Connect with us

Published

on

Gogglebox star George Gilbey has died aged 40, a spokesperson for the show said.

The reality star appeared on the Channel 4 series alongside his mother Linda McGarry and stepfather Pete McGarry, who died aged 71 in 2021.

He also appeared on the 14th series of Celebrity Big Brother in 2014, reaching the final.

George Gilbey. Pic: Shutterstock
Image:
George Gilbey. Pic: Shutterstock

Gilbey reportedly died following an accident at work on Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the show said: “George was part of the Gogglebox family for eight series alongside his mum Linda and stepdad Pete.

“Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Linda and George’s family and friends at this very sad time. The family has asked for privacy.”

Essex Police said they were called to an incident in Shoebury in Southend-on-Sea on Wednesday.

More on Gogglebox

A spokesperson for the force said: “We received a report of an incident at Campfield Road in Shoebury at around 10am this morning (27 March), during which a man who was working at height had fallen and sustained an injury.

“The ambulance service including air ambulance were in attendance. Sadly, the man died at the scene.

“We will continue liaising with partners including the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

“A cordon remains in place at the scene.”

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Gilbey joined the award-winning programme in its second series in 2013 before he and his family were dropped in 2014 after he signed up for Celebrity Big Brother. The family later returned to the series.

The reality star from Essex appeared on the then-Channel 5 reality show alongside celebrities including The Hills star Stephanie Pratt and American actor Gary Busey, who won the series.

Gilbey’s representatives and the HSE have been approached for comment.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Spice Girls reunite for Victoria Beckham’s 50th birthday with Stop singalong

Published

on

By

Spice Girls reunite for Victoria Beckham's 50th birthday with Stop singalong

The Spice Girls have reunited for one night only in a bar for Victoria Beckham’s birthday.

The fashion designer and singer – famously also known as Posh Spice – celebrated with her bandmates at Oswald’s club in Mayfair, London, on Saturday, after turning 50 on Wednesday last week.

David Beckham had a front row seat to the reunion when Victoria, Melanie Brown, Emma Bunton, Geri Horner and Melanie Chisholm sang their single Stop.

The five grinned as they danced and performed the track while David, who filmed the throwback moment, smiled and sang along.

Posting the clip on Instagram on Sunday, Victoria called it “the best night ever” and wrote the hashtag “#SpiceUpYourLife”.

The last time all five Spice Girls performed together was at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Olympics in London.

The Spice Girls perform during the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium, August 12, 2012. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth (BRITAIN - Tags: SPORT OLYMPICS ENTERTAINMENT)
Image:
Victoria declined to join the Spice Girls last tour in 2019. Pic: Reuters

Before her birthday celebrations, Victoria posted on Instagram that she felt “so incredibly blessed to have reached this milestone” and added she was grateful for the “unconditional love and support” of David.

More on Spice Girls

While the girl group also went on tour in 2019, Victoria declined to join them as she focused on her fashion brand.

She also told American television presenter Ellen DeGeneres the same year that “it just didn’t feel like the right thing to do,” but said: “I’ll always be Posh Spice, always.”

Singer Marc Anthony, who is godfather to Victoria and David’s son Cruz, and actress Eva Longoria – godmother to their daughter Harper – also attended the party.

Other celebrities out for Posh Spice’s birthday included Tom Cruise and Salma Hayek, as well as Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Jason Statham and Gordon Ramsay.

Read more from Sky News:
A look back after Wannabe turned 25
Harry Styles’ stalker jailed
Is ‘Drake’s new track’ actually him?

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

It comes after Melanie B – also known as Scary Spice – hinted at another Spice Girls reunion in an interview with Reuters, this time with Victoria joining in.

“I can’t say exactly… but us five have been talking… for a long, long time now, many, many months,” she said.

“So, we’re going to announce something soon… and I know the fans are not going to be disappointed. It’s going to be very exciting.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Rebel Moon: Zack Snyder and Ed Skrein on ‘mad’ reaction and ‘media storms’ following first movie

Published

on

By

Rebel Moon: Zack Snyder and Ed Skrein on 'mad' reaction and 'media storms' following first movie

British actor Ed Skrein says he hasn’t paid attention to any of the reactions Rebel Moon has received online.

The Deadpool star told Sky News: “The weather system of media storms does not affect me, I don’t live in the media.”

Ed Skrein as Atticus Noble in Rebel Moon. Pic: Netflix
Image:
Ed Skrein as Atticus Noble in Rebel Moon. Pic: Netflix

The first instalment of Zack Snyder’s new franchise had a limited theatrical release before being added to Netflix in December last year.

The movie was the recipient of some less-favourable reviews, a 21% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and it averaged a two out of five-star score from over 100,000 accounts on Letterboxd.

