Connect with us

Published

on

Parts of the M25 have been temporarily closed after Just Stop Oil protesters climbed overhead gantries and caused disruption on the major motorway circling London.

A spokeswoman for the group said “action has gone ahead in multiple locations on the M25”.

Motorists were urged to avoid the area and seek alternative routes while several police forces dealt with the demonstrations.

The disruption comes despite the Metropolitan Police “proactively” arresting campaigners last night suspected of planning action on UK motorways.

A total of 23 people have been arrested so far.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Matt Twist said the action was “criminality”, not protest, and pledged to bring those involved to justice as quickly as possible.

He told journalists on Monday: “This was a very significant and co-ordinated effort to cause massive disruption to the entirety of the M25.”

More on Just Stop Oil

A protester is removed from an overhead gantry at J6 of the M25 motorway, London. Pic: Surrey Police
Image:
A protester is removed from an overhead gantry at J6 of the M25. Pics: Surrey Police
Handout photo taken with permission from the twitter account @SurreyPolice of a Just Stop Oil protester who has climbed a gantry on the M25 between junctions six and seven in Surrey, leading to the closure of the motorway. Surrey Police said the decision was made to close the road "for the safety of everyone" while officers attempt to remove the activist. Picture date: Monday November 7, 2022.
A protester is detained on the M25. Pic: Surrey Police
Image:
A protester is detained on the motorway by officers

Surrey Police said a decision was made to close several sections of the M25 during the morning rush hour on Monday “for the safety of everyone” while officers removed activists.

The force said it had received reports of protesters scaling gantries between junctions 6 and 7, 8 and 9, 9 and 10, and 11 and 12.

“We are here and dealing and will get this resolved as soon as possible,” it tweeted, later adding activists had been removed and arrested for public nuisance from all those sections of the motorway, with lanes reopening.

A fifth protester, who had scaled an overhead gantry between junctions 13 and 14, was also removed – with traffic resuming.

Handout photo issued by Just Stop Oil of a protester who has climbed a gantry on the M25 between junctions six and seven in Surrey, leading to the closure of the motorway. Surrey Police said the decision was made to close the road "for the safety of everyone" while officers attempt to remove the activist. Picture date: Monday November 7, 2022.
Image:
A protester on the M25 between junctions 6 and 7. Pic: Just Stop Oil

Hertfordshire Police said it was dealing with similar action on the M25 at junctions 20, 22 and 23.

“The junction 22 #M25 road closure has now been lifted. All protesters have been removed and some five people have been arrested,” the force tweeted.

Three people were arrested by Essex Police, including a man and a woman, for attempting to climb a gantry at junction 30 of the motorway. The third person had locked himself onto a gantry at junction 27.

They are now in custody and being questioned on suspicion of road traffic offences.

“At this stage, there are no longer any reported incidents on the Essex stretch of the M25 and the road has now fully reopened,” the force said in a statement.

The demonstrations took place as the latest COP27 international climate change summit in Egypt got under way.

A Just Stop Oil protester on an overhead gantry at J30 of the M25. Pic: Essex Police
Image:
A Just Stop Oil protester at J30 of the M25. Pics: Essex Police
A Just Stop Oil protester is removed from an overhead motorway gantry by officers on the M25. Pic: Essex Police
Image:
A Just Stop Oil protester is removed from an overhead motorway gantry by officers on the M25
A Just Stop Oil protester is detained by officers on the M25. Pic: Essex Police
Image:
A Just Stop Oil protester is detained by officers on the M25

The Met had earlier said its “significant” operation had resulted in at least three people being detained, who the force had “strong reason to believe are intent on causing reckless and serious disruption to the public”.

In a statement released late on Sunday, Mr Twist said: “Acting on intelligence, this operation is fast-moving and will continue this evening and overnight with multiple arrest inquiries under way.

“So far this evening we have made three arrests linked to this activity.

Climate - The Great Debate
Image:
Climate – The Great Debate

“Our investigation has strong reason to suspect the Just Stop Oil group intend to disrupt major motorway road networks which would risk serious harm to the public, with reckless action to obstruct the public on a large scale.”

