Connect with us

Published

on

Leah Croucher’s parents have spent an agonising three years and eight months waiting for answers after their daughter disappeared on 15 February 2019.

Leah, 19, vanished as she walked to work at a finance company and was last seen on CCTV just after 8.15am in Buzzacott Lane, a two-minute drive away from a house in Furzton, Milton Keynes.

But it was only four days ago on Monday, 10 October, when Thames Valley Police (TVP) received a tip-off from a member of the public, that they started searching the property in Loxbeare Drive.

Officers are guarding the property in the Furzton area of Milton Keynes
Image:
Officers are guarding the property in the Furzton area of Milton Keynes

Officers discovered items including a rucksack and personal possessions belonging to Leah.

Human remains were found in the loft.

Officers had visited the house on at least two earlier occasions during the investigation but there was no response.

They dropped a leaflet through the letterbox asking for the occupant to call if they had information.

More on Crime

The force has since changed its investigation from a missing person’s probe to a murder enquiry – as Leah’s parents revealed how their “darkest fears had come true”.

Detectives insisted it is the first time Leah’s disappearance was linked to the address, despite a huge search involving 4,000 house-to-house calls.

Following the latest developments, police have named the prime suspect as convicted sex offender Neil Maxwell, whose body was found on 20 April 2019 after he killed himself.

TVP said on Friday that during the entire investigation to find the teenager, “there has been no direct link between Maxwell and Leah until Monday”.

EMBARGOED TO 0001 WEDNESDAY MAY 25 Undated handout photo issued by Missing People of the Leah Croucher billboard at Westfield, London. Missing persons posters and billboards have had a revamp, with experts turning to science and technology to make them more memorable. The charity Missing People hopes the changes will maximise the chance of the public engaging with the posters and taking action. Issue date: Wednesday May 25, 2022.
Image:
A billboard appealing for information at Westfield shopping centre in west London

What have the police done to find Leah since she disappeared?

TVP said on Friday that from the “very outset” of its investigation, the “most experienced and capable detectives, led by a senior investigating officer” were assigned to the case to demonstrate the force’s “determination” to find the 19-year-old.

In a statement released on Friday, Detective Chief Superintendent Ian Hunter insisted “every reasonable line of enquiry” had been pursued “immediately and thoroughly”.

Efforts to locate Leah included:

• Deploying hundreds of officers and staff to search for the teenager
• Reviewing 1,200 hours of CCTV
• Conducting more than 4,000 house-to-house enquiries
• Searching lakes, open land and woodland
• Media appeals and offering rewards for help

Leah’s parents said they believe police could not have done anything differently and thanked them for their efforts.

They have described their ordeal as “one of the most difficult times of our lives”.

Neil Maxwell
Image:
Neil Maxwell

Missed opportunities to arrest prime suspect Neil Maxwell

Handyman Maxwell was hired in 2018 to complete some maintenance at the property in Loxbeare Drive, whose owner lives overseas.

Maxwell was the only person with keys to the house, which was unoccupied when police visited to conduct their enquiries into Leah’s disappearance.

Maxwell was previously convicted for sexual offences against women and was wanted in connection with a sexual assault in Newport Pagnell, on the outskirts of Milton Keynes, in November 2018.

The attack was initially reported to Bedfordshire Police on 29 November 2018 before the case was transferred to TVP the following day.

The force made a total of 18 failed attempts to arrest Maxwell – initially at an address in Milton Keynes on 30 November, when he was not present.

A nationwide chase ensued with police trailing the suspect around the country.

Maxwell used false names and changed mobile phone and vehicles

Mr Hunter said in a statement: “Maxwell knew he was wanted in connection with the sexual assault and was travelling across the UK and making concerted efforts to evade arrest, including false names and changing his mobile phone and vehicles.

“He is likely to have known that he would be returning to prison if he was arrested and convicted.”

TVP also shared Maxwell’s name with other forces in December 2018 and launched a public appeal on 4 April 2019 – just over a fortnight before he was found dead.

Pic: Thames Valley Police
Image:
Leah Croucher went missing on 15 February 2019. Pic: Thames Valley Police

Mr Hunter added: “In April 2019, when we published our wanted appeal regarding Maxwell in connection with the sexual assault in Newport Pagnell, and during our entire investigation to find Leah, there has been no direct link between Maxwell and Leah until Monday this week when we were called about the property in Loxbeare Drive.

“If Maxwell were alive today, we would be seeking his arrest in connection with this investigation, so he could be interviewed under caution to provide his account.”

“Whilst Maxwell has been nominated as a suspect, this does not mean he is guilty of any offence,” Mr Hunter added.

He vowed the force would keep an “open mind” as the investigation continues in the hope of “establishing the truth”.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting Op Innsbruck or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

UK

Boy dies after ‘getting into difficulty’ in lake in southeast London

Published

on

By

Boy dies after 'getting into difficulty' in lake in southeast London

A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.

Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.

The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.

“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.

The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.

The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.

In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.

More from UK

google street view inside Beckenham Place park, Lewisham where a 16 y/o boy is missing after getting into difficulty in a lake
Image:
Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon

Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.

The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.

It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.

“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”

Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.

Continue Reading

Trending