Connect with us

Published

on

Festival season is under way, and leading the charge: the Isle of Wight Festival – dubbed “Europe’s Woodstock” – with headliners including Sting and the Stereophonics.

Former N-Sync star Justin Timberlake – a man who’s crooned about his love of “dance, dance, dance” and has recently become a meme for his mic-centric moves on stage – is a headliner too.

Pic: Reuters
Image:
Justin Timberlake – and his trusty mic stand. Pic: Reuters

Meanwhile, Glastonbury Festival will see headline acts including Olivia Rodrigo, the 1975, and Charli XCX.

But along with the headline stars and hot weather, politics has also found its way into the spotlight.

Youth culture and political expression have long been part of the festival experience, with Vietnam, nuclear disarmament, Brexit and the Russian invasion of Ukraine all attracting attention over the decades.

This year, with geopolitics seemingly at a boiling point, the Israel-Hamas war has had far-reaching implications. As the Israel-Iran war follows in its wake, the conflict has prompted strong opinions on both sides.

Irish-language rap trio Kneecap‘s upcoming Glastonbury Festival set has become a flashpoint for robust debate, drawing protests from those calling for their set to be cancelled, as well as those championing their right to speak out.

More on Glastonbury

The root of the contention? Kneecap band member Liam O’Hanna, 27, was charged with a terror offence earlier this year, accused of displaying a flag in support of Hezbollah, a proscribed organisation in the UK, at a gig last year.

Kneecap's Liam Og O Hannaidh leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court in London
Image:
Kneecap’s Liam Og O hAnnaidh leaves Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London. Pic: PA

Hezbollah was proscribed in its entirety in 2019 because the government classed it as a terrorist organisation and said its attacks on Israel were “attempts to destabilise the fragile situation in the Middle East”.

On Saturday, Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said he did not think Kneecap’s planned Glastonbury Festival performance was “appropriate” and Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch said she thought the BBC “should not be showing” the band’s performance at the festival next weekend.

Read more:
‘Scary spotlight’ on music stars amid Kneecap charge
Kneecap release new single after member charged

Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm, Somerset, 2019. Photo by Joel C Ryan/Invision/AP
Image:
Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm, Somerset. Pic: PA

Although “removed” from playing at Scottish music festival TRNSMT next month due to “safety concerns”, Kneecap have remained on the Glastonbury bill, prompting the question: Is the stage a place for political opinion?

‘If we think we’re separate from world events, we’re kidding ourselves’

Faithless star Sister Bliss, who performed at the first of the re-instated Isle of Wight Festivals and is performing again this year, tells Sky News: “If we think that we’re separate from world events, we’re absolutely kidding ourselves. Our lives are tied intrinsically to everybody else’s on the planet.

“You can have certain people that express that in a way that is perhaps a tad crass, but I love that lyrically – especially on our records, in songs that we’ve made over the last 30 years – I feel that you can combine the personal and political in a way that’s not tub-thumping or simplistic. These issues are very nuanced that are going on in the world right now.”

Sister Bliss of Faithless. Pic: Callum Baker
Image:
Sister Bliss of Faithless. Pic: Callum Baker

Speaking to Sky News at the Isle of Wight Festival, Clean Bandit star Grace Chatto says artists are right to use the stage to amplify their voice.

“It is such a great place for political speech, like when Jeremy Corbyn spoke at Glastonbury – it was the most attended thing of the whole event, and it just brought such a feeling of unity and hope in that field on that day”.

The 39-year-old cellist adds: “Then recently, Kneecap and Massive Attack have just been so important, I think, and amazing.”

Earlier this month, Massive Attack, who have previously been critical of Israel, included footage of Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar and his family as part of a video montage at one of their concerts.

(R-L) Grace Chatto and Jack Patterson of Clean Bandit. Pic: @photosbychloeh
Image:
(R-L) Grace Chatto and Jack Patterson of Clean Bandit. Pic: @photosbychloeh

‘I’ve got loads of friends who are absolute idiots politically’

Fresh from the Isle of Wight Main Stage, Mae Muller tells Sky News: “With what’s happening in Gaza, I know that’s been a very prominent theme with people saying, ‘Should we speak out about it or not?’ But that’s not political, it’s a human rights issue.

“It’s important for us to use our voice, because not everybody can. If we feel strongly about something, and we can stand behind it, I think [the stage is] definitely a place to do it.”

Pic: Sarah Louise Bennett
Image:
Mae Muller. Pic: Sarah Louise Bennett

Muller, who represented the UK at last year’s Eurovision Song Competition – which became a highly politicised event despite the attempts of the organisers to keep it from the stage – continues: “Art is inherently political, and you can’t really escape it. And we shouldn’t want to escape it. It can be two things at once. [Politics] and fun can coexist.

