As Boston Red Sox outfielder Rob Refsnyder walked into Fenway Park last week, a heckler waiting by the player parking lot called out a question many fans have been asking in the early days of the 2023 season.
“You’re hitting in the 3-hole again?!”
It’s been a surprise to Refsnyder too. In eight seasons with six teams, he has played nearly every position on the diamond and hit in every spot in the lineup. But he isn’t exactly known for being penciled into the 3-hole, a place in the order traditionally designated for a team’s best hitter.
“I came in on a minor league deal last year — I get it,” Refsnyder said of the naysayers. “All of that is so out of my control.”
Players like Refsnyder have had to step up as injuries have rocked the Red Sox early on this season.
Negative attention from fans and the media brought down the mood in a Boston clubhouse that was already struggling to remain positive. The team got swept by the white-hot Tampa Bay Rays in a four-game series ending April 13 that left Boston with a 5-8 record, worst in the American League East. The rotation, highlighted by the struggles of Chris Sale and Corey Kluber, ranked 25th in baseball with a 5.42 ERA. It seemed as if the season was already starting to slip away.
In their first game following the sweep, the Red Sox defeated the Los Angeles Angels 5-3. Still, the team remained somber. As veteran infielder Justin Turner looked around the clubhouse, he noticed a room full of guys putting too much on themselves. That’s when he decided to speak up.
“It seemed like there was uncertainty on what to do,” Turner said of his address to his teammates. “It’s like, man, if you win a major league ballgame, it doesn’t matter what type of year it is or what the record is, you enjoy that. You celebrate that. Winning is not easy to do, and this is a game, but you got to enjoy it.”
Boston has gone 7-4 in its past 11 games, starting with that win against the Angels. Since April 15, Boston ranks second in the majors in runs scored behind only the Texas Rangers. At the heart of the Boston offense is Rafael Devers, who continues to be one of the most dynamic hitters in baseball, smacking his ninth homer of the season Monday night against the Baltimore Orioles. But the 26-year-old third baseman will need help if Boston — now 12-12 — is going to find ways to win.
Things have been better lately, but can the Red Sox keep it up? Here are four things that have been working for Boston so far:
1. Masataka Yoshida is hitting the ball in the air
Through the first 2½ weeks of the season, Yoshida’s performance stoked one of the biggest fears within the Red Sox’s fan base: that the Japanese outfielder would struggle to catch up with major league pitching. Through April 18, Yoshida was hitting .167/.310/.264, getting on base at a high clip but struggling to hit the ball in the air.
That has changed in the past week, with Yoshida hitting .476 over his previous five games against the Minnesota Twins, Milwaukee Brewers and Orioles while knocking in nine runs. On Sunday, he hit two homers in one inning, including a grand slam that helped Boston to a 12-5 win over Milwaukee. His average launch angle has ticked up from around -12 degrees to 12 degrees over his past 25 batted balls, according to Baseball Savant, indicating a dramatic shift in his ability to launch the ball into the air.
Boston is relying on Yoshida to be a catalyst in the middle of the order if it hopes to compete for a playoff spot — or at least stay out of the AL East basement for a second straight year.
2. Alex Verdugo is showing signs of a potential breakout season
Verdugo looks primed to have the breakout season that many expected last year. After going through some bad luck in the first half of 2022 with a lower-than-average batting average on balls in play (BABIP), Verdugo found his stroke in the second half, and he has continued to produce accordingly in 2023. He ranks in the 98th percentile among all hitters in baseball for expected batting average and the 93rd percentile for strikeout rate, providing dynamic at-bats from the leadoff spot while leading Boston in bWAR through the early part of the season.
But the biggest strides for Verdugo have come defensively, where he ranks in the 92nd percentile for outs-above-average while playing in Fenway Park’s spacious right field, which many players and evaluators say is as difficult as playing center field. Verdugo posted minus-5 outs above average in 2021 and minus-4 outs above average in 2022, leading him to rank below average defensively. So far this season, he has posted two outs above average.
And a side effect of Verdugo’s success: He might always be associated with the Mookie Betts deal, but Verdugo could carve out a place for himself in Boston too.
3. Justin Turner is successfully replacing J.D. Martinez
Boston signed the 38-year-old Turner this offseason to help bring some veteran leadership into the clubhouse, and through 24 games, Turner looks to be on track with his career averages, hitting .284/.385/.409 while primarily serving as the team’s designated hitter.
The team probably hoped to get some more production out of the DH spot after Martinez — another Boston veteran who left in free agency this past offseason — hit significantly fewer home runs as compared to his career averages in 2022, knocking 16 dingers with a 1.1 bWAR. While Turner has only averaged 19 home runs per 162 games in his 15-year MLB career, he has posted a bWAR higher than 1.1 in every season since 2014.
