The owners of Liverpool FC have said they are open to offers, raising the prospect of the club being sold.
The Fenway Sports Group (FSG), which also owns the Boston Red Sox, bought the club in 2010, with it going on to win the Premier League in 2019-20 and the Champions League in 2019.
In a statement FSG said: “There have been a number of recent changes of ownership and rumours of changes in ownership at EPL clubs and inevitably we are asked regularly about Fenway Sports Group’s ownership in Liverpool.
“FSG has frequently received expressions of interest from third parties seeking to become shareholders in Liverpool. FSG has said before that under the right terms and conditions, we would consider new shareholders if it was in the best interests of Liverpool as a club.
“FSG remains fully committed to the success of Liverpool, both on and off the pitch.”
The club is principally owned by John W Henry, alongside FSG chairman Tom Werner.
The pair have looked at other opportunities in the past, but nothing has ever come of them.
More from UK
It is understood banks Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley will help with the sale process if an offer is accepted.
Fans group Spirit of Shankly (SOS) said it had written to the club for “clarification” and hoped that fans would be consulted over any potential sale.
Advertisement
The group said in a statement: “We have seen reports today that FSG have put Liverpool FC up for sale.
“Spirit of Shankly have written to LFC for clarification and will await a reply before making comment.
“We do, however, expect both the Supporters Board and SOS to be engaged in some part of the process so that supporters are front and centre of any sale and the first thoughts of prospective owners.”
The way Liverpool’s owners are characterising it, is that they are always welcome to expressions of interest in potentially investing in the club, but their willingness to go public in some way signals a desire and keenness to have external fresh investment come in – maybe potentially a full takeover.
A crucial part of the statement is the way they reference recent changes of ownership in the Premier League – they now know, effectively, how much the value of a club at the top end is, especially since Chelsea was sold in May.
That could really be a signal from Liverpool, they are trying to test the market here.
They say in their statement they remain “fully committed” to the club, but things have changed significantly – even in the past decade or so – in terms of the landscape of finances across European football.
It’s increasingly hard for Liverpool to compete with those clubs that are state owned – Qatar owns Paris St Germain, Manchester City is being funded from Abu Dhabi and Newcastle from Saudi Arabia.
The struggles Liverpool are enduring this season – they are only eighth in the Premier League – might be a signal they want fresh investment in the club.
This statement certainly indicates they will be interested.
Liverpool have seen great success under manager Jürgen Klopp, who took the position in 2015, and Anfield itself has also benefited under FSG.
The ground has a new £110m Main Stand and work on the £80m Anfield Road Stand is due to finish next summer.
This will take capacity at the ground to 61,000.
Earlier this year, Russian Roman Abramovich completed the sale of Chelsea FC to an investment group led by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital for £2.5bn.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.
The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.
JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.
In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.
“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”
The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.
More on Donald Trump
Related Topics:
JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.
“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.
Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.
All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.
Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.
For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.
Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.
Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.
In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.
Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.
They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.
The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.
Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.
“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.
A 15-year-old boy has died after “getting into difficulty” in a lake in southeast London, police say.
Officers and paramedics were called shortly after 3pm on Friday to Beckenham Place Park in Lewisham.
The Metropolitan Police said a boy “was recovered from the lake” at around 10.42pm the same day.
“He was taken to hospital where he was sadly pronounced dead. His death is being treated as unexpected but not believed to be suspicious,” according to the force.
The boy’s family has been told and are being supported by specialist officers.
The force originally said the child was 16 years old, but has since confirmed his age as 15.
In the earlier statement, officers said emergency services carried out a search and the park was evacuated.
More from UK
Image: Emergency teams were called to Beckenham Place Park on Friday afternoon
Beckenham Place Park, which borders the London borough of Bromley, covers around 240 acres, according to the park’s website.
The lake is described as 285 metres long, reaching depths of up to 3.5 metres.
It is designed as a swimming lake for open-water swimming and paddle boarding.
A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said on Friday: “We were called at 3.02pm this afternoon to reports of a person in the water.
“We sent resources to the scene, including an ambulance crew, an incident response officer and members of our hazardous area response team.”
Emergency teams have not explained how the boy entered the water, or whether he was accompanied by others.