Connect with us

Published

on

A GP hit by a cyber attack on the NHS in London has told Sky News he is worried patients will suffer long and short-term harm.

The health service has launched an urgent appeal for O blood-type donors following last Monday’s ransomware attack that has affected some of the largest hospitals in the capital.

Six large NHS Trusts were impacted including hospitals such as Guy’s and St Thomas’, Great Ormond Street and King’s College Hospital. Hundreds of operations have already been cancelled.

Dr James Taylor
Image:
Dr James Taylor

Dr James Taylor, a partner at the South Street Medical Centre in Greenwich, southeast London, told Sky News his surgery was told to cancel all routine blood tests last Monday when Synnovis, a company contracted by the NHS to perform blood tests, was targeted by hackers.

He said: “We were informed that the IT systems were down to process our blood results. So we were asked very urgently to cancel all of our blood test appointments. So immediately we had to cancel all our clinics. And they’re still cancelled.

“We are not booking any more patients in. And we’ve been told that we can’t book any more patients in until the end of June. So we’re waiting for an update on that.”

Graphic

Primary care has also been hit hard. Dr Taylor’s practice alone cares for 10,000 patients. Not one of them can have a routine blood test.

More on Cyberattacks

He said: “We all have been told that we can still send urgent results but there’s no way for them to send any of the information to us electronically.

“So yes, we’ve had to kind of alter the way that we work. We’ve had to supervise our staff here and decide what tests we can do and what we can’t do, and that is changing on a daily basis.”

Read more on the NHS:
Number of endometriosis patients waiting for treatment soars
Would you want to know if you’re likely to get cancer or dementia?

Qilin, a Russian group of cyber criminals, are understood to have been behind the attack.

Dr Taylor is worried about short and long-term harm to his patients.

He said: “There is a risk. There’s always a risk. This has been going on for about a week now, so hopefully it’s not too much longer because if you keep delaying these investigations by another few weeks or a month, then obviously the risk increases.

“But at the moment where we’re doing our best to manage it and hoping it’s a short-term problem.”

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

He added: “We couldn’t go on and not perform blood tests on people. And for blood tests that were perhaps slightly abnormal that we’d want to repeat. Those things are having to be delayed at the moment.”

Dr Taylor’s surgery would normally request around 125 blood tests a week.

Hospital pic

With up to four investigations for each test, that is nearly 1,000 results every week. And that is just in this practice.

In Greenwich, some 300,000 patients have been affected. Across London, that figure is much higher.

Dr Taylor has been told to expect a severe disruption to services at least until the end of the month. Clearing up the backlog and the fallout from this cyber attack will take much longer.

Continue Reading

UK

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Published

on

By

Labour MP Dan Norris arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences

Labour MP Dan Norris has been arrested on suspicion of rape and child sex offences.

A Labour Party spokesperson said: “Dan Norris MP was immediately suspended by the Labour Party upon being informed of his arrest.

“We cannot comment further while the police investigation is ongoing.”

Police said a man in his 60s had been arrested on Friday on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl, rape, child abduction and misconduct in a public office.

Sky News has contacted Mr Norris for comment.

Mr Norris, 65, defeated Jacob Rees-Mogg to win the new seat of North East Somerset and Hanham in last year’s general election.

He has also lost the party whip in the House of Commons and has stepped down from his role as chair of the League Against Cruel Sports.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a statement: “In December 2024, we received a referral from another police force relating to alleged non-recent child sex offences having been committed against a girl.

“Most of the offences are alleged to have occurred in the 2000s, but we’re also investigating an alleged offence of rape from the 2020s.

“An investigation, led by officers within Operation Bluestone, our dedicated rape and serious sexual assault investigation team, remains ongoing and at an early stage.

“The victim is being supported and given access to any specialist help or support she needs.

“A man, aged in his 60s, was arrested on Friday (April 4) on suspicion of sexual offences against a girl (under the Sexual Offences Act 1956), rape (under the Sexual Offences Act 2003), child abduction and misconduct in a public office. He’s been released on conditional bail for enquiries to continue.

“This is an active and sensitive investigation, so we’d respectfully ask people not to speculate on the circumstances so our enquiries can continue unhindered.”

Mr Norris first entered Parliament when Tony Blair came to power in 1997 and served as the Wansdyke MP until 2010.

He was an assistant whip under Mr Blair and served as a junior minister under Gordon Brown.

Mr Norris has also been West of England mayor since 2021 but is due to step down ahead of May’s local elections.

A spokesman for the League Against Cruel Sports, a UK-based animal welfare charity which campaigns to end sports such as fox hunting and game bird shooting, confirmed he had stepped down from his role.

“The charity cannot comment further while an investigation is ongoing,” a statement said.

Continue Reading

UK

Jaguar Land Rover to ‘pause’ US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Published

on

By

Jaguar Land Rover to 'pause' US shipments over Donald Trump tariffs

Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has said it will “pause” shipments to the US as the British car firm works to “address the new trading terms” of Donald Trump’s tariffs.

The US president has introduced a 25% levy on all foreign cars imported into the country, which came into force on Thursday.

JLR, one of the country’s biggest carmakers, exported about 38,000 cars to the US in the third quarter of 2024 – almost equal to the amount sold to the UK and the EU combined.

Follow live updates: Trump’s baseline 10% tariff kicks in

In a statement on Saturday, a spokesperson for the company behind the Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover brands said: “The USA is an important market for JLR’s luxury brands.

“As we work to address the new trading terms with our business partners, we are taking some short-term actions including a shipment pause in April, as we develop our mid- to longer-term plans.”

The company released a statement last week before Mr Trump announced a “baseline” 10% tariff on goods from around the world, which kicked in on Saturday morning, on what he called “liberation day”.

More on Donald Trump

JLR reassured customers its business was “resilient” and “accustomed to changing market conditions”.

“Our priorities now are delivering for our clients around the world and addressing these new US trading terms,” the firm said.

Trading across the world has been hit by Mr Trump’s tariff announcement at the White House on Wednesday.

All but one stock on the FTSE 100 fell on Friday – with Rolls-Royce, banks and miners among those to suffer the sharpest losses.

Read more: A red wall on Wall Street – but Trump seems to believe it will work out

Cars are the top product exported from the UK to the US, with exports worth £8.3bn in the year to the end of September 2024, according to data from the Office for National Statistics.

For UK carmakers, the US is the second largest export market behind the European Union.

Industry groups have previously warned the tariffs will force firms to rethink where they trade, while a report by thinktank the Institute for Public Policy Research said more than 25,000 car manufacturing jobs in the UK could be at risk.

Continue Reading

UK

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Published

on

By

Two people die after caravan fire at holiday park in Lincolnshire

Two people have died following a fire at a caravan site near Skegness, Lincolnshire Police have said.

In a statement, officers said they were called at 3.53am on Saturday to a report of a blaze at Golden Beach Holiday Park in the village of Ingoldmells.

Fire and rescue crews attended the scene, and two people were found to have died.

They were reported to be a 10-year-old girl and a 48-year-old man.

The force said the victims’ next of kin have been informed and will be supported by specially trained officers.

Officers are trying to establish the exact cause of the blaze.

“We are at the very early stages of our investigation and as such we are keeping an open mind,” the force said.

Two fire crews remain at the scene.

Continue Reading

Trending