Meanwhile, Razorlight front-man Johnny Borrell, ahead of his Main Stage performance, tells Sky News: “Why not say what you believe in? Why does everyone get so precious?

“You can disagree with people. I’ve got loads of friends who are absolute idiots politically – they think the earth is flat. I like them as people, but I completely disagree with them in politics”.

Pic: Sarah Louise Bennett
Image:
Johnny Borrell. Pic: Sarah Louise Bennett

Borrell adds: “We don’t have a problem with disagreeing, but if everyone’s tapping away [mimes typing on a phone] and they’re like, ‘No, I’m really angry, I’m going to tap back,’ that’s a different thing. That’s what’s changed recently.”

A ‘disruptor’ festival, showing the world that anything is possible’

Regardless of the polarised times, Isle of Wight Festival promoter John Giddings, 72, says the Isle of Wight Festival experience should be a break from activism rather than a call to arms.

The 72-year-old, who represents artists ranging from Blondie to Phil Collins, told Sky News: “We’re purely about music and entertainment, and we are to switch off from politics for three or four days. We’re in the business of entertaining people, not preaching to people. And I don’t understand why people attempt to. That’s a different forum.”

Isle of Wight Festival promotor, John Giddings. Pic: PA
Image:
Isle of Wight Festival promotor, John Giddings. Pic: PA

Giddings, who relaunched the iconic festival after it was outlawed by authorities in 1970, fearing the crowds and rowdy behaviour could detract from the island, may be keen to avoid political controversy, but he’s keen to break the mould in other areas.

Following a long line of stars before him, including Bob Dylon, Jimi Hendrix and Joni Mitchell, singer Emmanuel Kelly has become the first physically differently-abled artist to perform on the Isle of Wight Festival’s Main Stage.

The 31-year-old former X Factor star, who supported Coldplay on their Music Of The Spheres tour last year, says as far as accessibility is concerned, the Isle of Wight Festival is a trailblazer.

Emmanuel Kelly – Pic: James Millington Photography
Image:
Emmanuel Kelly. Pic: James Millington Photography

Kelly tells Sky News: “Somebody that’s different is on the stage and is able to show the world that anything’s possible.”

Echoing the festival’s early rebel roots, he credits it with being a “disruptor”, adding, “They make the extra effort to teach the others around the world to make the extra effort as well… It’s important and it’s happening and I’m excited for it.”

In response to Sir Keir’s call for Kneecap to be removed from the line up at Glastonbury next weekend, and whether the performance would be available on any BBC platforms if it goes ahead, a BBC spokesperson said: “As the broadcast partner, the BBC will be bringing audiences extensive music coverage from Glastonbury, with artists booked by the festival organisers.

“Whilst the BBC doesn’t ban artists, our plans will ensure that our programming will meet our editorial guidelines. Decisions about our output will be made in the lead up to the festival.”

The Isle of Wight Festival runs until Sunday 22 June, with the Glastonbury Festival kicking off on 25 June.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

PM’s rap battle with Sky’s Beth Rigby goes viral – and one of the AI satirists behind it explains why

Published

on

By

PM's rap battle with Sky's Beth Rigby goes viral - and one of the AI satirists behind it explains why

Satire has long been an occupational hazard for politicians – and while it has long been cartoons or shows like Spitting Image, content created by artificial intelligence (AI) is increasingly becoming the norm.

A new page called the Crewkerne Gazette has been going viral in recent days for their videos using the new technology to satirise Rachel Reeves and other politicians around the budget.

On Sky’s Politics Hub, our presenter Darren McCaffrey spoke to one of the people behind the viral sensations, who is trying to remain anonymous.

He said: “A lot of people are drawing comparisons between us and Spitting Image, actually, and Spitting Image was great back in the day, but I kind of feel like recently they’ve not really covered a lot of what’s happening.

“So we are the new and improved Spitting Image, the much better Have I Got News For You?”

He added that those kinds of satire shows don’t seem to be engaging with younger people – but claimed his own output is “incredibly good at doing” just that.

Examples of videos from the Crewkerne Gazette includes a rapping Kemi Badenoch and Rachel Reeves advertising leaky storage containers.

More on Beth Rigby Interviews

They even satirised our political editor Beth Rigby’s interview with the prime minister on Thursday, when he defended measures in the budget and insisted they did not break their manifesto pledge by raising taxes.

“Crewkerne Man” says providing satire for younger people is important as Labour is lowering the voting age.

Asked why he is trying to be anonymous, the man said the project is not about one person – or even the whole group – but rather their output.

He also claimed the UK is “increasingly seeing arrests – especially with comedians”, pointing to the Graham Linehan case.