The actor, who plays Admiral Atticus Noble in the franchise, says it’s the art itself that maintains his attention.

“The process of filming is my bit, you know, when we were out there, that’s my part.”

He adds: “I’ll pass the baton on and let people run with it.”

More on Netflix

Read more from Sky News:
Swift reveals ‘secret’ double album in ‘2am surprise’
The female gamers competing for thousands of pounds

Skrein returns for Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver despite his character meeting his fate in the first film.

“My friend is a painter from Andalusia in Spain and said to me the other day, when we make art, it’s like putting a message in a bottle and you throw it out and occasionally after a while you get a message back or you just get your bottle back.”

He continues: “In filmmaking, I thought about it, it’s like you have your initial reaction but then five years later, 10 years later, it’s like, now we can judge it.”

Djimon Hounsou as Titus and Staz Nair as Tarak. Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix
Image:
Djimon Hounsou as Titus and Staz Nair as Tarak. Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver continues with the storyline of orphan and ex-soldier Kora, played by Sofia Boutella, who looks to protect a peaceful colony from the ruthless Mother World.

Inspired by a rejection

Aside from Skrein, the cast includes Game Of Thrones Staz Nair, Gladiator actor Djimon Hounsou and The Age of Adeline’s Michiel Huisman.

The Rebel Moon franchise came into being after director Zack Snyder pitched the idea to Disney as a Star Wars film, but was rejected.

Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix
Image:
Rhian Rees as The Queen, Cary Elwes as The King, Sofia Boutella as Kora and Stella Grace Fitzgerald as Princess Issa. Pic: Clay Enos/Netflix

He signed an agreement with Netflix to create an entirely new franchise with the plan to extend into other formats like comic books.

The Army Of The Dead director recently went viral for his comments comparing the success of the first Rebel Moon film to Barbie, suggesting to the Joe Rogan podcast that “more people probably saw Rebel Moon than saw Barbie in the theatre”.

‘Everyone got mad at me’

Speaking to Sky News, he stands by the statement and says he’s “really impressed” by Netflix‘s business model.

Zack Snyder talking at the Rebel Moon Part Two: Songs Of The Rebellion Album release event in New York. Pic: Noam Galai/Netflix
Image:
Zack Snyder talking at the Rebel Moon Part Two: Songs Of The Rebellion Album release event in New York. Pic: Noam Galai/Netflix

He explains: “I think that was what I was getting at with the whole Barbie thing.”

Then adding: “Everyone got mad at me, but I’m just telling you what I heard, like, sorry if Netflix has such a giant audience. The point of what I was getting at was that the pipeline is so robust that it’s unbelievable. What a filmmaker wants is the movies to be seen.”

A third film hasn’t yet been greenlit by Netflix but the storyline and recent interviews with the director suggest there could be more on the horizon for Rebel Moon fans.

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver is available to stream now on Netflix.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department streamed more than 300 million times in one day

Published

on

By

Taylor Swift's The Tortured Poets Department streamed more than 300 million times in one day

Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department has become the first album in Spotify history to reach more than 300 million streams in a single day.

The 34-year-old singer also became the most-streamed artist in a single day on the platform when her record was released on 19 April, according to the streaming service.

Spotify wrote on X: “History made! On April 19, 2024, Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department was the first album in Spotify history to have over 300M streams in a single day.”

Analysis:
Marriage, babies, break-ups – breaking down the album

Swift’s 11th studio album includes collaborations with Florence And The Machine and Post Malone.

Fortnight, featuring Post Malone, is Swift’s first single from the album and also became Spotify’s most streamed song in a single day.

On social media Post Malone, whose real name is Austin Richard Post, said: “It’s once in a lifetime that someone like @taylorswift13 comes into this world.

More on Spotify

“I am floored by your heart and your mind, and I am beyond honoured to have been asked to help you with your journey I love you so much. Thank you Tay.”

On 18 April, Swift announced that Fortnight was the first single on her record and said a music video would drop after the album.

Read more:
‘Secret’ double album announced in ‘2am surprise’
The hidden meanings in the album’s lyrics

She also said she had been “a huge fan of Post because of the writer he is, his musical experimentation and those melodies he creates that just stick in your head forever”.

She added: “I got to witness that magic come to life firsthand when we worked together on Fortnight.”

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Fans react to new Taylor Swift album

The music video for the track includes an appearance from Dead Poets Society stars Ethan Hawke and Josh Charles.

Hours after dropping the 16-song edition of her album the US pop superstar announced an expanded version with an extra 15 songs, titled The Anthology.

Swift, who has 11 chart-topping UK albums, had announced the arrival of her latest record live on stage at the Grammy Awards in February.

The performer will bring her Eras Tour to the UK from 7 June, when she kicks off with three shows in Edinburgh with the run of London shows beginning on 21 June.

Continue Reading

Trending