4. The bullpen is holding things together
Boston’s bullpen currently ranks ninth in baseball with a 3.25 ERA despite throwing the second most innings for a reliever group in the sport. Closer Kenley Jansen leads the way here, not allowing a run through his first seven appearances and posting a 1.04 FIP and 0.857 WHIP through seven innings.
One of the surprise highlights has been Josh Winckowski, who has looked dominant through his first eight appearances, allowing three runs in 16⅓ innings for a 1.65 ERA. Manager Alex Cora has gradually been putting Winckowski in more high-leverage situations. Additionally, sidearmer John Schreiber continues to look reliable out of the pen, posting a 2.45 ERA in 11 appearances so far.
There are some cracks, with Ryan Brasier and Kaleb Ort looking shaky. But with Zack Kelly and Chris Martin both going down with injuries, Cora doesn’t have many other options in the bullpen to rely on. This group’s dependability throughout the season will be critical.
Rodriguez led all the way to win the $750,000 Wood Memorial on Saturday, earning enough points to move into the 20-horse field for next month’s Kentucky Derby.
Breaking from the rail, the Bob Baffert-trained colt ran 1 1/8 miles on a fast track in 1:48.15 under Hall of Famer Mike Smith in light rain and 45-degree temperatures at Aqueduct in New York. Rodriguez won by 3 1/2 lengths.
The victory was worth 100 qualifying points for the May 3 Derby, potentially giving Baffert three entrants as he seeks a record-setting seventh victory in his return to the race from which he was banned for three years.
Later Saturday, Baffert was to saddle Citizen Bull, last year’s 2-year-old champion, and Barnes in the $500,000 Santa Anita Derby in California, where it was sunny and 82 degrees.
He sent Rodriguez to New York to split up his Derby contenders. The colt was sent off at 7-2 odds in the 10-horse field and paid $9.30 to win the 100th edition of the Wood. He is a son of 2020 Kentucky Derby winner Authentic.
“Bob told me this horse is probably quicker than you think,” Smith said. “He can get uptight pretty easy, and the whole key was just letting him alone out there. I don’t think he necessarily has to have the lead. He just wants to be left alone.”
Smith has twice won the Kentucky Derby. Rodriguez would be his first mount since 2022. At 59, he would be the oldest jockey to win.
“That’s up to all the owners and Bob,” Smith said. “I was glad they pulled me off the bench and I hit a 3-shot for them.”
Grande, trained by Todd Pletcher, was second. He went from having zero qualifying points to 50, which should get him into the Derby starting gate for owner Mike Repole, who is 0 for 7 in the Derby.
Passion Rules was third. Captain Cook, the 9-5 favorite, finished fourth for trainer Rick Dutrow, who hasn’t had a Derby runner since 2010 after winning the 2008 race with Big Brown.
The $1.25 million Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland was postponed from Saturday to Tuesday due to heavy rain and potential flooding in the region. That race and the Lexington Stakes on April 12 are the final Derby preps of the season.
LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska receiver Hardley Gilmore IV, who transferred from Kentucky in January, has been dismissed from the team, coach Matt Rhule announced Saturday.
The second-year player from Belle Glade, Florida, had come to Nebraska along with former Kentucky teammate Dane Key and receivers coach Daikiel Shorts Jr. and had received praise from teammates and coaches for his performance in spring practice.
Rhule did not disclose a reason for removing Gilmore.
“Nothing outside the program, nothing criminal or anything like that,” Rhule said. “Just won’t be with us anymore.”
Gilmore was charged with misdemeanor assault in December for allegedly punching someone in the face at a storage facility in Lexington, Kentucky, the Lexington Herald Leader reported on Jan. 2.
Gilmore played in seven games as a freshman for the Wildcats and caught six passes for 153 yards. He started against Murray State and caught a 52-yard touchdown pass on Kentucky’s opening possession. He was a consensus four-star recruit who originally chose Kentucky over Penn State and UCF.
The opening weekend of the 2025 MLB season was taken over by a surprise star — torpedo bats.
The bowling pin-shaped bats became the talk of the sport after the Yankees’ home run onslaught on the first Saturday of the season put it in the spotlight and the buzz hasn’t slowed since.
What exactly is a torpedo bat? How does it help hitters? And how is it legal? Let’s dig in.
What is a torpedo bat and why is it different from a traditional MLB bat?
