Connect with us

Published

on

Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin has partnered with a Russian technology company to produce a movie, series or documentary about his NHL career.

Yandex and its streaming platform, Kinopoisk, announced the agreement Tuesday.

Ovechkin this past spring broke Wayne Gretzky’s career goals record and has scored 897 going into the final season of his contract with the Capitals. Ovechkin, who turns 40 next month, has along with his representatives granted the rights to adapt his career to Yandex’s production label, Plus Studio.

The Moscow native began his professional career in the Russian league, now the KHL. He is expected to take part in commercials and serve as a Yandex ambassador as part of the deal.

Ovechkin has played his entire NHL career with Washington since the Capitals drafted him with the first pick in 2004, and he debuted in 2005. He has been the face of the franchise since, served as its captain since January 2010. He was playoffs MVP in 2018 when he led the Capitals to their first Stanley Cup championship.

Continue Reading

Sports

Suspended Little Leaguer’s bat sells for $10K

Published

on

By

Suspended Little Leaguer's bat sells for K

PHILADELPHIA — The bat tossed in the air by a New Jersey Little Leaguer to celebrate a home run that earned him a suspension later lifted by a judge sold Friday for nearly $10,000 at auction.

All proceeds from the sale of 12-year-old Marco Rocco’s signed bat will be donated to the program he plays for, Haddonfield Little League.

“Marco loves Little League and is happy that he is able to give back to an organization that he is very fond of,” his father, Joe, said in a text. “Little League was such a big part of Marco’s life for a long time.”

The auction by Goldin Auctions drew 68 bids. The winning bid was $9,882, and the name of the winning bidder was not announced.

Marco’s bat flip July 16 in the final of the Little League sectional tournament resulted in an ejection, a one-game suspension and a legal fight. The suspension would have kept him out of the first game of the state tournament.

Joe Rocco took Little League to court and won an emergency temporary restraining order that allowed Marco to play in the double-elimination tournament.

The incident was commemorated with a pin available at the Little League World Series. The bat flip also drew attention from major leaguers, who sided with the boy.

Continue Reading

Sports

Guardians say release of Santana ‘joint’ decision

Published

on

By

Guardians say release of Santana 'joint' decision

CLEVELAND — The release of Cleveland Guardians first baseman Carlos Santana was a “joint decision between him and us,” according to team president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti.

The 39-year-old cleared waivers Thursday and was subsequently removed from the roster, giving Santana an opportunity to sign with another team before the Sunday deadline for playoff eligibility.

“In the last week, we had a lot of dialogue with Carlos because of the incredible appreciation we have for him,” Antonetti said Friday in the home dugout before Cleveland’s game against the Seattle Mariners. “And I give him a ton of credit for being very much a stabilizing veteran presence on our team. He has made a massive impact on our franchise.”

Santana batted .225 with 11 home runs and 52 RBIs in 116 games after signing a one-year contract in December. The former Silver Slugger and Gold Glove winner is one of 30 players in franchise history to spent 11 seasons with Cleveland.

With the Guardians five games out of the final American League wild-card position, they opted to reduce Santana’s playing time in favor of second-year designated hitter Kyle Manzardo and rookie first baseman CJ Kayfus.

“Carlos had asked, ‘If I clear, would you mind releasing me to give me the opportunity to play somewhere else?,'” Cleveland manager Stephen Vogt said. “What Carlos has meant to this organization can’t be said enough. It’s invaluable.”

The 15-year veteran also has played for Kansas City, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Milwaukee, and is the active leader with 1,330 bases on balls.

“He’ll probably be in the Cleveland Guardians Hall of Fame in a couple years, as well,” Vogt said. “It was really fun to get to know him and work with him.”

Continue Reading

Sports

A’s Kurtz (oblique) day-to-day after ‘clean’ MRI

Published

on

By

A's Kurtz (oblique) day-to-day after 'clean' MRI

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Athletics rookie Nick Kurtz is day-to-day after experiencing right oblique soreness against the Texas Rangers on Friday, Athletics manager Mark Kotsay said Saturday.

Kurtz had an MRI that returned “clean,” Kotsay said. He was not in the lineup for the second game of a three-game series Saturday.

Kurtz began feeling discomfort after batting practice Friday. After drawing a walk, he was rounding third base and heading for home on Brent Rooker‘s double in the third inning when Kurtz apparently aggravated the soreness and slowed down. He crossed the plate to tie the score at 2-2 but immediately walked to the clubhouse with the team medical staff.

Kotsay said there is no strain in terms of muscle tissue, but Kurtz is dealing with pain tolerance. Kotsay did not say when Kurtz would return.

“We hope to get him back sooner than later,” Kotsay said.

Kurtz is hitting .308 with 23 doubles, 2 triples, 27 home runs, and 70 RBIs this season. He is one of just three players in the majors this season to hit four home runs in a game.

Kurtz is the first rookie in major league history to hit four homers in a game and matched the MLB record for total bases with 19 in a July 25 game against the Houston Astros. He also had a double, a single, and a total of six RBIs in that game.

Continue Reading

Trending