The suspects were arrested for allegedly conspiring to cause public nuisance, according to the Met Police.

Mr Twist warned there “remains a possibility” that other suspects are “still intent on causing unlawful disruption to the public”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Just Stop Oil removed from London roads

National Highways has secured a High Court injunction to prevent Just Stop Oil protesters disrupting England’s busiest motorway.

The court has granted a further injunction which aims to stop unlawful demonstrations on the M25, which encircles Greater London, in an attempt to end disruption to the busy road by the environmental group.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Moment protesters brought down from QE2 bridge

It means that anyone entering the motorway and fixing themselves to any object or structure on it, and anyone assisting in such an act, can be held in contempt of court.

They could face imprisonment, an unlimited fine, and the seizure of assets.

Read more:
Just Stop Oil have this message for people who are affected
Mother who deflates SUV tyres wants ‘army of middle-aged women’ to join her

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Who are Just Stop Oil?

Just Stop Oil has attracted widespread attention, and fierce criticism, in recent weeks for their stunts which have involved spraying orange paint on buildings and scaling a bridge to force the closure of the M25 Dartford Crossing.

The climate change activists staged 32 days of disruption from the end of September and throughout October, which the Met said resulted in 677 arrests with 111 people charged.

The protesters have been calling on the government to abandon plans to licence more than 100 new oil and gas projects by 2025, and to do more to help people with their skyrocketing energy bills.

Continue Reading

UK

‘Major incident’ declared in Northern Ireland as wildfire breaks out amid higher-than-normal temperatures

Published

on

By

'Major incident' declared in Northern Ireland as wildfire breaks out amid higher-than-normal temperatures

A major incident has been declared in Northern Ireland after a wildfire broke out, the latest in a series of blazes seen across the UK over the past week amid soaring temperatures.

More than 100 firefighters and 14 fire appliances were at the scene of the “significant” wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire had a front of approximately two miles “including a large area of forestry close to property”, the service said.

A wildfire broke out in Northern Ireland. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image:
The wildfire on Sandbank Road, Hilltown. Pic: Sky Watch NI

“Local residents are requested to avoid the area, a number of roads have been closed, to help support firefighting operations,” the fire service added.

“We ask that all members of the public remain particularly vigilant to the risk of fire at this time. We can reassure members of the public that normal service delivery is being maintained.”

A wildfire broke out in Northern Ireland. Pic: Sky Watch NI
Image:
More than 100 firefighters were at the scene of the fire. Pic: Sky Watch NI

Various fires erupted across England this week amid uncharacteristically warm and dry conditions for the time of year.

On Saturday, helicopters were deployed to tackle Scotland’s fourth wildfire this week, with police saying a blaze “which started in the Newton Stewart area has spread northwards and is expected to reach the Loch Doon area of East Ayrshire around 12am on Sunday”.

More on Northern Ireland

Police Scotland added: “As a precautionary measure members of the public are asked to avoid the Loch Doon area and anyone who may be camping in the area is advised to leave.”

Dorset wildfires
Image:
Moors Valley Country Park blackened by fires this week

Elsewhere in England, Devon and Cornwall Police said they were assisting the fire service with temporary road closures on the A30 in the Bolventor area as they tackle “a number of fires” on moorland.

In Dorset, Moors Valley Country Park was forced to close after multiple wildfires broke out there on Wednesday.

Read more from Sky News:
Zelenskyy makes dig at US over its response to Russian attack
What hopes are there for the future of Prince Harry’s charity?

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Wildfires spread across nature reserve

Separate incidents were then reported at Upton Heath in Poole on Wednesday, and nearby Canford Heath in the early hours of Thursday.

Friday was officially the warmest day of the year so far – with temperatures in the south of England reaching 23C (73.4F) – the highest since 21 September last year, according to the Met Office.

The weather conditions triggered a “severe” wildfire rating for parts of the UK on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

Trending