A Home Office source has told me the situation at Manston has been a “ticking time bomb” and that the set up there was not designed for people to spend more than a short period of time there.
The site has been designed to accommodate people once they have been taken off boats and processed through Western Jet Foil, where they are given basic care.
Those people are then only meant to stay a maximum of 24 to 48 hours before being sent to temporary accommodation.
“The conditions are austere but acceptable, but for people staying much longer than that, the conditions are unpleasant.”
The source told me that Suella Braverman failed to sign off accommodation and that decision not to take on extra accommodation is going to be potentially very difficult for the home secretary.
Two Home Office sources told me that the decision is likely to face a judicial review because the law requires that people are held in these conditions for 24 to 48 hours only, when in reality people are being held there for weeks at a time.
The question for the home secretary will be whether she ignored official advice and did not sign off on accommodation when she should have done.
More on Migrant Crisis
Related Topics:
Two sources tell me that they think this is what has happened. However, another Home Office source has told me this is “categorically untrue”.
The Home Office figure added: “We do not comment on legal advice – but we are clear she has not ignored any legal advice and has taken steps to find alternative accommodation for those in Manston.”
Advertisement
A fourth source told me that the home secretary had been reluctant to sign off certain accommodation, but this was because she, alongside local MPs and councillors, deemed it inappropriate for particular areas of the country.
“Many people were being put into hotels in what are typically tourist areas, which in turn prompted kick back from local areas and politicians because of concerns around damaging local economies by taking tourist business away.”
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:44
Video from inside migrant centre
I’m told that Grant Shapps, who served as home secretary for just a few days between Ms Braverman’s resignation and reappointment, and Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick have signed off hotels in recent days to alleviate the overcrowding- with about 4,000 people currently being housed in a facility for 1,500.
One source told me the overcrowding could be resolved in a week or so, depending on the weather and the number of people trying to make the crossing.
As for the home secretary, it is far from clear whether she can survive this scandal and while the prime minister has publicly said he has full confidence in her, one ally suggested that Rishi Sunak might be comfortable in letting Ms Braverman fall on her sword over this.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
0:28
‘Breach of humane conditions’ at Manston
Some colleagues are circling around the home secretary following her controversial re-appointment.
One former cabinet minister who sat around the top table with her told me: “She’s not up to it. She relies on others out of government to tell her what to do. She’s not good enough.”
Another former minister told me: “He should never have re-appointed her in the first place.”
However, others have come forward to back her. Lord Frost, the former Brexit minister, said on Monday, Ms Braverman “should now be allowed to get on with the job” and said the “continued pursuit of the home sec over micro-details by Labour & some of the media looks unreasonable, even obsessional”.
Global financial markets gave a clear vote of no-confidence in President Trump’s economic policy.
The damage it will do is obvious: costs for companies will rise, hitting their earnings.
The consequences will ripple throughout the global economy, with economists now raising their expectations for a recession, not only in the US, but across the world.
The court ruled to uphold the impeachment saying the conservative leader “violated his duty as commander-in-chief by mobilising troops” when he declared martial law.
The president was also said to have taken actions “beyond the powers provided in the constitution”.
Image: Demonstrators stayed overnight near the constitutional court. Pic: AP
Supporters and opponents of the president gathered in their thousands in central Seoul as they awaited the ruling.
The 64-year-old shocked MPs, the public and international allies in early December when he declared martial law, meaning all existing laws regarding civilians were suspended in place of military law.
Image: The court was under heavy police security guard ahead of the announcement. Pic: AP
After suddenly declaring martial law, Mr Yoon sent hundreds of soldiers and police officers to the National Assembly.
He has argued that he sought to maintain order, but some senior military and police officers sent there have told hearings and investigators that Mr Yoon ordered them to drag out politicians to prevent an assembly vote on his decree.
His presidential powers were suspended when the opposition-dominated assembly voted to impeach him on 14 December, accusing him of rebellion.
The unanimous verdict to uphold parliament’s impeachment and remove Mr Yoon from office required the support of at least six of the court’s eight justices.
South Korea must hold a national election within two months to find a new leader.
Lee Jae-myung, leader of the main liberal opposition Democratic Party, is the early favourite to become the country’s next president, according to surveys.
While the UK’s FTSE 100 closed down 1.55% and the continent’s STOXX Europe 600 index was down 2.67% as of 5.30pm, it was American traders who were hit the most.
All three of the US’s major markets opened to sharp losses on Thursday morning.
Image: The S&P 500 is set for its worst day of trading since the COVID-19 pandemic. File pic: AP
By 8.30pm UK time (3.30pm EST), The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 3.7%, the S&P 500 opened with a drop of 4.4%, and the Nasdaq composite was down 5.6%.
Compared to their values when Donald Trump was inaugurated, the three markets were down around 5.6%, 8.7% and 14.4%, respectively, according to LSEG.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
Worst one-day losses since COVID
As Wall Street trading ended at 9pm in the UK, two indexes had suffered their worst one-day losses since the COVID-19 pandemic.
The S&P 500 fell 4.85%, the Nasdaq dropped 6%, and the Dow Jones fell 4%.
It marks Nasdaq’s biggest daily percentage drop since March 2020 at the start of COVID, and the largest drop for the Dow Jones since June 2020.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
5:07
The latest numbers on tariffs
‘Trust in President Trump’
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told CNN earlier in the day that Mr Trump was “doubling down on his proven economic formula from his first term”.
“To anyone on Wall Street this morning, I would say trust in President Trump,” she told the broadcaster, adding: “This is indeed a national emergency… and it’s about time we have a president who actually does something about it.”
Later, the US president told reporters as he left the White House that “I think it’s going very well,” adding: “The markets are going to boom, the stock is going to boom, the country is going to boom.”
He later said on Air Force One that the UK is “happy” with its tariff – the lowest possible levy of 10% – and added he would be open to negotiations if other countries “offer something phenomenal”.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
3:27
How is the world reacting to Trump’s tariffs?
Economist warns of ‘spiral of doom’
The turbulence in the markets from Mr Trump’s tariffs “just left everybody in shock”, Garrett Melson, portfolio strategist at Natixis Investment Managers Solutions in Boston, told Reuters.
He added that the economy could go into recession as a result, saying that “a lot of the pain, will probably most acutely be felt in the US and that certainly would weigh on broader global growth as well”.
Meanwhile, chief investment officer at St James’s Place Justin Onuekwusi said that international retaliation is likely, even as “it’s clear countries will think about how to retaliate in a politically astute way”.
He warned: “Significant retaliation could lead to a tariff ‘spiral of doom’ that could be the growth shock that drags us into recession.”
It comes as the UK government published a long list of US products that could be subject to reciprocal tariffs – including golf clubs and golf balls.
Running to more than 400 pages, the list is part of a four-week-long consultation with British businesses and suggests whiskey, jeans, livestock, and chemical components.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said on Thursday that the US president had launched a “new era” for global trade and that the UK will respond with “cool and calm heads”.
It also comes as Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced a 25% tariff on all American-imported vehicles that are not compliant with the US-Mexico-Canada trade deal.
He added: “The 80-year period when the United States embraced the mantle of global economic leadership, when it forged alliances rooted in trust and mutual respect and championed the free and open exchange of goods and services, is over. This is a tragedy.”