The idea of the torpedo bat is to take a size format — say, 34 inches and 32 ounces — and distribute the wood in a different geometric shape than the traditional form to ensure the fattest part of the bat is located where the player makes the most contact. Standard bats taper toward an end cap that is as thick diametrically as the sweet spot of the barrel. The torpedo bat moves some of the mass on the end of the bat about 6 to 7 inches lower, giving it a bowling-pin shape, with a much thinner end.
How does it help hitters?
The benefits for those who like swinging with it — and not everyone who has swung it likes it — are two-fold. Both are rooted in logic and physics. The first is that distributing more mass to the area of most frequent contact aligns with players’ swing patterns and provides greater impact when bat strikes ball. Players are perpetually seeking ways to barrel more balls, and while swings that connect on the end of the bat and toward the handle probably will have worse performance than with a traditional bat, that’s a tradeoff they’re willing to make for the additional slug. And as hitters know, slug is what pays.
The second benefit, in theory, is increased bat speed. Imagine a sledgehammer and a broomstick that both weigh 32 ounces. The sledgehammer’s weight is almost all at the end, whereas the broomstick’s is distributed evenly. Which is easier to swing fast? The broomstick, of course, because shape of the sledgehammer takes more strength and effort to move. By shedding some of the weight off the end of the torpedo bat and moving it toward the middle, hitters have found it swings very similarly to a traditional model but with slightly faster bat velocity.
Why did it become such a big story so early in the 2025 MLB season?
Because the New York Yankees hit nine home runs in a game Saturday and Michael Kay, their play-by-play announcer, pointed out that some of them came from hitters using a new bat shape. The fascination was immediate. While baseball, as an industry, has implemented forward-thinking rules in recent seasons, the modification to something so fundamental and known as the shape of a bat registered as bizarre. The initial response from many who saw it: How is this legal?
OK. How is this legal?
Major League Baseball’s bat regulations are relatively permissive. Currently, the rules allow for a maximum barrel diameter of 2.61 inches, a maximum length of 42 inches and a smooth and round shape. The lack of restrictions allows MLB’s authorized bat manufacturers to toy with bat geometry and for the results to still fall within the regulations.
Who came up with the idea of using them?
The notion of a bowling-pin-style bat has kicked around baseball for years. Some bat manufacturers made smaller versions as training tools. But the version that’s now infiltrating baseball goes back two years when a then-Yankees coach named Aaron Leanhardt started asking hitters how they should counteract the giant leaps in recent years made by pitchers.
When Yankees players responded that bigger barrels would help, Leanhardt — an MIT-educated former Michigan physics professor who left academia to work in the sports industry — recognized that as long as bats stayed within MLB parameters, he could change their geometry to make them a reality. Leanhardt, who left the Yankees to serve as major league field coordinator for the Miami Marlins over the winter, worked with bat manufacturers throughout the 2023 and 2024 seasons to make that a reality.
When did it first appear in MLB games?
It’s unclear specifically when. But Yankees slugger Giancarlo Stanton used a torpedo bat last year and went on a home run-hitting rampage in October that helped send the Yankees to the World Series. New York Mets star Francisco Lindor also used a torpedo-style bat last year and went on to finish second in National League MVP voting.
Who are some of the other notable early users of torpedo bats?
Corking bats involves drilling a hole at the end of the bat, filling it in and capping it. The use of altered bats allows players to swing faster because the material with which they replace the wood — whether it’s cork, superballs or another material — is lighter. Any sort of bat adulteration is illegal and, if found, results in suspension.
Could a rule be changed to ban them?
Could it happen? Sure. Leagues and governing bodies have put restrictions on equipment they believe fundamentally altered fairness. Stick curvature is limited in hockey. Full-body swimsuits made of polyurethane and neoprene are banned by World Aquatics. But officials at MLB have acknowledged that the game’s pendulum has swung significantly toward pitching in recent years, and if an offensive revolution comes about because of torpedo bats — and that is far from a guarantee — it could bring about more balance to the game. If that pendulum swings too far, MLB could alter its bat regulations, something it has done multiple times already this century.
So the torpedo bat is here to stay?
Absolutely. Bat manufacturers are cranking them out and shipping them to interested players with great urgency. Just how widely the torpedo bat is adopted is the question that will play out over the rest of the season. But it has piqued the curiosity of nearly every hitter in the big leagues, and just as pitchers toy with new pitches to see if they can marginally improve themselves, hitters will do the same with bats.
Comfort is paramount with a bat, so hitters will test them during batting practice and in cage sessions before unleashing them during the game. As time goes on, players will find specific shapes that are most comfortable to them and best suit their swing during bat-fitting sessions — similar to how golfers seek custom clubs. But make no mistake: This is an almost-overnight alteration of the game, and “traditional or torpedo” is a question every big leaguer going forward will ask himself.