“So we just never know where the Labour Party is going to drive the policy next, in regards to free speech,” he said.

“So for me, certainly it’s a matter of safety.”

Watch Beth Rigby’s actual interview with Sir Keir Starmer below.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

The prime minister defends the budget

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tilly Norwood: Creator of AI actress insists she’s not designed to steal jobs

Published

on

By

Tilly Norwood: Creator of AI actress insists she's not designed to steal jobs

The creator of an AI actress has told Sky News that synthetic performers will get more actors working, rather than steal jobs.

AI production studio Particle6 has ruffled feathers in Hollywood by unveiling Tilly Norwood – a 20-something actress created by artificial intelligence.

Speaking to Sky News’ Dominic Waghorn, actor and comedian Eline Van der Velden – who founded Particle6 – insisted Norwood is “not meant to take jobs in the traditional film”.

AI entertainment is “developing as a completely separate genre”, she said, adding: “And that’s where Tilly is meant to stay. She’s meant to stay in the AI genre and be a star in that.”

“I don’t want her to take real actors’ jobs,” she continued. “I wanted to have her own creative path.”

Norwood has been labelled “really, really scary” by Mary Poppins Returns star Emily Blunt, while the US actors’ union SAG-AFTRA said in a statement: “Tilly Norwood is not an actor, it’s a character generated by a computer program that was trained on the work of countless professional performers – without permission or compensation.”

Responding to the criticism, Ms Van der Velden argued that Hollywood is “going to have to learn how to work with [AI] going forward”.

“We can’t stop it,” she said. “If we put our head in the sand, then our jobs will be gone. However, instead, if we learn how to use these tools, if we use it going forward, especially in Britain, we can be that creative powerhouse.”

Eline Van der Velden said she wanted the character to 'have her own creative path'
Image:
Eline Van der Velden said she wanted the character to ‘have her own creative path’

Read more:
How AI music is fooling most of us
Tom Hollander ‘not scared’ of AI star

Ms Van der Velden said her studio has already helped a number of projects that were struggling due to budget constraints.

“Some productions get stuck, not able to find the last 30% of their budget, and so they don’t go into production,” she said. “Now with AI, by replacing some of the shots […] we can actually get that production going and working. So as a result, we get more jobs, we get more actors working, so that’s all really, really positive news.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sally Rooney tells court new books may not be published in UK due to Palestine Action ban

Published

on

By

Sally Rooney tells court new books may not be published in UK due to Palestine Action ban

Irish author Sally Rooney has told the High Court she may not be able to publish new books in the UK, and may have to withdraw previous titles from sale, because of the ban on Palestine Action.

The group’s co-founder Huda Ammori is taking legal action against the Home Office over the decision to proscribe Palestine Action under anti-terror laws in July.

The ban made being a member of, or supporting, Palestine Action a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison.

Rooney was in August warned that she risked committing a terrorist offence after saying she would donate earnings from her books, and the TV adaptations of Normal People and Conversations With Friends, to support Palestine Action.

In a witness statement made public on Thursday, Rooney said the producer of the BBC dramas said they had been advised that they could not send money to her agent if the funds could be used to fund the group, as that would be a crime under anti-terror laws.

Rooney added that it was “unclear” whether any UK company can pay her, stating that if she is prevented from profiting from her work, her income would be “enormously restricted”.

More on Palestine Action

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Why was Palestine Action proscribed?

She added: “If I were to write another screenplay, television show or similar creative work, I would not be able to have it produced or distributed by a company based in England and Wales without, expressly or tacitly, accepting that I would not be paid.”

Rooney described how the publication of her books is based on royalties on sales, and that non-payment of royalties would mean she can terminate her contract.

“If, therefore, Faber and Faber Limited are legally prohibited from paying me the royalties I am owed, my existing works may have to be withdrawn from sale and would therefore no longer be available to readers in the UK,” Rooney added, saying this would be “a truly extreme incursion by the state into the realm of artistic expression”.

Rooney added that it is “almost certain” that she cannot publish or produce new work in the UK while the Palestine Action ban remains in force.

She said: “If Palestine Action is still proscribed by the time my next book is due for publication, then that book will be available to readers all over the world and in dozens of languages, but will be unavailable to readers in the United Kingdom simply because no one will be permitted to publish it, unless I am content to give it away for free.”

Sir James Eadie KC, barrister for the Home Office, said in a written submission that the ban’s aim is “stifling organisations concerned in terrorism and for members of the public to face criminal liability for joining or supporting such organisations”.

“That serves to ensure proscribed organisations are deprived of the oxygen of publicity as well as both vocal and financial support,” he continued.

The High Court hearing is due to conclude on 2 December, with a decision expected in writing at a later date.

Continue Reading

Trending