipping in the shower, didn’t participate.
The Dodgers already have two walk-offs and six comeback wins this season.
Wednesday’s effort left Roberts “a little dumbfounded.”
A nightmarish start defensively, highlighted by two errant throws from Muncy, spoiled Snell’s start and put them behind 5-0 after the first inning and a half. But the Dodgers kept inching closer. They trailed by just two in the eighth and put runners on second and third with two out. Muncy came to bat with his batting average at just .083. He had used the ballyhooed “Torpedo” bat for his first three plate appearances, didn’t like how it altered his swing plane, grabbed his usual bat for a showdown against Iglesias and laced a game-tying double into the right-center-field gap.
An inning later, Ohtani ended it.
“Overall, not just tonight, there is a really good vibe within the team,” Ohtani said after recording his fourth career walk-off hit. “I just think that’s allowing us to come back in these games to win.”
The Dodgers’ 8-0 start has allowed them to stay just ahead of the 7-0 San Diego Padres and the 5-1 San Francisco Giants in the National League West. Tack on the Arizona Diamondbacks (4-2) and the Colorado Rockies (1-4), and this marks the first time in the divisional era that an entire division has combined for at least 25 wins and no more than seven losses, according to ESPN Research. The Dodgers’ and Padres’ starts mark just the fifth season in major league history with multiple teams starting 7-0 or better, and the first time since 2003.
The Dodgers famously overcame a 2-1 series deficit to vanquish the Padres in the NL Division Series last year, then rode that fight to their first full-season championship since 1988.
That fight hasn’t let up.
“It feels like this clubhouse is carrying a little bit of the attitude we had last year that we’re never out of a game and we’re resilient, and we’ve been carrying it into this season,” Muncy said. “It’s been fun to watch. The guys don’t give up. Bad things have happened, and no one’s really been down or out on themselves. Everyone’s just, ‘All right, here we go, next inning, let’s get after it.’ The whole team, top to bottom, has been doing that. It’s been making it really, really fun to play.”
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica — Carbon monoxide poisoning was the cause of death of the teenage son of former New York Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner, authorities in Costa Rica said Wednesday night.
Randall Zúñiga, director of the Judicial Investigation Agency, said 14-year-old Miller Gardner was tested for carboxyhemoglobin, a compound generated when carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in the blood.
When carboxyhemoglobin saturation exceeds 50%, it is considered lethal. In Gardner’s case, the test showed a saturation of 64%.
“It’s important to note that adjacent to this room is a dedicated machine room, where it’s believed there may be some type of contamination toward these rooms,” Zúñiga said.
The head of the Costa Rican judicial police added that, during the autopsy, a “layer” was detected on the boy’s organs, which forms when there is a high presence of the poisonous gas.
Gardner died March 21 while staying with his family at a hotel on the Manuel Antonio beach in Costa Rica’s Central Pacific.
Asphyxiation was initially thought to have caused his death. After an autopsy was performed by the Forensic Pathology Section, that theory was ruled out.
Another line of investigation centered around whether the family had suffered food poisoning. Family members had reported feeling ill after dining at a nearby restaurant on the night of March 20 and received treatment from the hotel doctor.
Brett Gardner, 41, was drafted by the Yankees in 2005 and spent his entire major league career with the organization. The speedy outfielder batted .256 with 139 homers, 578 RBIs, 274 steals and 73 triples in 14 seasons from 2008 to 2021.